Reunion and a Wedding
I was born and lived in Chicago up till the age of ten. We were surrounded by family. Uncles and cousins. The grown ups were all immigrants.. living hard lives and trying to create a better future for the next generation. My generation. I can't put into words why that is relevant, only kids of immigrants know.. you live smaller lives, busy lives, you rely on the family around you. Even those who are not your family become your family. It takes a village.. and we had a tight village. We were lucky to grow up with multiple fathers and mothers.. so much love. We never did anything just the four of us.. everywhere we went we went as a whole.. loaded up in a van. In retrospect it sounds insane, we joke about it; but when you are little it's perfect.
The boys wore their Eid clothes. I pulled out a sari I last wore at my brothers wedding.. before H was even born.
But my immediate family, the four of us left Chicago when I was ten. Back in the day when there was no internet and hence no way to keep in touch. We grew up, drifted apart.. even when we did get internet, emails, texting.. the conversation was never fluid. There was a gap.
So when my cousin (technically 2nd cousin but her dad is older than my mom and like a father to me, so we pretend we are first cousins) met a Jersey boy and part of the wedding was being held here I was excited, nervous.. I don't know. Not everyone was able to make the trip of course.. but most of those who came stayed at in my home. Five adults and a toddler. They trickled in throughout Friday morning. Lots of hugs. I made lunch. The boys met most of these family members for the first time, just trying to take it all in.
We had an event early that evening.. I haven't asked for permission to post pictures of the wedding and family.. so I will try to share just ours.
I am wearing a three piece outfit. The function was held inside a mosque so more modesty was expected. I am wearing a blouse, beneath the skirt is called a lengha and on my head I am wearing a dupatta.
Saturday was our reunion day. We all had a lazy breakfast.. many many cups of chai and coffee and lots of chit chatting. The visiting toddler, the daughter of a cousin was extremely infatuated with her new 'brothers' When she was bored of one she would request the attention of 'the other brother' And I must say they behaved like very good, patient big brothers.
The boys family invited us all over for an impromptu lunch. Afterwards everyone along with the soon to be couple came back to our house for dinner. By the end of the day we had all found ourselves on memory lane, reminiscing. There were tears for the uncle we lost to cancer some years ago. There were more hugs and silly stories told. So many laughs. So many 'I can't believe we did that' and of course more chai.. and some ice cream.
Sunday was a late morning event. So we pretty much woke up and started getting ready. Of course the toddler refused to wear the outfit her mother had brought.. she decided she hated pink. M and I bribed her with sprinkles and after that M became her most beautiful uncle. Lol. We also had a wardrobe malfunction.. my cousins zipper would not cooperate so we stitched her into her outfit. To top it all of it was a scorcher, 97 degrees.
The bride and groom danced.
We danced.
And then the event ended. Everyone had flights for later that night. So there were more hugs, promises that we wouldn't let so much time pass before we met again. And just like that the weekend came to an end.
On a side note - If you are as enraged about the shooting in Uvalde then you must do something about it. Your rage is not enough. Contact your congress men and senators. Get out there and vote. And you can also donate to Moms Demand Action and Everytown.


Comments
Jennifer
Curated by Jennifer
Have a great week!
S
I hope you record them somehow, so that the generations to come will know the stories and how hard it was for your family then. I will never know why my Irish grandfather or any of my other ancestors moved when and where they did. I know I feel a strong link to them, they are an important part of my family culture.
I am happy for you and the wonderful weekend you had with your family, celebrating the family culture, now steeped in America too. It doesn’t get more perfect than that.
I'm happy for you that you were able to have a reunion and it sounds like you had the most wonderful weekend. You're looking stunning in both your outfits, Hena! xxx
Jill - Doused in Pink
Carrie
curlycraftymom.com
Your sari is absolutely incredible. Did they do the henna tattoos on the bride?? I always think that is so amazing!! My friend had that done when she got married (and her name is Hina).
OXOX
Jodie
www.jtouchofstyle.com
P.S. 97 degrees?!?!? Eeek!
P.P.S. The more I find out about Uvalde, the angrier I get:( RIP to all those children and two teachers.
Oh... it is snowing in the mountains here in Colorado!
I had the heat on today! xo laura in Colorado
~Sheri
I agree with you about Uvalde and have tried to change minds. I truly hope it won't take more tragedies like this one.
https://marshainthemiddle.com/
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com
I immediately imagined how I would decorate the edges of a dupatta if I made one. I was a seamstress one upon a time; even made a wedding dress, veil for and ring bearer's pillow for co-worker.
Is that an actual wall of roses??? Please say it isn't a mere photo. :) It matches your sari. Your husband's tie too.
The bride's gown is precious.
What? No food photos? :(
Thanks again for inviting us to the wedding.
https://www.kathrineeldridge.com
Hope you had a good weekend. We had a fun but busy one!
Away From The Blue