Universal Studio Hollywood

We took a two day break before emerging ourselves in yet another theme park. Disney had been a good enough experience so we were hoping Universal Studio but be similar. Thankfully we were correct. The last time we had been to a Universal park was in Florida and once again it had been a nightmare.. it is once again much larger than the California version and the lines.. oh the lines!

Universal Studio Hollywood 415 acres large while the one is Florida spans 735 acres. 


We didn't have to rush to much in the morning as the park opened at 9am.. but we still decided to have a grab and go breakfast. We grabbed bagels at Bagel Nosh Deli and ate on our way to the park. We had bought the Universal Express Pass and hoped for a smooth experience. They had a massive parking lot and then you walked through their Universal City Walk in order to get to the main entrance.

The park is built on two floors. We started with the upper lot. 

Our first stop was Hogwarts. 

FIRST RIDE - FLIGHT OF THE HIPPOGRIFF..We walked right on to it. No line at all. This ride is super lame.. no thrills, nothing.. it is only worth it if there is no line. The other Harry Potter ride was temporarily closed so we moved on.



SECOND RIDE - THE SIMPSONS - This was a great ride. It was fully virtual and hella fun. The wait time was about 35 minutes but the whole time videos were playing and there were interactive displays. This particular video stayed with them and we find ourselves playing out the scenario every few days. 



THIRD RIDE - STUDIO TOUR - The escalator to go to the lower lot was near the Simpson's ride and with the wait so short we decided to do the Studio Tour. It was a 45 min tour which gave us a chance to sit and relax. We drove through various sets and encounters some explosions and of course the famous Jaws jumping  out of the water moment I remember my late grandma describing many many years ago when she had first visited the park. 



FOURTH RIDE - SECRET LIFE OF PETS After the studio tour we came back upstairs and rode the super cute Secret Life of Pets ride.

FIFTH RIDE - DESPICABLE ME MINION MAYHEM - Again super cute ride.. it was a virtual stimulator with some 4D aspects. 


So far I would say Universal was more cute and less thrilling, very heavy on the virtual affects. Lines were none existent thanks to our express pass.. so we breezed through most of the park.But on the plus, it is so small in size it is easy to hop over from area to area. 

Now time for some sustenance. 



We got a Classic Pink Lard Donut from Lard Lad in the Simpsons area. The donut was freaking enormous! Bubbleman's Taco Truck Nacho's were good but Disney had better food options. And Butter Beer from Hogwarts which is disgustingly sweet. I would have killed for a glass of dole whip instead. 

SIXTH RIDE - KUNG FU PANDA THEATRE - This was kind of average. 


SEVENTH RIDE - WATERWORLD - So this was not a ride but a show. They had shows are particular times during the day and the wait was really long. No express pass. It was less a line and more a bunch of people squashed together in an outdoor space in the blistering heat.. not fun. 

The first several row of seats were a wet zone.. H chose to sit in the wet zone, the rest of us sat just outside the wet zone. We had to be close enough to keep an eye on him but had no desire to get wet. And they made sure people in the wet zone got drenched.



This was a fantastic show.. water, explosions, acrobatic performances and oh yea water and guess who was nicely sitting in the not wet zone and still got soaked.. ME! 


EIGHTH RIDE - HARRY POTTER'S FORBIDDEN JOURNEY - The ride was finally working again so we headed over before something happened to it again. The wait was slightly long even with the express pass but it was expected. The line was through the whole Hogwarts Castle so very interactive. But dark to not good for pictures. We had done this ride before in Florida but H had not been tall enough to ride back then. He was tall enough now. It's a fantastic ride, thrilling, virtual effects, the whole shebang. 

We headed back to the Lower Lot now. 

NINTH RIDE - TRANSFORMERS - Cool fun ride. Actually now that I am sitting here writing this I am sort of struggling to remember what even happened in the ride. 

We took another food break at the Jurassic Cafe and had some chicken adobo. 

TENTH RIDE - SUPER MARIO WORLD - Mario World is brand new.. just opened this summer and you can't use your express pass. So we were prepared for the long long wait. But the world itself was marvelous.. like wow. 





You could pay extra to get a wrist band and play additional games while in the world, the cafe needed reservations made in advance and the line itself was so impressive. I just couldn't help be both in awe and think of how all this money could be put to better use. 

The ride was like the Mario Racing game.. everyone wore digital headset and while we rode together we all played our own game. It was pretty cool and worth the long line. 

ELEVENTH RIDE - THE MUMMY - This was the last ride of the day. It had been previously closed but it finally opened so we hurried on over. It was really really good. It got a shriek out of the boys and it was very thrilling. Perfect way to end the day.


Before we left we walked around for a bit.. still having time to spare.. making sure the kids didn't want to redo anything.. we walked through Hogwarts.. H got some jelly beans from Honey Dukes.. they have gross flavors like earwax and boogers mixed in with the good ones.. so you never know what you are going to get. And we got a glass of Bug Juice. It was bad.. like really really bag. Imagine drinking watered down mint toothpaste with some seltzer water and boba. Eew. I kept accidentally drinking it and being shocked by house gross it was until we finally found a trash can. 

All in all I think if we had to choose only one park to do then Disney would win. 

But it was still a good day. It was our last night in Los Angeles. We headed back to the hotel and then headed out to find some food.. we ate at Papi Tacos.


These were so good.. sauce dripped down our arms and we didn't care good.. 

But we aren't done with California just yet.. we leave the city behind for some time with nature. 





   Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6   

Comments

  1. I am really glad you enjoyed it but suspect that time with nature is more my speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing and it seems you all had a lot of fun. Photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family is just awesome. The pictures are always so fun to see. I'm glad you had fun. And those tacos...Oh my they look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ability to schedule and streamline an amusement park is an awe-inspiring skill!! That dessert is HUGE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fun…the smiles keep coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of the two you've shown us, I think there is more at Disney that I would enjoy. But wow, what a donut!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds SO very different from the one in Florida! My boys mostly spent the two days in the Harry Potter world and only emerged to ride other rides occasionally. My husband and mother in law have a hard time with the virtual/ 3-D moving motion picture rides so for us Disney was a bigger hit as well. BUT, I'd still love to visit this one since we are a huge amusement park family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounded fun, but very exhausting :-) and I think that is the biggest donut I've ever seen! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids were a bit younger when we went but loved all of the fun HP things with the wands and such.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been to Universal since all they had was the studio tour (so, decades). It looks like you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun time at Universal Studio. Wow, what a huge and Yummy looking donut! I would have loved to go through the Harry Potter journey. Those tacos look delicious. Have never heard of them. Fun times and smiles all around. Looking forward to seeing your nature photos in California.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to visit Universal Studio but it will not happen but it sounds like you had a great visit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like smaller parks are more managable in general. Looks like another fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pics, Hena! And ur post just reminded me...my hubby and I have been to both Universal Studios in Hollywood (just us) and in Florida (with the whole fam), and my husband almost got into a fight there. LOLZ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures and recaps of the rides. I honestly didn´t know there was a Universal Studios in California. I had only heard of the Florida one. It sure makes sense to have one in Cali!! The food you ate looks fantastic- the drinks not so much :). I want one of those huge donuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your reports are so enjoyable, it feels like being there. Great pictures, especially the boyz in front of the monster.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10/23/2023

    We have been considering a trip here for next summer! I haven't been since my 8th grade class trip wayyy back in '92! Ha, ha! I'd love to see the Harry Potter stuff. That donut is massive. Yum!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our kids and grandkids were there! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like so much fun! I'd love to visit the Super Mario area :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous time you all had, so many wonderful memories made! xx
    Janet
    www.rediscoveringmystyle.com

    ReplyDelete

  21. I have never been to Universal Studios. Now I need to go! Thanks for sharing all these fun rides!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun place to visit for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wonderful place... you and yours look have fun and great experience

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't get over the size of that doughnut!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm with Vix. lol And nature is my preference these days. I look forward to more photos. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like you had an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh dear. I hate to be the wet blanket but it's been 25 years since I went to an amusement park, and I know that if I have another 25 years left, nothing could induce me to enter an amusement park, hahaha! I hate crowds, lines, heat, and overpriced anything. Just cannot do it. I look forward to the nature part. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. We went there early in the morning and there were no lines or queues. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous10/25/2023

    Looks like a wonderful time. You look beautiful by the way. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. i have been there so many times with our kids years ago and i remember enjoying this park. you kept a great diary, and i can see from the pictures it has changed a lot. less thrilling is good for me and it sounds like it is a good size!! awesome pics of the kids, nice that you had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I LOVE the Harry Potter ride! I went on it in Florida and it was brilliant!

    Corinne x
    https://skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's Nice H was able to go along on the rides now, it all looks so neat to just walk around even without the rides. Some of the food doesn't sound all that good that's for sure but I guess it is all part of the experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I remember the Jaws jump from when my family visited Universal Studios in 1976!! It's really grown, and I don't think I could do all the lines and crowds anymore (crowd anxiety). I love your boys' expressions in the pictures! They look they're having a blast!

    Sorry for not visiting, Hema - my life's been turbulent lately. Thank you so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This brings back so many memories of my last (and only!) trip to Universal! So much fun. Might have to plan a trip of my own soon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. No, no, no. Way too many people. Even though I would find some of those sights interesting, I do not see myself ever gong there. Looks like the kids thoroughly enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  36. That looks like so much fun! I need to take my granddaughter. First thing I would do is find out where they sell those giant donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've never been a huge Harry Potter fan, but I loved the Harry Potter area at Universal Studios in Florida. It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great time out with family
    Feel free to take a look at my latest fashion post.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh very cute photos darling
    This look like a great trip

    ReplyDelete
  40. Damn you seem to have had such an amazing time! I want to go there too!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sounds like you had a much better (smoother) experience than we had in Florida, standing in the broiling sun for sometimes hours to get to an attraction. You made beautiful family memories.

    ReplyDelete
  42. No the way I would choose to spend my time, but I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Amazing Photos, this looks like so much fun. The big pink Donut look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  44. Universal is so much fun! It sounds like it's a lot different than Florida.

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  45. The Super Mario World looks fantastic. I haven't been to Universal since way before the Harry Potter stuff was added and really need to go back at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  46. That must have been quite an adventure for your entire family. Sorry the food and drinks didn't always work out, but those tacos look amazing! Welcome back from a fun getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I haven't been to Unversal Hollywood in ages but I think it would be such fun with the kids. I've almost always found food disappointing for the price one pays -- but then we don't go places like that to save money!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography