Sculptures, Black Rocks and a Waterfall

From Munising we headed to Houghton but first we made a few stops along the way. 
                              

Our first stop was Lakenenland, a sculpture park located in Chocolay Township, Michigan. The park was founded in 2003, when artist Tom Lakenen moved his collection of scrap iron sculptures from his yard to a plot of land near the Lake Superior coast. The 37-acre park features over 100 metal art creations in the creator's "junkyard art" style.

It is free. There is parking, picnic benches and portable restrooms. You have the option to drive through it or walk. We chose to walk. 




What we did not expect was how political the sculptures were going to be and Tom, you are a man after my own heart.






His disclaimer was especially heartfelt. Once again Tom, I am with you. 





It took us almost an hour to walk through it and it was absolutely worth the stop. 

Next we headed over to Marquette. Marquette is the largest city in the Upper Peninsula, located along the southern shore of Lake Superior. Northwest of Marquette is Presque Isle Park, a 323-acre public park and on the far side of Presque Isle sits a large rocky outcropping called the Black Rocks. That was our destination. 

The black rocks are a 1.7-billion-year-old metamorphosed peridotite and a popular spot for cliff jumping. 


They developed a rock skipping obsession. The rocks were all so pretty!


There were more than a few people rock hunting.. mostly for agate.


This person was very into it.




There were so many people cliff jumping.. it was fun to just sit and watch them.

Eventually we made it back to our car and then made our way towards a lunch spot. We went to Slabz which just happened to be inside a Ramada. So odd but the food was very good. 




Next stop, Canyon Falls. 


It was a half mile hike.


and just a little underwhelming. 


We arrived in Houghton late afternoon and snuck in a quick swim in the hotel pool as well as some jacuzzi time before heading out for dinner. Downtown Houghton was a nice walkable area.. and we had dinner at The Library. 


The book lover in me had high expectation for this place.. the decor was great but unfortunately the food was just alright. 


                            Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle 

Comments

Margaret D said…
Thanks for taking us along. Love the waterfall, looks great.
Penelope Notes said…
Tom exhibits his sense of citizen responsibility uniquely and artistically in these tough times. Also, that is a great capture of your three guys throwing stones into the water. :)
Jeanie said…
I have never heard of that sculpture park, but Tom the Artist gets my vote for being a wise, articulate and talented man! Especially living in the north and even more so, in the very red upper peninsula! You maxed out your time and it's fabulous!
Kelly said…
What an incredible sculpture park! I'll pass on the cliff jumping, but happily skip stones.
Liz A. said…
The best part of a road trip are the stops along the way.
Oh my, The Library. You are brining back memories to me ... my husband went to college at MTU. He lived above The Library and it started on fire!!! He and all the others had to get out of their apartments. Thankfully the fire was taken care of quickly. They had bad smoke damage. This all happened the first year I was dating him. He had two years of college left when we met. I visited Houghton many times. I enjoyed it.
Did you happen to eat at the Ambassador?
Yvonne said…
This looks great and beautiful photos.
Joanne said…
That sounds like such a lovely day. The sculpture garden looks so interesting.
Wow! Those sculptures are so unique and creative ~ lovely waterfalls and cliffs too ~
namaste
Emmylou said…
Oh my goodness! Your boys have grown so much! Great pics as always and love the sculptures:)
Jeff the Chef said…
You're doing some amazing travelling. I live kind of near the Mackinaw Bridge, but I haven't been deep up into the UP in quite a number of years.
Beautiful photos. Looks like a great time. The food looks delicious.
Jeanette said…
I'm so glad you got to experience our beautiful upper peninsula. I hope you found time to visit Bond Falls or Tahquamenon Falls, which are not quite so underwhelming! I have been to the UP many times and never been to the sculpture park, thank goodness Pretty despicable in my opinion.
Ashley Sapp said…
It sounds like a great trip! I love the black rocks!
Now THAT is a great folk art sculpture park! Thanks for taking us along with you!

And I used to go agate hunting here on the Canadian prairies when I was a kid whenever the municipality would re-gravel our gravel roads. The gravel from our local gravel pit was always full of agates. The best time to spot them was right after a rainfall, because they would shine among the grey wet gravel. Our town's "Rock Shop" (the local lapidary store) would pay us one dollar per pound of agates. Good money for a kid 60 years ago, LOL!

I'm home from my road trip now and back to daily blogging, just FYI.
Oh wow, that sculpture park is amazing! :D
Love your travel photos, as always. That waterfall is stunning. Happy Tuesday!
These photos made me smile and feel good
Another beautiful adventure!
karen said…
We lived in Marquette for three years when our family was very young. I have fond memories of being there!!
Sounds like a fantastic road trip!
Angie's Recipes said…
Those sculptures are really special!
Theresa Mahoney said…
The sculptures are quite interesting! I may have to drive up and have a peek for myself. Michigan is such a beautiful state to explore. It's always one of my favorites to return to because it's beautiful in every season.
So much humor and whimsey in the sculpture park. Love!
Amalia
xo
It looks so beautiful there. I would love to agate hunting!

https://www.kathrineeldridge.com
It's wonderful to see the sculptures and to know that others are working for better lives for average people. We were over on the other side of Michigan at the same time---did you see me waving at you across the lake? lol
Melis said…
Such a lovely adventure, even if the falls weren't as grand as you'd hoped ;-) I, to, adore hunting rocks! You found some good ones and the photo of your family skipping rocks is perfection! I hope you'll frame it :-)
Debbie said…
again with the food....what's up with that??!! you are a very lucky family to have traveled so much and seen so much of the world. the sculptures were quite interesting, it reminded me a little of the "troll trek" we both did!! really beautiful pictures today, they represent the adventure well!!
Cliff jumping looks very popular!
Those rocks do indeed look pretty!

All the best Jan
What a fun outing. I love the waterfalls and the junkyard art!
A rock hound's dream! Someday, I'll get out there for some rock picking.
Amy Johnson said…
It's good to see you in the upper midwest! You're closer to my neck of the woods. Michigan is such a fun state and there are lots of amazing waterfalls even if this one was underwhelming to you.
DeniseinVA said…
I would have enjoyed walking around this sculpture park. Great photos from your latest trip and thank you so much for sharing them with us. I always enjoy the ones of you and your dear family especially. Happy weekend to you all :)
Strayer said…
I like the photo of all three of your guys skipping rocks. I'd like to Michigan one day since two of my friends moved there. Sure would be nice to see them again some day. I am curious about all the lakes (because I love water so much). I probably would have been in line to jump.
21 Wits said…
Thanks exploring it's what we all can use!
wow such fascinating sculptures! and yes very political!
sherry
Conniecrafter said…
You have me so jealous it has been a couple years since we have been in the U.P. i hadn't heard of that park, looks like he keeps busy with them. I was wondering if you all were going to try the cliff jumping. Since I have been afraid of heights all my life I would never try that. The water fall is so pretty, a good amount of water going over. Have you ever gone to Tahquamenon Falls the walk to them is so pretty and I love the rust colors in the falls too.
Veronica Lee said…
Looks like such a memorable outing -- the art pieces are fascinating.
Lisa Mandina said…
The sculpture garden is amazing. And I would have been looking at all the rocks too! Although I have to stop myself from trying to collect anything like that as I have tons of rocks already, lol. Looks like another great trip!
https://lisalovesliterature.bookblog.io/2026/10/02/favorite-first-lines-september-2026/

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography