lately

Summer break has come to an end and we wrapped up our month long whirlwind adventure. I have got so much to share with you all but before we get to that I want to share with you what's going on right now.

Last Sunday we got home, late, jet lagged after a 10 hour flight, kids in a sleepy daze to discover that our refrigerator was broken. Insert horror movie scream here. Thankfully the refrigerator had been mostly empty but the freezer was not and oh the smell. M and I spent an extra hour trying to will the refrigerator back to life, along with Googling and disposing of the food in the freezer. We arrived in the midst of a 3 day weekend so no help was to be found.. and did I mention the smell. 

On Monday we Googled some more and tired some DIY tricks to get the refrigerator back in action. It almost even worked.. it cooled for a couple of hours and then went back to dead. All the while unpacking, laundry and getting the kids ready for their first day of school.

Tuesday everyone went back to real life minus a functioning refrigerator that is. 


This one is off to 7th grade if you can believe it!


This little dude is a 3rd grader and pulled out his own tooth on the second day of school.

Wednesday the refrigerator repairman came.. thank God. And while he did fix it.. he way way over charged us. But we.. I was desperate. And now we are trying to file a complaint with LG (after going back and forth with them they agreed to refund of us some of the bill). I spent the rest of the afternoon deep cleaning the refrigerator. Fun. While the smell has gone way way down there is still a smell.. very light. I have tried baking soda, vinegar, coffee grounds and charcoal yet nothing has eliminated the odor completely. Any tips?

Thursday I finally went grocery shopping.. but first some self care. I got a massage. :) 

Thankfully the rest of the week went by smoothly, more unpacking.. getting used to the new school routine (jet lag has been handy as everyone is up even before the alarm rings)... some time with friends on the weekend. 

My in laws arrive today from my sister in laws house in Houston.. they live with us on and off. I am in charge of their healthcare so lots of doctors visits in the future also meaning lot of waiting room reading (gotta look for the positives in life). Summer is officially over as we get back to the grind, already plotting our next adventure. 


                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           

Comments

  1. Those two sweet faces made me smile. How quickly they are growing up!

    Good luck with the smell from the refrigerator. You have tried everything I would suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that your fridge broke down. That couldn't have been a welcome home! The boys look like they are excited to begin the new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!! Our refrigerator broke right after our kitchen remodel a few years ago, which was so bizarre! We had it fixed and it only broke again. So, then we got a new refrigerator and then IT broke! Thankfully it was just something small that was out of wack from them installing it and it has been working ever since. That was the most stressful month dealing with it all. Not only is a refrigerator expensive, but there is lots of 'waiting' time for repairmen, installation, etc. Sigh. I hope you can get the smell out!

    I hope your boys have a great school year!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nightmare to come home to. The trials of "first world" problems! (I just got my car out of the shop after more than 6 weeks!!) It's sounds like you're getting things under control again, though. I'm looking forward to hearing about all your adventures.

    Those boys sure are growing up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a horrible way to end a holiday - arriving home to a horrific smell! I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of this nightmare! Glad things are getting back to normal, wish the kids a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How terrible to come back to a broken fridge. Glad it is sorted out and wish the kids a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, that is awful! I'm glad you were finally able to get it fixed and hope you can get the smell out. I hope your boys have a great year at school! It is hard to believe summer is over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a horrible thing to come back to! I'm so sorry about your fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that absolutely sucks about the freezer!! I am so sorry!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the first day of school photos! So cute. Looks like you have been super busy and will be for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, happy back to school! Your young guys look ready to go! Flynn is in seventh grade too. How?!? So sorry about the refrigerator. I have been there and know the stress, work, and waiting. Hoping all that is behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, what a nightmare with the fridge. We had a similar thing when we moved here and it went out with temperatures in the hundreds in AZ. But luckily we had a back up fridge in the garage. But it was still a nightmare. We gave up and bought a new one. That's how we handled it, haha.
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9/12/2022

    We have had no luck with LG appliances. The refrigerator worked for a while. When things started going bad, there were no repairmen who would touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a living nightmare. Our basement freezer went and we had no idea until the smell....never will forget that.

    Love the first day of school pictures and a massage sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have two sweet handsome boys! Come home from the holiday and found out the fridge broken must have been a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too bad about the fridge. I'm sorry to hear that. The first day of school pics are lovely. I wish them a wonderful academic year.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry about the fridge incident.

    I wonder if lime + baking soda helps. Sprinkle baking soda on a cut lime and rub it all over the surfaces of the fridge.


    Hugs and blessings, Hena 💛💚💙




    ReplyDelete
  19. Aaaaw....lovely pics of the boys, Hena:) And so sorry to hear about the fridge...ugh....I can totally understand the frustration, and then dealing with being overcharged. I swear....I should just be a repairman/plumber/electrician and make these big bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you got a massage among all the craziness. Hope things calm down for you this fall.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh! We had that happen with a freezer full of beef several years ago. We too were on vacation and the stench was horrible! We ended up throwing the freezer away as we could not totally get the smell out. Hope it goes better for you and you find a colution!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's good you were able to get your refrigerator fixed and just in time for company.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a nightmare to come home to, made even worse by being in the middle of a three-day weekend. I'm glad you managed to get it fixed. Good luck with filing the complaint and getting rid of the smell, which must be awful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh the horror of a broken fridge. I hope you figure out a way to deal with the smell. That's terrible. We've been back in school since August 11th, so enjoy those first few days of school. I hope the boys like their new teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry your refrigerator broke down, and while you were on vacation and coming home to the smell makes it even worse. Not sure what to do about the smell. I was thinking baking soda, but you tried that. Wow, third and seventh grade! I hope they have a fun school year. Such a brave little guy to pull out his own tooth at school.

    I hope you have a less hectic week, and do something just for yourself. I just thought about LEMON for the smell in your fridge. Lemon always has a way of making things cleaner. Keep us updated and what you used.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  26. A broken fridge is the worst! I'm glad you managed to get it fixed and also got yourself a massage! : ) Happy back to school! It's hard to believe summer is over and it's that time already. My son just started 10th grade. How is it possible?! Happy Wednesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well I wrote something to you an hour ago and then my internet went out...

    I cannot believe your kids are 7 and 3 grade!! Gracious, they grow so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The refrigerator issue is the thing of nightmares. We lost power for a week once when a tree pulled the power lines from our house. I thought I took everything out of the refrigerator but missed some garlic that I had in the freezer. It was not good a week later. I did get the smell out but don't remember what worked. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ugh that’s so awful about your fridge. We had a power outage a few weeks ago and I was afraid we’d have to dump it all. I hope you get the smell out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography