Exploring San Diego

Let's take a step back into August, when we got on to a red eye and headed to San Diego. A few days prior to our departure we learnt that a hurricane was heading to San Diego and planning on hitting us while we were there. :( 
M and I have a new motto in life.. we say it often enough. 

We rented a car and headed to our hotel. We stayed at the Omni San Diego Hotel in the Gaslamp Quarter. The hotel was very nice (travel tip - find out what your hotels parking policy is) The parking per night was $40 but if you spent a few extra minutes and didn't mind walking you could find free street parking as it was the weekend, there was also an abundance of parking garages in the area charging half on the cost. So M dropped us off with the bags while he found parking. Staying in that neighborhood was hands down our best decision! It was a party area.. a bit loud but when a hurricane is headed your way you want to be in a lively area where restaurants will dare to stay open. But before we get to the doom and gloom of the hurricane.. 

Day One

When you think San Diego you think the zoo. It is the number one rated zoo in the world, housing 4,000 animals of more than 650 species and subspecies on 100 acres. It is the most visited zoo in the United States. Have you ever been? Thoughts?

But first breakfast.. we ate at The Breakfast Company just a few steps away from our hotel. Food reel here




I have been to maybe six different zoo's.. Bronx zoo being the one we have visited most often. Would I say this is the best zoo ever.. I don't know. I don't think I have been to enough zoos' to make that call but I'll tell you what I liked about it. I liked that it was small. There were a lot of animals in a small space. The Bronx zoo is massive.. you can never see all the animals, it takes a whole day and you are exhausted afterwards. This zoo on the other hand took half a day and I think we saw a decent amount of animals. The orangutans and baboons put on a great show. I made more videos than I took pictures hence the lack thereof.  Kid's never got to the point of frustrated exhaustion, which is a plus. We loved that it had a cable car and a bus that helped us get from one far away location to the next. So it gets a thumbs up from me. 

Knowing we had a hurricane looming over us we thought to cram more into this day.. not knowing what the next day held.

Next stop Sunset Cliffs.. 






There were multiple parking lots along the way so not too hard to find parking.. we walked along the edge and went down the stairs and explored the tide pools. We wish we had time to explore or head down to the beach but we had dinner plans with friends.

We drove along Cabrillo Memorial Drive to Point Loma Lighthouse but it was closed. But on the way we made the most intriguing discovery.. 


Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery - the final resting place for more than 120,000 people. This cemetery which borders our park is one of the largest national cemeteries in the United States. We had never seen this many graves.. so white and symmetrical.. it was quite a sight. The oldest grave dating back to 1846.

Now time for some dinner and a reunion. Our friends who once lived in New Jersey in our neighboring town moved to San Diego almost a decade ago.. we have seen each other maybe twice since but there are some friends you can not see for years and then meet like no time has passed at all. 

We met for dinner in Old Town. Couldn't have ended the day any better.  

DAY TWO

Day of the hurricane. It started out just raining. As an East Coaster we are very familiar with rain and hurricanes so we weren't too concerned. We headed out for breakfast. We ate at The Broken Yolk also just a few steps away from the hotel. The hotel was very kind in providing us all with umbrellas. 

                                             

Afterwards we walked to our car and headed out to just drive around.. many things were closed.. beaches were barricaded.. They weather was still mild. Just rain. 



It was a little drizzle really.. barely a hurricane but even the Starbucks were closed. In a couple of hours we had already driven everywhere and were now bored. We headed back in the direction of our hotel and found an ice cream place that was open and a pizza place right next door. Our lucky stars. lol



So of course we had our dessert first and then grabbed our pizza to eat in our hotel. The pizza place was take out only. Now I must say that Cali's Ice Cream was by far the most delicious ice cream ever.. ever.

The hotels pool was outdoors so also closed.. we grabbed some hotel coffee and settled down to play D's geography game which he was probably the only one super excited to play. 


Still bored and with so many more hours in the day we headed out again and found a go karting place.



The kids had fun. And we killed some time.

We headed back to the hotel, showered and ordered some thai food which was thankfully open! Watched a movie and called it a day.

And so we ended our adventures in San Diego. Not a great start to the trip but as I said before.. It is what it is.. 


                                           
                                                                                source





                   Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6     

Comments

  1. Interesting read. At least you found the GoCarts open for your sons to enjoy.
    It always looks fresh when raining and after it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hurricane might have been a bit of a bust, but it certainly makes for a great story..."Remember the time we went to San Diego during a hurricane..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. San Diego is such a beautiful city! Those photos at the oceans are wonderful! Would love to visit the San Diego Zoo one day.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to visit San Diego! Your photos of Sunset Cliffs are beautiful!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will never forget that trip! We loved San Diego when we visited, minus the hurricane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my daughter's in-laws live there and she has been to the zoo many many times. What a lovely trip even though the weather was challenging. dessert before dinner is a captivating idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great trip, even with the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. San Diego is a great town to visit except when there is a hurricane coming. The zoo is amazing. Probably the best zoo I have ever seen.
    You can sure eat well there as well and I never thought the traffic was very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny that all those businesses closed for a hurricane that never even seemed to amount to anything. They must be so used to mild weather that any kind of threat of more extreme weather seems super scary to them. Here in Wisconsin we get so many storms all the time, and everyone usually just drives through it and goes to work as usual. I wonder why the San Diego Zoo is number 1 in the world if it is so small?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a fun time to me! My younger daughter visited the SD Zoo 15 years ago and loved it. I would have been happy to play the geography game. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well the ice cream was a slam dunk! I am on the fence about zoos. When we lived in the Chicagoland area we took the kids to the Brookfield Zoo all the time. It was pretty great for the littles and you felt as though all good parents were required to do the zoo thing at least once during nice weather. I think we held our Erica's first birthday party there -- May 30, 1987 -- with a candle stuck into a Twinkie, hahaa! A sweet memory since we held her wedding reception in 2018 at Columbia's Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens. I love rainy days although they can put a damper (haha) on a vacation. I like both how you admitted there was some boredom, and also how you all tackled it. Beautiful family and wonderful memories. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, the hurricane was a bit of a bust, and you were far enough away to miss the earthquake. I do love San Diego. When my grandparents lived there (in San Diego County, not San Diego proper), we'd get to Sea World and the zoo and the wild animal park (which is called something different now) all the time. My favorite was the space museum, though. I looooved the space museum. I haven't been in way too long. (It's about 2 hours from me.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. San Diego is so beautiful. I love it! Glad you guys enjoyed your vacay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went to San Diego years ago. It's so beautiful. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing, Hena....the good and even the boring:D That go-karting looked like fun for sure though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you made the most of your visit. :) I enjoyed reading about it. Best wishes, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never been to the San Diego Zoo but we do tend to stop in and visit zoos whenever we are near one so we've seen quite a large variety of animals through the years. So far I am most impressed with the zoo we explored in Omaha. But I do like the two small zoos we have right near us too because they are so walkable and we know them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A hurricane is never an ideal weather situation but at least it ended up being nothing more than rain which is annoying but still better than a hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will never get to visit San Diego but that's ok, I enjoyed the post and liked the photos, I do like visiting zoos

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way that you make the most of every trip and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your beautiful photos of Sunset Cliffs.
    Happy Tuesday, Hena.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9/25/2023

    We went to San Diego 2 summer ago for the first time and loved it. I remember the zoo being very hilly and I got a good workout in.

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you had a great time regardless. Stunning pictures! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was a memorable trip, for all sorts of reasons. Sunset Cliffs looks fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  25. San Diego is one of my favorite places and it looks like you had a great trip, despite the weather!
    Julia x
    https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like you made the best of things and still enjoyed your trip. Good thing you packed in so much on the first day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Even with the hurricane it sounds like you had a fun interesting trip. I too haven't been to many zoos, we live very close to St. Louis Missouri so that is our closest zoo, we have been there a couple times, it is an all day thing, but very clean and a good assortment of animals. I have never been to California, my hubby has a few times though. That's all you can do when you plan a vacation is make the best out of whatever situation you have.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great vacation! You write so well, I always smile, multiple times.
    Gorgeous photo of the tiger. He looks like he's a thinking beast.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fun post! We lived in San Diego for many years. This brought back great memories. We had a family pass for the zoo and went there all the time. You made the most of the bad weather. I admire your great attitude and enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like you were able to have fun even though things happened that weren't planned.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Better that the "hurricane" be only a little rain, for sure, Hena! As a west-coaster (of Canada) I'm used to a LOT of rain, and am always amused at how panicky some people get over a few showers. I have been to the San Diego Zoo, but not since 1976, if you can believe it! I still have pictures (I was 8-9 years old) and fond memories. I also remember a lot of animals in close proximity.

    Your trip sounds fun (aside from the "batten down the hatches" day) - I love those cliffs!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Seems like you made the most of your time. The symmetrical cemetery pictured in this post is remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I used to take my kids to the zoo all the time when they were younger. Our local zoo is The Toronto Zoo (actually down the street from our house), but I've been to a few in the States, including The Bronx. I love all the pictures of your travels and all the fun you all had!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I went to college in SD so it will always have a special place in my heart!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love SD and the SD zoo. It's been many years since we were there though. I guess it could have been a lot worse for you guys but it did stink so many things were closed and the weather didn't seem too bad. That ice cream looks so good. How fun that you got to meet up with old friends!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love that you didn't let the rain spoil your day. Isn't that the best zoo? They do a terrific job there.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am glad that you were able to find quite a few things to do even with the hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  38. very beautiful place to visit.....
    nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  39. When I was a kid, my father took me on a special trip to the San Diego Zoo. I loved it! I would love to go back someday.

    ReplyDelete
  40. It sounds like you had a great time despite some of the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looks like a fun time was had! Interesting to learn of the large cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous10/01/2023

    We love the San Diego zoo and it was much different that the St. Louis zoo that we are used to. I think we may have stayed at the Omni hotel too while there, but the one by the bay.

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Looks like so much fun! I visited the zoo as a kid and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. My comment didn't save! I was surprised the city shut down but then I realized the same thing happens in Denver metro area with a forecast of ten inches yields 2! Ha! We just got back from a quick trip to Paso Robles! Loved all the names of the restaurants and coffee shops you visited!
    We head to one more quick trip to New Orleans! Empty Nester life! Enjoy these trips! Oh have you read Remarkably Beautiful Creatures? So good! xo laura

    ReplyDelete
  45. Glad you enjoyed, even if the weather wasn't 100%. It looks like an awesome trip, I love the look of the Sunset Cliffs. One summer it rained the entire week we were on vacation but we made the most of it too. Happy traveling! The Bronx Zoo is a nice one, been there many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for this wonderful post, it's almost like being there too!

    ReplyDelete
  47. It's been a long time since I've been to San Diego and to the zoo. I'm glad you all had a good time there. It's too bad about the bad weather and the hurricane. Thanks for sharing your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography