One Day in Lucerne, Switzerland

Hello! Hope you are all having a nice summer and my fellow Americans' are enjoying a lovely 4th of July weekend.  

As most of you know we were on vacation.. those who follow me on Instagram know that we were in Switzerland. We had a wonderful time.. so absolutely beautiful. 

We left on a Friday evening, I am a big fan of taking red eye flights. We try to get as much rest as we can on the plane, keep the first day light and make an early night out of it. It, to me, is better than wasting a day on travelling. 

So we landed in Zurich bright and early Saturday morning. From the airport we walked to the train station next door, bought our Swiss Travel Passes and headed to Lucerne. 

First a word about the Swiss Travel Pass. It's not for everyone but if you are doing a lot of travelling within the country then it might be just the thing for you. Before we left I calculated approximately how many trains, buses and cable cars we would have to take throughout the trip vs the cost and discounts the Travel Pass afforded us and for us the pass was extremely worth it. 


We started with the iconic Chapel Bridge. We wandered around getting a feel of the area before heading to the Musegg Wall. The Musegg Wall and its nine towers are part of Lucerne's historic fortifications. You can climb up the clock tower and walk along the walls to get a better view of the city. 



All the stairs and heat had tired us so we decided to sit down for some lunch.. and what does one eat on their first day in the country that invented fondue? 


You guessed it! We went to Fondue House Du Pont for some delicious cheese fondue. It was served with bread and potatoes and we added two sides of protein.


With our bellies full of cheese we headed back out into the city. We headed towards the less famous
Spreuer bridge. But first we had to stop and marvel at the Hydroelectric power plant built right onto the River Reuss.



The first mills on the Reuss were constructed in 1178. It was fascinating and mesmerizing to watch. For those interested you can read more about the power plant and its history here


Within the Spreuer bridge hung slightly violent paintings which I later learned were the Dance of Death paintings. More than sixty triangular paintings that compose the "Dance of Death" series were commissioned in the early 17th century by the Council of Lucerne to remind citizens of the ever present risk of death and to encourage a healthy lifestyle. 



We walked around a bit more but for those with limited time Lucerne could easily be seen in a couple of hours leaving you more time for the mountains surrounding Lucerne. We decided we had earned some ice cream before heading back to the hotel.


By the time we got to the hotel our bags were waiting in our room. We took a breather before heading out again for dinner.

We ate a delicious dinner at Rathaus Brauerei.




And that was how we spent our day in Lucerne. Tomorrow we were off to Mount Pilatus. Check back in next week for the details. 



            Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6   



.

Comments

  1. Love Switzerland (I am biased, I grew up there). It looks like your trip is going well. Enjoy the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of relatives that live in Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I accidentally hit publish before I was finished. Love all of your photo's and can't wait to see more. My Swiss grandfather used to make us fondue often. The cheese and chocolate in Switzerland are amazing. I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could you NOT have fondue in Switzerland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love when you share your adventures with us! What a fantastic place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucerne looks like a marvelous place for a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that country. Peaceful and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great start to a fabulous vacation -- what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think of Switzerland as the most beautiful country on earth. Beautiful photos. I'm imagining that wonderful fondue and delicious ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I visited Lucerne fifty years ago! I remember seeing a famous lion statue, but not the Dance of Death paintings. I'd love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! Continue to enjoy the vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow your adventures in Lucerne look totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I would be very tired if I traveled as much as you. But I do love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful time you had in Switzerland. Your meals look delicious, and that fondue! The bridge is charming, and you visited many historic places. The mountains surrounding Switzerland are beautiful, and the girls also took a journey there and loved it.

    Happy 4th!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow Lucerne looks wonderful remind me of The Sound of Music! The Musegg wall is just incredible and the fondue looked so good. What a great trip!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing pictures, and fondue - YUM! I will be in Switzerland for the first time next year. My riverboat cruise starts in Basel. I know nothing about the city, but I am still excited. I hope your family continues to have an amazing and safe adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Advanced Happy 4th of July! And OMG! Lucerne! The city looks so lovely. The food pics look fab as always:))

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds like such a wonderful first day. What a beautiful city to explore too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was supposed to visit Switzerland a few days ago but a family health concern cancelled our trip. It looks beautiful and I look forward to reading and seeing more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like all your lovely photos with smiling faces, not a place I will every get to visit except like this so thank you for this post

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful vacation to Switzerland. It's been about 13 years since I was last there. My husband's aunt and cousins live there. I'm due for another visit. I can't wait to hear more about your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous7/03/2023

    A lovely post, I did enjoy seeing your photographs and so pleased you enjoyed a fondue in Switzerland :)

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. We enjoyed our family trip to Switzerland all those years ago, brought back memories thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lucerne is really beautiful.
    Gorgeous photos, Hena.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lucerne looks absolutely amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that you and your family travel so much! Switzerland looks wonderful!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your family is blessed to be able to see so much of the world in your travels! Switzerland looks amazing, thanks for the great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great summer trip! We were over there years ago after graduate school. It is on our list to get back to! Have a wonderful trip! Weather looks amazing! xo laura

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow that looks like a fun place to explore for sure, so many interesting things to see, love the architecture too! So pretty on the water. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your boys have seen as much at their young age, then many have seen in a lifetime! Neither Barb nor I have been overseas, doubt we ever will.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lucerne does look super beautiful. Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous7/05/2023

    I would love to visit. Looks beautiful. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. This looks amazing! I would love to see Switzerland with my family one day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am amazed by just how much your family is able to travel. Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely pictures, you made that one day fun and memorable.

    Bernie,
    The Style Fanatic

    ReplyDelete
  38. It looks like you folks know how to travel. See interesting things and eat great food. I love your tip about red eye flights because taking a day to travel to and from sure waste's a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gorgeous photos, you make everywhere look more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous7/06/2023

    Wow! That fondue meal looks impressive. I would have been all for that! :) Looks like a fun day!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. ILooks like a fun day! Interesting but a little disturbing bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Switzerland looks absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow! Switzerland looks so beautiful!! And the food!! I want some of that fondue!! : )
    So glad you are enjoying your trip! Lucerne is on my bucket list for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. How nice, this looks like an incredible trip! And the food looks awesome! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  45. beautiful views and good foods....
    have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  46. This looks like such a wonderful trip. Switzerland is on my travel bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I've never been to Switzerland but it looks like both a beautiful and delicious country. I love, just love, that your children are becoming citizens of the world, learning different cultures, hearing different languages, trying different foods. So many Americans seem so insulated. Bravo -- what good parents you are.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful photos and it looks like you had a wonderful time in Lucerne. It's one of my favorite Swiss towns - I was there two years ago and am going back next month!
    Julia x
    https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  49. These photos are stunning and that fondue looks amazing! Can't wait to read more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What wonderful photographs! I visited Germany, Austria, and Switzerland with my high school choir in 1986 but ten days was too brief for three countries. And teenaged hormones made it even more a blur. lol My favorite memories revolve around new friendships and our impromptu performances, such as in front of an Austrian fountain. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography