Recent Reads

Happy New Year everyone. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday break. We sure did.. and I can't wait to share the adventure with you. But first books!


One for the Money by Stephanie Plus

Synopsis - Meet Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter with attitude. In Stephanie’s opinion, toxic waste, rabid drivers, armed schizophrenics, and August heat, humidity, and hydrocarbons are all part of the great adventure of living in Jersey.
She’s a product of the “burg,” a blue-collar pocket of Trenton where houses are attached and narrow, cars are American, windows are clean, and (God forbid you should be late) dinner is served at six.
Out of work and out of money, Stephanie blackmails her bail-bondsman cousin Vinnie into giving her a try as an apprehension agent. Stephanie knows zilch about the job requirements, but she figures her new pal, el-primo bounty hunter Ranger, can teach her what it takes to catch a crook. Her first nail Joe Morelli, a former vice cop on the run from a charge of murder one. Morelli’s the inamorato who charmed Stephanie out of her virginity at age sixteen. There’s still powerful chemistry between them, so the chase should be interesting…and could also be extremely dangerous.

Thoughts - This was such a fun read. The chemistry between Stephanie and Joe was off the charts and I smiled my way through the whole book. 


Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

Synopsis - When young, pretty Catherine Bailey meets Lee Brightman, she can't believe her luck. Gorgeous, charismatic, and a bit mysterious, Lee seems almost too perfect to be true.
But what begins as flattering attention and spontaneous, passionate sex transforms into raging jealousy, and Catherine soon discovers that Lee's dazzling blue eyes and blond good looks hide a dark, violent nature. Disturbed by his increasingly erratic, controlling behavior, she tries to break it off; turning to her friends for support, she's stunned to find they don't believe her. Increasingly isolated and driven into the darkest corner of her world, a desperate Catherine plans a meticulous escape.
Four years later, Lee is behind bars and Catherine—now Cathy—is trying to build a new life in a new city. Though her body has healed, the trauma of the past still haunts her. Then Stuart Richardson, her attractive new neighbor, moves in. Encouraging her to confront her fears, he sparks unexpected hope and the possibility of love and a normal life.

Until the day the phone rings . . .

Thoughts - This was a scary read about domestic violence. Especially about how isolating it can be when no one believes you and when you have always thought 'when he hits you you leave' but you realize it is much harder to do. The author also shows us the aftereffects of leaving an abusive relationship. The PTSD that may follow a survivor. The book had very short chapters jumping between the before and the current and was actually a pretty quick read.  


The Wrath and The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

Synopsis - One Life to One Dawn.
In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.
Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?

Thoughts - This story is a reimagining of Arabian Nights. When I am reading a fantasy romance I want the book to be all consuming. This one was good enough but lacked passion and chemistry between the two main characters. There was no falling in love, it was just I hate you and now after some under eyelash glances we are all of a sudden passionately in love with each other? There is a part 2 and I have ordered it from the library to see how it all turns out but overall, for now, it was all just meh. 


Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier

Synopsis - This is the story of three best friends: one who was murdered, one who went to prison, and one who's been searching for the truth all these years . . .
When she was sixteen years old, Angela Wong—one of the most popular girls in school—disappeared without a trace. Nobody ever suspected that her best friend, Georgina Shaw, now an executive and rising star at her Seattle pharmaceutical company, was involved in any way. Certainly not Kaiser Brody, who was close with both girls back in high school.
But fourteen years later, Angela Wong's remains are discovered in the woods near Geo's childhood home. And Kaiser—now a detective with Seattle PD—finally learns the truth: Angela was a victim of Calvin James. The same Calvin James who murdered at least three other women.
To the authorities, Calvin is a serial killer. But to Geo, he's something else entirely. Back in high school, Calvin was Geo's first love. Turbulent and often volatile, their relationship bordered on obsession from the moment they met right up until the night Angela was killed.
For fourteen years, Geo knew what happened to Angela and told no one. For fourteen years, she carried the secret of Angela's death until Geo was arrested and sent to prison.
While everyone thinks they finally know the truth, there are dark secrets buried deep. And what happened that fateful night is more complex and more chilling than anyone really knows. Now the obsessive past catches up with the deadly present when new bodies begin to turn up, killed in the exact same manner as Angela Wong.

Thoughts - This was my second book by Jennifer Hillier and it was a doozy. So messed up. OMG. Makes you think if you really ever know anyone.. creepy for sure. 


Beautiful Strangers by Camille Di Maio

Synopsis - 1958. Kate Morgan, tethered to her family’s failing San Francisco restaurant, is looking for an escape. She gets her chance by honoring a cryptic plea from her grandfather: find the beautiful stranger. The search takes her to Hotel del Coronado, the beachfront landmark on the Southern California coast where filming is underway on the movie Some Like It Hot.
For a movie lover like Kate, it’s a fantasy come true. So is the offer of a position at the glamorous hotel. And a new romance is making her heart beat just as fast. But as sure as she is that the Coronado is her future, Kate discovers it’s also where the ghosts of the past have come to stay. Sixty years ago a guest died tragically, and she still haunts the hotel’s halls.
As the lives of two women—generations apart—intertwine, Kate’s courageous journey could change more than she ever imagined. And with the Coronado wending its way through her soul, she must follow her dreams…wherever they may lead.

Thoughts - This was a sweet read. It had a cute love story, heartwarming family moments and a splash of Hollywood history with the filming of Some Like It Hot, meaning cameo's by Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. I enjoyed it. It was a nice break from all the gruesome thriller books. 



The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams

Synopsis - Esme is born into a world of words. Motherless and irrepressibly curious, she spends her childhood in the Scriptorium, an Oxford garden shed in which her father and a team of dedicated lexicographers are collecting words for the very first Oxford English Dictionary. Young Esme’s place is beneath the sorting table, unseen and unheard. One day a slip of paper containing the word bondmaid flutters beneath the table. She rescues the slip and, learning that the word means “slave girl,” begins to collect other words that have been discarded or neglected by the dictionary men.
As she grows up, Esme realizes that words and meanings relating to women’s and common folks’ experiences often go unrecorded. And so she begins in earnest to search out words for her own dictionary: the Dictionary of Lost Words. To do so she must leave the sheltered world of the university and venture out to meet the people whose words will fill those pages.
Set during the height of the women’s suffrage movement and with the Great War looming, The Dictionary of Lost Words reveals a lost narrative, hidden between the lines of a history written by men.

Thoughts - I listened to this one. Which I am glad I did because this was a wordy book, as expected I suppose. It was very fascinating to learn how the first ever dictionary was created. I had actually never really thought about it. And it was a long arduous job..in fact it took 50 years to complete! It was a fascinating tale with a lot of focus on women's issues as well. I'd give it a read or better yet, a listen. 
 
This brought my total to 40 books read! Wohoo. 
My favorites were, in no particular order
Beach Read by Emily Henry, 
Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley, 
The Exiles by Christina Baker Kline
The Winners Fredrik Backman
Where the Forest Meets the Stars by Glendy Vanderah
Twenty Years Later by Charlie Donlea


            Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6

Comments

  1. I read Into the Darkest Corner and A Jar of Hearts and enjoyed both. They were intense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done well reading 40 books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Stephanie Plum series is a heap of fun.
    I really, really like Fredrik Backman's books too. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great collections of books! I wish I had time to read, but too many other hobbies!

    Corinne x
    https://skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an eclectic selection of books and your synopses are very clear and enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of these books sound so good!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made time to read a lot of books! That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! 99 books for me, I don't know how I managed that!
    LOst Words sounds like something I might enjoy, I shall hunt for a second hand copy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you and your family, Hena! 40 books is quite a feat. I didn't record mine, but I'd be surprised if read 20.
    I'm loving the sound of The Dictionary of Lost Words! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always an occasion to applaud people who read diverse and interesting books. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just tagged that last one at my library. It sounds wonderful! I use to read the Stephanie Plum books as soon as they were released, but I think I'm several behind now. I need to remedy that because they're always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beautiful strangers sounds like such a fun read. I love when fiction books add some fun movie history!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reading is such a wonderful hobby and there are so many damn books worth reading

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven´t read any of these books but several of them sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1/02/2024

    Thanks for sharing these! I want to make a list of some books I'd like to read in 2024 and this is helpful.

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1/02/2024

    I do not/can not do creepy books anymore! Looks like a nice mix of books. Cindy https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love to read and you provide some intriguing suggestions ~ Brave to you for all your reading and variety too ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I just love the Stephanie Plum series... they get a bit crazy at times but they always make me smile (and sometimes even laugh!). The Beautiful Strangers sound like one I'd enjoy too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You sure have a wide range of reading material!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 40?! Wow! I love reading and wish I could read as many!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've read a bunch of Stephanie Plum books in the past, but it's been ages.
    XOXO
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on completing 40 books!
    Happy 2024, Hena!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing these reads!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. congrats on a great reading year!! Happy New Year to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i am finally reading but i really want to read books i love. i did not finish 2 books because they were just not my thing. "This was such a fun read. The chemistry between Stephanie and Joe was off the charts and I smiled my way through the whole book." this is my kinda' read...thanks for the awesome reviews on all of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look like fun reads. I read quite a bit but am very slow and I ended up with only 19 books in 2023. Buy hey, that is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hena, happy new year to you and your family. Wow, that's awesome, that you read a lot of books for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've always enjoyed the Stephanie Plum series, though I'm generally not a mystery or a romance reader. And The Dictionary of Lost Words sounds good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Darkest Corner is my favorite Elizabeth Haynes book. It really was scary and had me wanting to triple check my locks long after reading it. I'm so glad you liked One for the Money. I really enjoyed that one when I read it too.

    It sounds like you had a great reading year! I haven't read any of your favorites of the year yet, but three of them are on my TBR (Beach Read, Firekeeper's Daughter and The Exiles). I hope you have a very Happy New Year and enjoy your reading this year!

    ReplyDelete
  30. 40 books is quite impressive. The premise of The Dictionary of Lost Words sounds so interesting. I'll have to see if I can get the audiobook from my library.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A Jar of Hearts sounds very intriguing! I'll be checking my library for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I appreciate this list. :D Best wishes for your family enjoying a wonderful 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've been curious about Dictionary of Lost Words -- it's good to get your review! Happy, Happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous1/03/2024

    My holiday could have been better oh well. Thanks for sharing these excellent books they all sound super interesting!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Beautiful Strangers sounds like one that I would like to read! Happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Interesting books, thanks for sharing.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous1/04/2024

    Well done.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous1/06/2024

    Well done on your reading.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. These books all look really interesting - right up my alley, taste-wise, so thank you for the recommendations. I passed 40 books this year - I think for the first time ever! - so well done on your list, Hema! A very Happy New Year to you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I don't know a lot of these books. I'll have to check them out! I have read quite a few of the Stephanie Plum series but it's been awhile. They always make me smile. She's a character!

    ReplyDelete
  41. That Stephanie Plum series is such a good time. I really want to read A Jar of Hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I read One for the Money some years ago and loved it. Isn't that where at some point Stephanie gets turned blue? I laughed and laughed. I love the way she describes Ranger. You would enjoy the Archie McNally books by Lawrence Sanders! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography