Reading in 2012

This wasn't the best year for me and books.. I read plenty but not many blew my mind..

I used to have this thing about never leaving a book unfinished. I thought it rude to the author to not finish. There was always a slight chance that things would turn around and with a little clever twist I would end up liking it rather than not. I can no longer afford to do that. I am mom to a toddler, I am exhausted, I barely get the time to read. I make the time because I love to read. If in the first few chapters I am not even mildly engaged then I just stop reading and move on. I also joined Good Reads this year and love it, I entered a few of the giveaways and one a few books :) Which in turn exposed me to a few writers I hadn't known..


Virgin of Small Plains - Nancy Pickard - Started strong but ended predictably


The World According to Garp - John Irving - Loved this one. It made me laugh and cry. It stayed with me long after I finished reading it.


The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest - Stieg Larsson - A great end to a great series.. Lisbeth, you will be missed.


Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Gail Gaiman - This was supposed to be hilarious.. I expected fits of laughter. It got a few chuckles and a giggle or two from me or maybe I have lost my sense of humor. M would disagree, he thinks I usually laugh for no apparent reason.


Codon Zero - Jim Hendee - The premise while typical, one man beating the odds and saving the world it had a few good twists but that all stopped half way into the book when everything just became so predictable.. If I had finished reading this one I could say that a few more twists occurred and it got interesting.. but I didn't have the patience to.


The River Witch - Kimberly Brock - I had very low expectations when I started reading this one. But I ended up enjoying it immensely. While it had it's predictable moments and it's cliches the writing and message was just so beautiful, the book had soul.


Out Of It - Selma Dabbag - It is a book about the Gaza Strip. As a Muslim this book about Muslims in war torn Gaza offended me on so many different levels. I consider myself a moderate Muslim. Some of our core beliefs include no alcohol which the characters of this book drank constantly. We believe in no sex before marriage, which the characters seemed to be having plenty of. And most of the characters so conveniently were travelling to London?! It just didn't make any sense. Was the author trying to say 'yes we're Muslims but we're not all bad.. look look we drink alcohol and have sex before marriage like all you normal folks?!" I did not just not complete the book I also was angry with it.. it made we angry long after I had banished it to the bookshelf... grrr


To Wander The Labyrinth - Brian Peters - Fast paced. A lot about the torture techniques used by the government, Peters painted such a vivid pictures it was at time disturbing. I may not have loved the book but it was not bad. The only major problem I had with it was the ending, I hate those think what you want endings.. I don't want to have to come up with the ending myself.. you are the author, you are supposed to do that!


The Elusive Mr. McCoy - Brenda L Baker - It was a standard mistaken identity/man living two lives tale but I was hooked. It was a great entertaining read.


Nobody Move - Denis Johnson - This one I stopped reading even before I started it. The Mother in Law Diaries by Carol Dawson and Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris met a similar fate.


Maps of Hell - Paul Johnston - It was a crazy fun ride.


61 Hours - Lee Child - So blah. Sure I didn't know who the bad guy was until it was revealed but I found myself not even caring. But I did finish this one..


Ravens - George Dawes Green - This book could have been so good, it had so much potential. But it was such an utter waste..


The Help - Kathryn Stockett - Do I really need to say much about this one. You know I loved it.. and for those of you who watched the movie but didn't read the book, READ the book. It is better. I waited to read it before I watched the movie..


Fire Season - Jon Loomis - It was funny, clever, unpredictable and sometimes even a little predictable. There were many story lines some more interesting than other.. I liked the book but just not enough to love it. I'm not really sure what was it was... but something was just missing.

So I guess that makes it 12 books read and finished. Unfinished 5.. yikes.
Here's a look at what I read in 2011

What was your favorite read of 2012? Something to add to my never ending list of reads.. :)


                                             Etsy      Instagram      Twitter      Bloglovin





























Comments

  1. Oh The World According to Garp is one of my all time favourites! In fact, over the holidays I was just telling my mother she has to read it. I too read and loved The Help in 2012, however have still to see the movie.

    I really enjoyed the Hunger Games, and am just about to crack open the next book in that series. I also liked Water for Elephants and Lovely Bones.

    Like you I feel badly when I don't finish something, and do have a few books in that position on my shelf too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too loved Water for Elephants and Lovely Bones.. I liked them so much I refused to watch the movies.. they hardly ever live up to the books.

      Delete
  2. me too. i only read the grey's trilogy, and that isn't a really "philosophical" read even though it was really fun keke. I need to find some books to read this year too. xO!
    www.thehautecookie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol.. at least you read something.. and that counts.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all the recommendations! I have heard The World Accordig to Garp is pretty great, I will have to check it out! I'm the same way about trying to finish every book i start. Although some of the free kindle books I've downloaded have been almost painful to get through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do check it out.. I've recommending it to everyone this year.

      Delete
  4. Love your blog!

    If you get a sec, check out my latest post... Geometric sequins.

    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally feel you--I cannot finish books I don't like anymore. This year I started reading Roberto Bolano's 2666, and I loved the beginning, but about halfway through it got so violent I couldn't take it. Stuff of nightmares! I also loved The Help:) Glad you read some good ones this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much !

    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com

    Coline !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Defending Jacob was great! My book club read Faith, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, and The Paris Wife among others...They were all good and different.

    Enjoy creating your 2013 reading list!
    ali
    www.40tasks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is an awesome title... makes me want to read it

      Delete
  8. I loooved The Help! And the movie was so good, too! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! I'm glad you wrote this post and shared your thoughts on the books you've read. I needed ideas on what to read in 2013.

    I agree with the commenter above. The Paris Wife was pretty good. It made me want to seek out more books about Hemingway's life.

    Cheers,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of the Paris Wife.. will be checking it out.

      Delete
  10. I think the only one I read from here is The Help...and it was amazing! I also enjoyed perks of being a wallflower, An object of beauty... idk now :D
    xoxo

    novelstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should join Goodreads, and come find me! It is the best way to keep track of what you have read and find new books to read

    Daisy Dayz
    New Alternate Day Diet Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on GoodReads.. at has turned me on to so many good books. How can I find you.. more than a few Daisy May's came up when I searched.

      Delete
  12. I loved the Hunger Games trilogy!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading your "read" list! I don't have much time to read but I did watch a few movies (oops)> I saw The Help so now you've convinced me to read the book. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so impressed that you did all that reading with a toddler! I used to read all the time when my kids were young too. It's so enjoyable to steal a few moments and relax with a good novel or a maybe not so good one! Enjoyed your list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.. I do most of my reading in the car waiting in the parking lot when picking D up from playschool. If it's a really interesting book I'll leave a little early so I have more time in the car :)

      Delete
  15. I LOVED The Help, it was one of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're Good Omen's review made me laugh. I had the same opinion. I thought it would be like Dogma, which made me laugh out loud, but no.
    The Girl Who series was amazing and ruined me on books for awhile because nothing was quite so exciting after those books.
    I just finished reading Silver Linings Playbook, which is an easy but good read.
    Love your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! thanks.
      Silver Linings is a book too.. is there any movie that isn't?

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography