Manuel Antonio - Part Two

Our last day arrived. Time for the main attraction. Manuel Antonio National Park. You have to buy tickets in advance. Passport numbers are required. They only admit a certain amount of visitors per time slot and are closed on Tuesday. When I tried to book tickets weeks before we departed I had to try various time slots until I could find one that allowed all four of us. It is not a user friendly website so I'd say book in advance! 

Manuel Antonio National Park is considered one of the most biodiverse parks in the world, with a population of 109 types of mammal and 184 types of bird, among other species. At just 16 square kilometres, Manuel Antonio is the smallest of Costa Rica’s 161 national parks but the most visited.

We opted not to get a guide.. though I was having doubts the day of since we hadn't really seen as many animals on this trip as I had expected. When we asked at the ticket booth they had no more guides available.. but thankfully we saw our first animal within minutes of entry. Relief. 


We started on the purple route them went on the blue, took red down to the first beach then walked up the yellow to enjoy the second beach (more secluded) then joined the pink and exited the park. 

On to the animals




There are three monkey's that call Manuel Antonio their home; Howler Monkey, White Faced Capuchin Monkey and the Squirrel Monkey. We only saw the capuchin monkey. They had no fear of humans and if not looking would run off with your stuff. Fun monkey video here.


Then there were the reptiles




This is a Fer-de-lance snake, it is the most dangerous snake of Central and South America and causes more human deaths than any other American reptile.


Black spiny-tailed iguana


Not sure if they are both the same species.. they did look different but could be a male and a female? I did look at many iguana pictures online to see if I could figure it out. 

The beach






and finally the sloths, both two and three toed sloths reside in the park. See a video of a sloth on the move here




The park closed at four and we had no choice but to leave this paradise and head back to reality. 

After we got cleaned up we decided to go to Emilio's Cafe for some coffee and dessert. We played some Uno and watched the sun go down. And then had dinner at Tico Rico. None of the meals in Manuel Antonio blew us away hence no pictures. 




The next morning we got ready to leave. Bade farewell to Manuel Antonio and started to make the three hour drive back to San Jose. Tired of eating the same gallo pinto each morning we stopped at the Anaconda Cafe first.



The place was full of monkeys, one stole a pepper shaker right off the table next to us.
 
I still felt like I hadn't tried enough exotic fruits so we thought we'd stop at the Central Market in San Jose before heading to the airport. We had enough time.


But weather didn't cooperate, it wanted to give us one last rain, considerably slowing down our drive. Fortunately we saw a large fruit stall on the side of the road and stopped.



We picked a few things at random. First we ate the rambutans, those red spiky guys in the picture above. M and I had had them before in Singapore. For those of you who have never tried one it is similar to a lychee. 


Next we tried the malay apple or manzana de agua. It tasted like a very watery pear. This was my least favorite. It tasted like nothing.  
 

Last was the purple spheres above. We bought it but didn't know what it was or how to eat it. We were in the car so I had no utensils. After a quick Google search we discovered you eat the insides, not the skin so I had no choice but to rip it open. Video here. 


H had a lego piece in his backpack and we macgyver'ed it into a spoon.. lol. It was very sweet. It is called a star apple. It had large black seeds and it reminded me of a custard apple. It was very good just wish we were eating it under better circumstances.. but hey it was part of the adventure. 

And that's a wrap. I hope you enjoyed our journey. 

 


       Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6 

Comments

  1. wow, you really captured the animals you saw on this trip! I love sloths (wish I could be slow like them lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing park! You encountered that deadly snake in the park?? I am impressed that you seem nonplussed by it! I would have been freaking out! I hope your travels home were safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That park looks amazing!! Too bad about the food though. The desserts look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a good ZOOM lens for the snake. LOL It IS kind of beautiful, but that triangle head says DANGER!!! Now I have to wonder. What did the monkey want with pepper?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of that fresh fruit looks so good!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monkeys make me nervous! I enjoyed the sloths and the reptiles, though. There are so many fruits (and other foods) I've seen on TV, but never gotten to try. The Star Apple looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Manuel Antonio National Park sounds exciting. I'm glad you were able to see lots of animals.
    And look at all that fresh exotic fruit!
    Thank you for sharing your adventures! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos! Too funny about the sticky-fingered monkeys. :) I love that your son is reading Catching Fire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful time! I loved the photos of the monkeys. Even despite the rain on the ride back, it sounds like such a lovely trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your boys are so fortunate to have these great experiences with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your pictures make me dream!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading about all the family time and memory making. Thank you for sharing your adventures. I loved all the smiles!!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post about your travels once again Hena! Cherish those family moments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2/12/2024

    I have to agree with the other comments. ~grin~ I thought that one fruit looked like lychee. ~nods~ Well done on getting that purple fruit open. lol Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2/12/2024

    Oh, that was me commenting on the lychee. ~shakes head~ Again, best wishes.

    - Darla Sands

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was quite a lot of animals that you saw. And those were some interesting fruits. It sounds like it was a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seems a good time was had by all. Lovely family photos, not into snakes but interesting to see one.
    A wide width of sand there on the beach, yet the water is not looking good as in clean but I expect it was.
    The view are brilliant to sit at a table and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the monkey looks so unique....never seen in nature....
    thank you for sharing beautiful photos as always...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos from the park and Costa Rica, it is one of my favorite places to visit. I love all the beautiful wildlife. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you managed to spot lots of wildlife. Jon & I always end up being attacked by monkeys wherever we go in the world, they're so cute but evil when they bare their teeth and launch themselves at you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks like you had a wonderful time. I love all the pictures of the animals. And that fruit! Looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome photography and handsome family ~ Wow ~ namaste,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you had an awesome adventure at Manuel Antonio National Park.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was a trip filled with interesting things of nature. I enjoyed it, as I love spending time in nature. Jess is fascinated with the Sloth. The fruit at the fruit stands looks so exotic and ripe and Yummy. Those desserts look amazing. And with coffee and a sunset, even better. ; ) Sounds like a great trip!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can live without the reptiles but I adore the sloths! This looks like a great place -- love the water and glad it was good for swimming. Also love the market stand. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How amazing, you got see all those animals! I love capuchins and the sloth. You're a very adventurous family!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an amazing trip! The animals! The sloth is my favorite. The views from the restaurants are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I love monkeys they are so fun to watch, the sloths are interesting too, I am not much on the reptiles :) That is neat you were able to see them, and fun to do the trip on your own. The beach looked like it was nice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Everything here made the post amazing but maybe not as amazing as the trip its self

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous2/14/2024

    Oh, it would be so neat to see monkeys and sloths in the wild! What a great trip!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous2/14/2024

    What an amazing trip and I loved seeing all the animals.
    The fruits are definitely fun and you're so good at trying new things.
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. how marvellous to see the wildlife esp. the sloths! Interesting fruit. I often think exotic fruit is a bit pointless except for the colours as there is often very little taste! Tho I do love a lychee!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks like you had a great time. I love playing uno.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an amazing trip you had! And such beautiful wildlife photos!
    Julia x
    https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful pictures. Monkeys in person, good to know to be careful.
    I see the word playa, and my eyes glaze over.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous2/16/2024

    Wow these sounds complicated to set up. But SO worth it. What an incredible wilderness park to visit.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! What a paradise! So happy you got to see the animals, but that snake must have been scary knowing how poisonous it is.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What an amazing adventure! Both scary and interesting to see the Fer-de-lance snake. Thx for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous2/17/2024

    Woe part two may be even better. You snapped so many wild animals. The food looks de-lish! And that beach WOW. I could use a trip there right about now.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for sharing all the photos and so much fun information. I am not an (up close and personal) wildlife fan and not sure I could handle this park but it sure is lovely enjoying through someone else's photos and comments!:)

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a diverse and fascinating place. Although it's too bad the website wasn't user friendly, I love the fact that they control the experience by limiting the number of people allowed in at once.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This looks so incredible! What an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a wonderful family vacation. I enjoyed looking at the photos of your trip. The monkeys are cute but I don't like snakes and the beach looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Yay for finally get to to spot and enjoy some wildlife! That sounds like a wonderful day and your drive back in the pouring rain reminds me of our last Florida trip; we could hardly see at times the rain was so dense.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography