In the Basement: A Space for the Boys

Before we even got started on the basement we had know that we wanted to make a special space for the boys.. a little hide out or nook carved out for them. As we progressed with the planning and thanks to Pinterest we were able to find a ton of ideas.. all the while making sure we didn't go too crazy.

When we started with the space it looked something like this:


But after the painting was done and before the carpet was installed we got t work making that perfect little nook for the boys.


Luckily thanks to all the utility rooms we were forced to create a perfect little nook was created for us.. with the help of my dad who happened to be visiting at the time we all got to work and the result was..


Now to take a step back and walk you through the process. Step One was to build the base.




Step Two attach it to the wall.. as an extra support they attached to 2x4's to the wall to lay the base on.. once the entire structure was built those 2x4's were removed. 



Step Three the front of the loft.. 



Step Four the ladder


You see the yellow slide in the background.. well we very much wanted to install a slide to make this little tree house loft complete.. unfortunately things didn't go exactly as planned. the slide was much longer than we had planned for the the space to narrow.. installed we ended up with a slide that ended about two feet away from the wall.. and we almost smacked right into the wall during our practice slide.. not exactly child friendly :(

See for yourself.. eek


The walls surrounding the walls were then covered with plywood for a future project.. and once the once the carpet was laid an area under the loft was created too..




Balls! 

Once the space was created it was my turn to paint.. so first I primed it.. painted the walls and inside of the loft a yellow and the front of the loft plus some stairs blue and upon D's insistence added a touch of pink! And D was in charge of the car decals.






We threw inside the cushions of our old Ektorp sofa that was headed to the curb for some added comfort and stuck glow in the dark stars on the ceiling.. in the near future a rope ladder will be added in place of the slide and the yellow walls have a purpose we home to finish by the end of the year..

We put D's little slide his aunt gave him for his first birthday to good use..


Can you handle a little more..?

The rest of the kids space looks a little like this


The trampoline a gift from aunt on H's first birthday.. some bookshelves we no longer used.. a cute ikea table and chairs, storage buckets and swing in the corner.




Get my post directly in you inbox with Bloglovin
I am now on Instagram.. Come Along and Follow me on my Photo Journey


Comments

  1. Wow! This is absolutely amazing! It looks like such a fun place!

    WritingMonique

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I love the ball pit!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, How cool! The little ones must be really happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kid wouldn't kill for this? Amazing work, I'd have never left that fort and ball pit as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome, Hena!!! I love the idea of a ball pit in the basement, and how cool to have a little fort to climb in. They must be in heaven. You are one fun mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a great play-space. I had a little loft like that when I was younger, though not so deluxe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! This is just perfect, Hena! Love that loft so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This room is so cool! How cool to be handy like that. What safe fun your boys can have now and your future, little guests will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable play space! Love the ball pit :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks absolutely fantastic - what a gorgeous spot for them to plot world takeovers and the like!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You guys are real DIY-ers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, love what you guys did especially the ball-pit. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!! This is incredible! You guys did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I luv luv luv the way it turned out. What a unique and AMAZINGLY FUN looking space. I want a fun penthouse like this one too ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's amazing! I wish we could have basements in FL - so much potential. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing!! Boys must love that!!
    Xoxo

    http://www.sweetsimpleday.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hena, that is absolutely amazing!! It looks like so much fun! My boy isn't big enough for it, but I am still jealous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woow. You made a lovely space with a touch of style. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. klasss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that play room looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such lucky boys. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those boys are SO LUCKY! Ah it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. love how it's coming along!! great job!

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  25. You made a fantastic place, I would have love that in my home when I was a kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how hands on you are and how you make growing up such a joy for your kids!!! They must LOVE it down there :)

    Very, very, very cute xxxx

    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome! I bet they really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness! How did I miss this post. That is incredible. What a beautiful job you all did. I turned out perfect. I bet they are having the time of their life in it. What fun parents you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it!!! That ballpit totally would have been my dream as a kid! In fact, I still want it even though I'm an adult lol

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography