Ramadan Mubarak

Today is the first day of Ramadan. Ramadan is the 9th month of the Islamic calendar. It is a month where we practice self control, devote more time to prayer, reflect on the many blessings from Allah and give thanks. We do this by fasting for 30 consecutive days. We start by waking in the middle of the night before dawn to eat a meal called 'sehori' to help sustain us through the day and break our fast with preferably a date at dusk called 'iftaar' which in the long summer months is going to be somewhere around 8:25pm.. yikes! Back in Pakistan we would congregate at the masjid at this time, it was always a fun daily social gathering with the perfect balance of prayers, catching up with people and food :) But it is harder to replicate the atmosphere here.. our masjid is about an hour away and M works an hour away from home so with the commute it often becomes difficult to go to the masjid every night..  so we stay at home and make the most of it trying not to miss 'home' and family too much. And on the weekends and more auspicious nights we go to the masjid and it feels for a brief moment that we are back home. In celebration of this month I thought I'd feature some Muslim artisans or artisans creating Islamic pieces. 











Our (EARN) Indiegogo campaign is live I need your help to spread the word . Contribute, Share, Tweet, tell your friends.. anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated. CAMPAIGN

Get my post directly in you inbox with Bloglovin
I am now also offering ad space. See Sponsors for more information




Comments

  1. May Allah accept your fasting.

    I hope that's an appropriate blessing.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the ring, so pretty! xO!
    www.thehautecookie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know it can be hard to celebrate our traditions and rituals without family close by. good luck and many blessings on your Ramadan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Ramadan! I am sorry you are away from home and family, but glad that you have M by your side. I hope it is a really special month for the two of you, and D too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great collection and thank you for including my ring!

    Happy Ramadan/ Ramadan Mubarak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting to find out about ramadan! great selection!
    Please support my up and coming blog about life and fashion in Los Angeles by following it on Bloglovin ;) I can follow you back if you want ;)

    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramadan kareem Hena! Wishing you a peaceful and meaningful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting reading about ramadan. The art is beautiful! I love the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8/01/2012

    Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it,
    you might be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark
    your blog and may come back sometime soon. I want to encourage yourself
    to continue your great posts, have a nice evening!
    Here is my site :: anti-spyware

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Ramadan is just around the corner. I am so excited. I'd like to express my most heartwarming Ramadan wishes to all of Muslim brothers and sisters. Ramadan Mubarak to all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography