Reunion and a Wedding

I was born and lived in Chicago up till the age of ten. We were surrounded by family. Uncles and cousins. The grown ups were all immigrants.. living hard lives and trying to create a better future for the next generation. My generation. I can't put into words why that is relevant, only kids of immigrants know.. you live smaller lives, busy lives, you rely on the family around you. Even those who are not your family become your family. It takes a village.. and we had a tight village. We were lucky to grow up with multiple fathers and mothers.. so much love. We never did anything just the four of us.. everywhere we went we went as a whole.. loaded up in a van. In retrospect it sounds insane, we joke about it; but when you are little it's perfect. 

But my immediate family, the four of us left Chicago when I was ten. Back in the day when there was no internet and hence no way to keep in touch. We grew up, drifted apart.. even when we did get internet, emails, texting.. the conversation was never fluid. There was a gap.

So when my cousin (technically 2nd cousin but her dad is older than my mom and like a father to me, so we pretend we are first cousins) met a Jersey boy and part of the wedding was being held here I was excited, nervous.. I don't know. Not everyone was able to make the trip of course.. but most of those who came stayed at in my home. Five adults and a toddler. They trickled in throughout Friday morning. Lots of hugs. I made lunch. The boys met most of these family members for the first time, just trying to take it all in. 

We had an event early that evening.. I haven't asked for permission to post pictures of the wedding and family.. so I will try to share just ours.


I am wearing a three piece outfit. The function was held inside a mosque so more modesty was expected. I am wearing a blouse, beneath the skirt is called a lengha and on my head I am wearing a dupatta. 

Saturday was our reunion day. We all had a lazy breakfast.. many many cups of chai and coffee and lots of chit chatting. The visiting toddler, the daughter of a cousin was extremely infatuated with her new 'brothers' When she was bored of one she would request the attention of 'the other brother' And I must say they behaved like very good, patient big brothers. 

The boys family invited us all over for an impromptu lunch. Afterwards everyone along with the soon to be couple came back to our house for dinner. By the end of the day we had all found ourselves on memory lane, reminiscing. There were tears for the uncle we lost to cancer some years ago. There were more hugs and silly stories told. So many laughs. So many 'I can't believe we did that' and of course more chai.. and some ice cream. 

Sunday was a late morning event. So we pretty much woke up and started getting ready. Of course the toddler refused to wear the outfit her mother had brought.. she decided she hated pink. M and I bribed her with sprinkles and after that M became her most beautiful uncle. Lol. We also had a wardrobe malfunction.. my cousins zipper would not cooperate so we stitched her into her outfit. To top it all of it was a scorcher, 97 degrees.


The boys wore their Eid clothes. I pulled out a sari I last wore at my brothers wedding.. before H was even born. 


The bride and groom danced.


We danced.

And then the event ended. Everyone had flights for later that night. So there were more hugs, promises that we wouldn't let so much time pass before we met again. And just like that the weekend came to an end. 

On a side note - If you are as enraged about the shooting in Uvalde then you must do something about it. Your rage is not enough. Contact your congress men and senators. Get out there and vote. And you can also donate to Moms Demand Action and Everytown

     
                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Bloglovin  

Comments

  1. Sounds like a fun time! Your photos are beautiful -- the family photo in front of the wall of roses is especially nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were able to have a reunion!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family time is so great, and reuniting for a wedding is amazing!
    Have a great week!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful. A reunion and a wedding! You and your family look wonderful (and a great backdrop!) and I love both the sari and the beautiful three-pieces you wore in the first photo. To connect after many years is such a gift and I'm so glad you had that and were able to share that with your husband and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy you. As the child of an immigrant, you have the opportunity to know your parents’ stories first hand, why they left, why they picked where they did to settle. These stories are so important and you can pass them on to your children.

    I hope you record them somehow, so that the generations to come will know the stories and how hard it was for your family then. I will never know why my Irish grandfather or any of my other ancestors moved when and where they did. I know I feel a strong link to them, they are an important part of my family culture.

    I am happy for you and the wonderful weekend you had with your family, celebrating the family culture, now steeped in America too. It doesn’t get more perfect than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's easy to lose touch if you move away, even in this day and age.
    I'm happy for you that you were able to have a reunion and it sounds like you had the most wonderful weekend. You're looking stunning in both your outfits, Hena! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a heartwarming post. You look beautiful, Hena! For some reason I had it in my head that you were NJ born and raised.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it was great to see everyone. It's easy to drift apart when you move away, but when you get back together, it's like no time has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you had a wonderful time with your family! Love seeing your photos!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look beautiful! I am sure this was so nice to see most of them again. Hopefully you will meet sooner the next time!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a wonderful story Hena. I love the thought of being part of that kind of village. I missed that growing up as an only child with very few relatives. One of my friends had 6 brothers and sisters and I loved hanging out with them.
    Your sari is absolutely incredible. Did they do the henna tattoos on the bride?? I always think that is so amazing!! My friend had that done when she got married (and her name is Hina).
    OXOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. How great that you were able to have that reunion. Your clothing and the brides dress were so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing these photos, Hena:) You looked so beautiful.
    P.S. 97 degrees?!?!? Eeek!
    P.P.S. The more I find out about Uvalde, the angrier I get:( RIP to all those children and two teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful weekend! What a beautiful family you have!
    Oh... it is snowing in the mountains here in Colorado!
    I had the heat on today! xo laura in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely you look at your cousin's wedding. The pink gown you're wearing is a stunning color. Such a nice family photo also. It's wonderful that you got to be together with all your family again. You look happy on the dance floor. You must be a bit tired with all the family staying at your house. Get some rest now. It seems that the beautiful moments spent with family go by so quickly, don't they? But you have these wonderful photos to remember the day. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sharing time with family is really one of the basic components of life. I'm so happy you had a reunion at the wedding event.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my first visit to your blog (after you commented on mine)! What a lovely story! My great-great grandparents emigrated here (on both sides of my mom's family) from Germany. I have no idea why they left or why they settled where they did. And, everyone who would know is now gone. It's wonderful you can gather and pick up where you left off as well as knowing everyone's childhood stories.

    I agree with you about Uvalde and have tried to change minds. I truly hope it won't take more tragedies like this one.

    https://marshainthemiddle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was heart-warming to read about your family and the reunion. You look gorgeous in the pink sari.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. A reunion and a wedding in one sounds lovely. Congratulations to the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m glad you and your family had such a wonderful time at your reunion and family wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous6/01/2022

    Sharing in posts shows us just how alike we are. Thank you.

    I immediately imagined how I would decorate the edges of a dupatta if I made one. I was a seamstress one upon a time; even made a wedding dress, veil for and ring bearer's pillow for co-worker.

    Is that an actual wall of roses??? Please say it isn't a mere photo. :) It matches your sari. Your husband's tie too.

    The bride's gown is precious.

    What? No food photos? :(

    Thanks again for inviting us to the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had no idea that you were from my hometown! These photos are lovely. Your family is so beautiful!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't realize you are from Chicago! How neat! You and your family look beautiful! The pink sari is stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful weekend! You and your family looked beautiful! So happy you enjoyed it all!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a wonderful whirlwind of a weekend. I loved your description of growing up in a "village" of other immigrant families. You looked stunning in your sari and the family looks quite handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How wonderful to get together at such a lovely event! I love that pink sari.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful event. Love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a beautiful story, I can hear how happy you were in your post and see your happiness in the photos. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is wonderful that you were able to reconnect with family during the wedding festivities. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely reunion and wedding! You look gorgeous in both your outfits and that's such a cute family photo! :)

    Hope you had a good weekend. We had a fun but busy one!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  31. YOU ARE GORGEOUS! I love your sari :) My MIL gave my daughter a sari that was hers when she would visit family in Pakistan with my FIL, way back when. My daughter treasures it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an event! You and your family looked so sharp.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography