A Trip to Philly

After our little trip to the zoo we felt the need to hit the road again.. we haven't traveled anywhere in sooo long, I can't believe I am actually counting our trip to the zoo as 'travel'. Around this same time last year we had just returned from our trip to Turkey!

So with two kids and in laws in tow we packed up the mini van and head down to Philly. Our first stop was the historic center.. we stopped by the Liberty Bell and passed by the memorials


here's a little throwback for you.. M and I in Philadelphia.. married six months back in 2008 

but we could see our travel companions losing interest and the heat was beating down on us so we jumped on ahead to stop number two.. The Readington Terminal.


We all appreciated the cool air and shade and who could resist being surrounded by all that delish food! For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Reading Terminal... some back story.. The Reading Terminal Market occupies the ground floor and basement levels of the Reading Terminal's former train shed, now part of the Philadelphia Convention Center. It is an indoor public market of over a hundred merchants offering fresh produce, meats, fish, groceries, ice cream, flowers, baked goods, crafts, books, clothing, and specialty and ethnic foods. We spent a hour or two there but it was hardly enough, the Market deserves much more time to slowly peruse and consume the numerous mouth watering options it has to offer. We will be back some day when H and D are old enough to appreciate all that the market has to offer. When in Philly this is the place to have your breakfast, lunch and dinner!


M and I split up and decided to each purchase two things.. I stopped at Kamal's for a chicken shawarma and a strawberry, pineapple, coconut juice.. the juice was great the shawarma was pretty much like any other shawarma I have had.. which is nice. 


M had better luck at Profi's Creperie. We are not big crepe lovers but this crepe was divine. M choose a savory beef crepe with cheese, mushrooms and onions.. and we wish we had more, even picky eater D was gobbling it all up.


My next stop the 12th Street Cantina where I got a nice big burrito bowl. The guacamole and salsa were excellent. 


M's last stop was the Flying Monkey Bakery for some whoopie pies.. original and peanut putter :) and then of course we ended the meal with Bassett Ice Cream 

source "Credit Jared Kofsky"

Unfortunately they were out of all of our first choices and we had to settle for seconds.. M had to settle for his third choice.. and while everyone raves about Bassett's ice cream.. to me I could have been sitting at home with a pint of Eddy's or Ben and Jerry's and it still would kinda tasted the same.. plus we would have gotten the flavors we liked. 

And when all the eating was done, we headed to the Smith Memorial Playground. It is just a few miles away from the Please Touch Museum which we are all a big fan of.. yet we had never heard of this park before.. it is a hidden gem you must check out if ever in the area, free and dedicated to children under the age of ten. 


The century old 39 foot long 13' wide Ann Newman Giant Wooden Slide.




there is an indoor park too, the mansion is pretty much a giant play house; unfortunately it was closed by the time we got there..


And my favorite photograph.. : )


and even though we ended the day with a flat tire on the highway in the unexpected rain storm.. it was still a pretty good day.

Get my post directly in you inbox with Bloglovin I am now also offering ad space.
See Sponsors for more information


Comments

  1. These photos look so cute! I love the playground photos! You can see the fun you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. we did! it definitely calls for a second trip

      Delete
  2. What a super trip, I'd love all those food stalls, I'm very partial to a crepe. And the last photo of you three is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you..
      then this is the place for you

      Delete
  3. I know this is kind of 'million times heard' comment but u really look great after giving a birth. Enjoy the adventure of two! It looks like a real fun (-: xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Running around after the munchkins is quiet a workout

      Delete
  4. How fun! I remember going to Reading Terminal as a child and loving it! And that slide looks totally amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was huge and absolutely amazing!

      Delete
  5. I've driven through PA a few times on road trips but have never stopped and explored. There's so much history in Philadelphia and it looks like there's good eating too! My kind of place.
    The photos of you and the kids are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know where to go for a bite :)

      Delete
  6. What a fun trip! I'd love to visit Philly someday! That park sounds like a blast for the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The park was great. we have to go again to see the inside!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely trip. Love how you spend ohana time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Smith Memorial Playground looks so fun! And that market is enticing. Such a fun trip and memories to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how fun!!! Those crepes sound so DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of a park just for kids! That slide looks so fun! We're visiting Philly this fall, so we'll have to check out Reading Terminal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like such a fun trip, Hena. I love Philadelphia. I've only been there a couple of times, and it was before kids, but it was a nice place to visit. The Franklin Institute was particularly interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun trip! Eight years ago...looks like today on your faces. The food sounds wonderful. Sorry to read about the flat tire. Your perspective is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. aww that is the cutest pic of you and your kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy for your good time with family and little problem on the way should not overshadow the joy of having fun together! Happy Summer dear Hena!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like it was a very nice outing for sure. The Reading terminal seems like a place I would be very happy visiting, and I'd also love to try that wooden slide. How neat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like an amazing trip. The wooden slide looks fun, and the last photo is my favorite too. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to love those slides where you have to go down in a sack or on a mat! So much fun, I've not seen one in so long though!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. aww you two crazy kids, love the throwback picture! and ugh all that food, my mouth is watering! What an awesome park, love the old slide. Sorry about the flat though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a fun trip. Great photos as always, Hena.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like fun! Profi's Creperie sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love the look of that slide - it's huge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a fun day - the wooden slide is awesome! And so much food!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really want to visit Philly. I have a good friend that recently moved there. Maybe I will get to visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This post brought back memories. My husband and I went to Philly for a weekend trip just after we got married too. We also went to the Reading Terminal Market. We got pretzels :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography