Grand Canyon

Over Memorial Day weekend we went on a very short and quick little getaway to the Grand Canyon. M's parents are visiting. And while they come often, well because they come often and stay for extended periods we sort of forget to make a big deal out of it. So this time we thought to take them somewhere.

We left Saturday early morning. Thanks to the time difference it was still morning when we landed in Phoenix and sweltering hot. We rented a car via Turo - its like an AirBnb for cars. Our initial 3.5 hour drive very quickly turned into an almost 5 hour drive to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Thankfully we were prepared with books, music and snacks and managed to check in around 3pm. We stayed at the Red Feather Lodge just outside the Grand Canyon in the Grand Canyon Village. 


After getting a park pass we parked and boarded the Kaibab Rim (Orange) Route shuttle. I was impressed with how well organized the park was. I had researched all the trails to make sure they were fun enough for the kids but doable by M's parents. Our first stop on the shuttle was the South Kaibab Trail. It was a 0.9 mile hike to the Ooh Aah Point. It was steep hike and very windy. While the hike down was a little uneven we were more concerned about his parents ability to make it back to the top. They managed it, huffing and puffing. It took us 50 minutes down and another 50 minutes up.




Afterwards we hopped back on the Orange Shuttle and got off at two more stops. First Yaki Point and second the Pipe Creek Vista before boarding the shuttle and heading back to where our car was parked.


We had dinner at the hotel restaurant, Plaza Bonita which was a bright and colorful Mexican restaurant, look at those chairs.  

The next morning we headed back to Plaza Bonita for breakfast. Choices were very limited in the area. Afterwards we had a big surprise planned for everyone. We drove to the Grand Canyon airport for an airplane tour of the canyons. We flew with Grand Canyon Scenic Airlines. Very smooth process, super nice pilots. 




Look at those smiling faces.. those smiles did not last very long.. but before I get into that a few pictures from above.




We barely got a few pictures when the flight got a bit bumpy. Normal they assured us. But I wasn't feeling too good. I clutched D's hand to steady my nerves. Behind me M was breathing into a bag and that just made my head spin more. Now I am breathing in a bag as well. I am practically squashing D's poor little hand. M throws up in his little vomit bag. Everyone else is doing fine btw. Now here's the worst part.. and this may be TMI but I didn't just have the urge to throw up I felt the very strong urge to go to the bathroom as well. This was a freaking 50 minute flight and I didn't know how I was going to survive. I just prayed and took deep breathes all the time still squeezing D's hand. I turn to make sure I am not hurting him and he is sleeping. He slept through a 50 minute turbulent flight, above the Grand Canyon! We finally landed.. thank heavens. M and I rushed everyone to the car and back to the hotel to relive ourselves. Funnily enough my MIL has vertigo and gets sick in the car, so does H on occasion yet they were all perfectly fine. We later concluded that it may have been part turbulence and part food positioning as M and I had shared our meals and no one else had ordered what we had. 

Once we felt a little better we caught the Purple shuttle across the street from our hotel, it took us into the national park and saved us the trouble of long lines, parking etc. Once inside the park we took the Village (Blue) Route. It took us to the Bright Angel Trail. 


Before heading to the trail there was a nice little lookout and gift shop we stopped at. The pictures really don't to justice to the magnificence of the canyons. So when we spotted this mug we thought it perfectly surmised the sentiment. 


Now to the Bright Angel Trail.. it is a long long trail that goes all the way to the base. It is not advised to attempt to go down and come back up in a day. I am in awe of the people who not only want to do that but are also capable of such a thing, I also think you are a psychopath for wanting to do such a thing. 


The winding serpentine line was the trail and it went further than the eye could see. We saw so so many teeny tiny little dots going down the trail.. We only hiked as far as the first little tunnel. 



Afterwards we boarded the Hermit Road (Red) Route. We got off at various view points. M and I walked between some of the view points while the boys stayed with their grandparents and they took the shuttle, they were still a little tired from the Ooh Aah Point. At the last stop Hermit's Rest we got some ice cream and hung out for a bit. 




We took the red shuttle back to the blue shuttle and from the blue shuttle took the purple back into town. After not eating much all day M and I thought pizza seemed like a safe bet plus we were starving now. 

The next day we had breakfast at the Food Club and headed back to the airport and back home.

a side note - I am not into sports. We go to sporting events and the atmosphere gets me interested.. but afterwards I don't care too much. I never wear team jerseys etc. But recently M convinced me to get this tie dye Rangers hoodie. It is cute and comfy so I got it. We do attend multiple Rangers games through out the year so why not. Well for those of you who don't follow ice hockey they are doing really well right now.. in the semi finals so I decided to wear the hoodie one day. I have never been stopped to have so many random conversations. I had to nod along and pretend I knew what they were talking about most of the time but it was weird and cool how sports brings people together. 

                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Bloglovin  

Comments

  1. What a fabulous getaway and treat for the inlaws! The plane ride sounded tough but besides that, fantastic. I like your hoodie! I bet you did get a lot of conversations from wearing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun trip! I'd love to visit

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only flown over the Grand Canyon on the way from Michigan to Phoenix when I was 15. What an amazing place. I am glad you all had a wonderful time (except the plane ride!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did the Grand Canyon flight and loved it. The time down in the Canyon itself was fascinating. It flight must have been a terrible experience for you but it sounds better as the day progressed. Love the family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds great -- and a wonderful idea (well, until the plane ride, which does sound a little grim!) It's a glorious place and it looks like there were a lot of smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apart from the plane ride, sounds like a wonderful time in the Grand Canyon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Grand Canyon is a wonderful experience. I've been to both the North and South Rims, and up as far as Navaho Bridge. But from the air, I've only seen it on cross-country flights from tens of thousands of feet altitude. You make me glad of that!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Grand Canyon is such an amazing place. I would have planned the plane ride too and hate to think of being sick in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic vacation and you've posted some great photos! (love the sentiment on the mug since I know it's true about many things)

    Sorry you had to deal with turbulence (and maybe food poisoning!). I use to have a single engine pilot's license and the thought of flying (even as a passenger) over the Grand Canyon makes me nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful vacation! Helicopter rides make me nauseus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Grand Canyon is definitely on my bucket list, and I'm sure it was the most wonderful treat for M's parents! Your photos are stunning, and that first one definitely put a smile on my face! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to plan a trip to the Grand Canyon. Your photos are beautiful!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to go to the Grand Canyon, sounds like an excellent trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful getaway. Your photos are excellent, particularly the ones from the air. I am so sorry to read about your sickness - and hope it didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like such a fun trip! I'm so sorry about your flight experience!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic trip! It looks like you did just the right amount of hiking for your group. Thanks for sharing your experience on the plane. Even though you think it was just a reaction to some bad food, I think, with my queasiness riding in cars and boats, that I will avoid this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We loved the Grand Canyon! So sorry that the flight was tough for you. These pics are wonderful!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, what a bummer you didn't feel well on that plane ride. But I bet you're right...it could definitely have been food poisoning.
    We just toured around there last summer, but didn't go above it like that. I bet that was magnificent.
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the name The Ooh Aah Point. Too funny. Sorry that the plane ride was so uncomfortable. I had no idea they offered that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Visiting the Grand Canyon is on my bucket list! Fingers crossed:) Thanks for sharing these pics, Hena! And sorry to hear about you getting sick during the plane ride...I totally can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to visit the Grand Canyon someday but would definitely give the plane ride a miss.

    Happy Tuesday, Hena.



    ReplyDelete
  22. What an amazing plan! I'm also sharing my visit to Grand Canyon on my latest post, we had an amzing time, but we did not experience the airplane tour... looks incredible!
    have a great week,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those views! The Grand Canyon really is a natural wonder of the world- we went a few years ago and it was just gorgeous.

    I'm so sorry you guys got sick during the flight! Ugh, I'm sure that made it really hard to enjoy the sights. At least you got those pictures before things went south!

    I'm wearing a peachy prairie dress in my new post and I hope you'll stop by!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  24. An aerial tour is such a great way to see Grand Canyon. Bummer about getting sick from the turbulence but it's good you managed to get through it and still enjoyed the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry to hear about the midflight sickness. Aside from that, it sounds like a pretty great trip. I've always wanted to see the Grand Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aside from the plane ride, it sounds like a great little excursion. And, I really like the story about the jersey, and how sports bring people together.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. so nice to see you with your growing boys and your extended family making beautiful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your boys are so handsome. Y'all went hardcore this trip. And you were so brave in get in that airplane. I'm sorry many of you were nauseous and got sick, but what a story to tell the extended family!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow...stunning views...thanks for sharing dear :-)
    Beauty and Fashion/Rampdiary/Glamansion

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds like a fun trip except for the plane ride. Loved seeing these pics from your getaway.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Seems like a perfect trip. Thanks for sharing.

    Love: Mariann Yip
    https://www.mariannyc.com/exploring-cinque-terre/

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Grand Canyon is, indeed, GRAND. Both my daughters have taken a trip there, and it's really incredible to see. What a wonderful family photo this is, and I love the cup! Your boys are going to have so many fun memories to look back on with all their travel adventures. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography