One Day in Disneyland

On our fourth day of our California trip we went to Disneyland. It was our first time visiting Disneyland. We had been to Disney World twice before, once in 2015 with my parents and then again in 2016 with M's sister and parents. We hated it. Both kids were under the age of five, the lines, they weren't tall enough to ride any of the good stuff and oh the lines! M and I had vowed never again.

But here we were planning a trip to California and well when I asked the kids they said they definitely wanted to do it.. argh!  

We stayed at ALO Hotel by Ayres a couple minutes away from the park. My cousin mentioned parking was horrible at the park and suggested we take an Uber instead. But turns out Anaheim offers a bus you can call.. I'm not 100% sure what it was but we hopped on right outside our hotel and it dropped us off right at the gate. You had to pay once and then could ride it as many times as you like.. 

We had bought the Disney Genie Plus.. which I highly highly recommend.. it is worth every single dollar. 

We arrived around 8:30 and breezed through entrance lines. And then we got to work!


FIRST RIDE - INDIANA JONES - we didn't need to use our Genie + as the line was only 15 mins long. Great ride.


SECOND RIDE - BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN - again no need to use our Genie + as the lines we so short.. fun fun!


THIRD RIDE - FALCON RUN - finally used our Genie + and the wait was still over 30 mins. As someone who has never seen a single Star Wars movie I was still impressed with the amount of work was put into the creation of the land. Another great ride.

Now time for a break and a drink (non alcoholic) until we waited for our next Genie + to become active. We stopped at Olga's Cantina for some really fun drinks. We had the Hyperdrive, Jaba Juice and Blurgfire. 



FOURTH RIDE - MATTERHORN - we used our Genie + but the line was still a little long. Nothing like I would imagine summer weekend crowds would be so not going to complain.


SIXTH RIDE - SPACE MOUNTAIN we used our Genie + again. Seriously.. you have to splurge on one if you go.. so worth it. This was my favorite ride. 

SEVENTH RIDE - BUZZ LIGHTYEAR we did not use our Genie + because the app said it was a 25 minute line but that was a big fat lie.. it was so long.. and the sun was on top of us and these are all the reasons I hate theme parks.. but the ride was fun. 


EIGHT RIDE -AUTOTOPIA we used our Genie + but if you are short for time I'd say skip this one. Again we were in the heat and the cars go pretty slowly on a fixed track. 

Afterwards we took a lunch break. We stopped at the Begal BBQ. The kids looked for a spot to sit, M got in line for the food and I got in line at the Tropical Hideaway for some dole whips.



Disney has seriously upped it food game.. those skewers we so good and the dole whips hit the spot. I didn't get a picture of the skewers.. my line was longer then M's so by the time I got to them the skewers were almost gone and I was too hungry for picture taking. The dole whips I got were a pineapple strawberry swirl for the kids and chili mango one for us.. it was so good. 

Now back to the rides. 

NINTH RIDE - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN - no Genie + allowed. We would have done this earlier as it is close to Indiana Jones but it was closed at the time. The line was now insane and the ride was just meh. 

TENTH RIDE - STAR TOURS - Genie + was used. This was a really fun ride. It was purely virtual reality with some 4D element but super cool.

It was around 3pm and with ten rides down we were feeling pretty good. We didn't plan on doing Peter Pan and other more kiddie rides in Fantasyland unless the lines were crazy short and we had time. My kids weren't intrested in meeting characters. The only really big ride on our list was the Star Wars one and they didn't except Genie + and the lines were close to two hours long. So we had a family meeting. Decided to take a break.. go back to the hotel.. regroup and come back later for the Star Wars ride and the fireworks. 

But then we saw the Small World ride had only a 15 minute wait and you have to do it right? It's a classic.

ELEVENTH RIDE - SMALL WORLD we didn't use our Genie + but once again.. big mistake. They had some issue with the ride and the line turned out to be too long.. but we were already so far along in the line.. do we leave.. do we stay? Thankfully our wait coincided with the parade and we were in the parade route as well.. so that killed some time.. but it was still a big mistake. Small World is a crap ride. It is outdated, racist and full of stereotypes.. and just so bad. I would never ever get on this ride ever again. Both kids hated it and complained through the whole thing singing 'It's a stupid world after all' 

BREAK

We called for the shuttle bus and in 10 minutes we were back at the hotel. We took an hour long break and then headed out for dinner.

We went to Bundu Khan a Pakistani BBQ place.. New Jersey doesn't have enough good Pakistani places, lots of Indians places and there is a huge difference between Indian and Pakistani food.. huge!



Oh we were in food heaven.. even H who had a headache perked up...

This time we called an uber to get us back to Disney.


TWELFTH RIDE - STAR WARS RISE OF THE RESISTANCE - It was down to a 75 min wait time now.. but with the sun's heat gone and our bellies full it wasn't too bad. The wait was worth it.. the hype was worth it.. and I'm not even into Star Wars.. 


Time for the fireworks.. while we didn't get prime frontal spots there were plenty of spots on the side.. no shoving and we were able to sit on the steps and enjoy them. I had expected just fireworks but there was a video montage and music as well.. oh my heart.. the Disney loving little girl in me was moved to tears.. We were never well off enough to come to Disney when my brother and I were little. Plus my parents owned a local mom and pop shop so any trips were a big deal, couldn't ever close the shop. 

Before we left we squeezed in one last ride.

THIRTEENTH RIDE - JUNGLE CRUISE there was barely a line. This is a great ride. Actually the ride part is not really interesting but it's the boat driver that really makes the trip.. our captain was hilarious and we ended the night perfectly.


We couldn't have imagined a better Disney day.. and that is mainly because Disneyland is only 500 acre big whereas Disney World is 30000 acres in size. They have almost the same amount of rides but the size made it easy for us to get from one place to another and the Genie + definitely helped. 





               Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6   

Comments

  1. Wonderful smiling people, how good is that to see - and seems you enjoyed your time there compared to Disney World. Does depend on children's age, that seems to make a difference.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so fun! I've been to Disneyland once and I was about 18 months so I would love to go back.

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was an adult by the time I got to visit Disney World because my family never took real vacations either. I went during their off season, I think February, so it wasn't very busy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, especially the last one. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look good in mouse ears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew Disneyland was smaller than World but didn´t know it was by that much. I have only been to Disney World. It was our family´s least favorite vacation. In February, the lines were terrible and Florida was not living up to its ¨Sunshine¨ state motto which was disappointing. I enjoyed reading about your day in Disneyland. You guys did a great job going on many rides and making good decisions about when to take breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like so much fun! We have never been to Disneyland but we have been to WDW many, many times (always in the off season!) but I am a huge Disney fan and have even talked my husband into an adults only trip there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to hear you had such a great day at Disney. Love the pictures and all of the rides sound fun. I LOVE Pakistani food too so I'm a bit jealous. You look so cute with your mouse ears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you and yours have a lot of fun in great place...
    nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has never interested me to go to either of them so we haven't. I am not good on rides, I get motion sickness so I think it would be a waste, but I do think it would be interesting to just walk around. Glad it wasn't all a bust for you and better now that the kids are older!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10/09/2023

    Looks like so much. Glad you all enjoyed.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad this was a better experience for you than Disney World! It's been decades since I've done either. I love that last photo of the family. You all look so happy and relaxed (not always an easy thing after a day in a theme park!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a fun day, even with its ups and downs! Can't believe how many rides you guys managed to do. The waiting lines, though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Un lugar muy interesante para visitar. Los niños disfrutan mucho y también los mayores. De visitar alguno iría al de París, ya que es el que tengo más cerca.
    Feliz semana.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great trip! Fantastic pictures. Looks like you all had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like you all had so much fun! I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a kid. I need to take my children sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to go to Disneyland or Disneyworld isn't going to happen with you know living in a different country and having no money but I can still enjoy photos and posts by others about the places

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photographs, you must have some great memories :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven’t been to Disneyland in decades but it was fun to see that your family enjoyed many of the rides we did then too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah, the lines are insane. A lot of those rides have changed since I was there last. I always loved the Fantasyland rides (I don't do roller coasters) and my favorite is the Haunted Mansion. I was never a fan of Pirates. I think the last time I went on it I was a kid. And It's a Small World... Yeah, mistake. How long was the song stuck in your head after? (We'd do it when we needed to cool off, but it was last resort.)

    That's one thing my area has--lots of cuisines from numerous cultures. Name it and you can usually find it not too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was so good to read. I can see why having the Genie + makes it so much better. Standiing in lines seems so unproductive otherwise.
    XOXO
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes this is what I remember the lines. Just crazy I would agree the pass is worth it. Your trip looked super fun and a great success. With the kids being older now they can fully appreciate and enjoy what the park has to offer.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I must admit that this would be my worst nightmare, Disney and theme parks aren't my bag at all but I'm glad you all had fun! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. This post brings back memories of Disneyland and Disney World. What a fun time. My boys loved whatever was Star Wars when we went.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. If I ever get a chance to go to Disneyland, I'll pull up this post and use it as a reference. Very, very helpful, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great day at the park! I've been to Disney World countless times (I live in FL) but have never been to Disneyland. I had no idea in was so much smaller than Disney World.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Y'all are the classiest and most fun tourist around! Great reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I got tired just reading about all the rides you guys did! :P I've been to Disneyland with hubby before kids and had a good time.:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm a Disneyworld fan but I enjoyed Disneyland too. It's a much slower pace and everything is so close together which is nice! You guys really made the most of your one day. You all look so cute in your Disney shirts and hats!

    ReplyDelete
  30. goodness you guys took disney by storm! what a day and I love that you found 'real' Pakistani food. So glad you all had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so happy you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for brightening my day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks like you had a wonderful time! We used to live about half an hour from Disneyland in the early 1980's. We had family passes and went there many times but haven't been since. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I didn't realize Disneyland was that much smaller than Disneyworld. You guys really made the most of your day there!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've never been to Disneyland, just Disney World -- and never with kids.It looks like you maxed out every single second! I love the happy smiles on the whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  35. God bless your parents and their Mom and Pop shop. We need more of those and it's sad that so many have been squeezed out. Happy Wednesday, Hena! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so jealous! I've been to Disneyland Paris and Disney World but not here! Love a Disney park.

    Corinne x
    https://skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. We have never been to any Disney, no desire, but I am glad that you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous10/11/2023

    You have a gift for traveling well with your family -- looks like everyone had a fabulous time (even you!). (anno)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've always wondered how Disneyland compared to Disneyworld, as someone who has only been to the Florida locale. Glad to hear you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Have never been to a Disney...looks like that you all had a fabulous time together.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looks like you had a busy and fun day at Disneyland. I visited Disneyworld once and that was enough for me. After the small world ride, I hope I never have to hear that song again! LOL Great mouse ears too :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. So fun! I've always wanted to go to Disneyland in California. We've been to Disneyworld Orlando since it's closest. Wonderful photos and memories! The genie is a must 100% or else you're waiting endless hours and can only get on a few rides without that. The Star Wars section looks amazing there. The fireworks at Disney are always wonderful too. Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It looks like a great time but ugh! Those wait times would have done me in! I remember waiting a lot in line when we took our kids to Disneyworld back in the late 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a little kid.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I've been to Disney World but never Disney Land. It looks like such a fun day!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  46. It looks like a wonderful day - but I am sure it was very, very tiring as well. Love the smiling faces of your happy family.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous10/17/2023

    It looks like you all had a great time in Disneyland. It’s nice that the kids could appreciate and enjoy everything.

    ReplyDelete
  48. That looks like such a fun family day out!
    Julia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography