48 Hours in La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Around the same time last month we started our winter break by flying to Costa Rica. It was an adventure of a lifetime! 

We took a red eye flight on the 21st of December landing in San Jose bright and early on the morning of the 22nd. Picked up our rental and drove for 3 hours straight to our first destination. GPS worked perfectly, we didn't have too many issues with connectivity and the roads were in decent condition. 

When we were home the forecast in Costa Rica did not look so good. Thanks to global warming the rainy season which was supposed to end in November seemed to be extending far into December. We saw a solid 7 days of rain ahead of us and while we were not happy about it we were prepared to make the best of it. 

San Jose had been nice and sunny but the closer we got to our first destination the rain started to pick up. Our first destination was La Fortuna home to the Arenal Volcano (active, last eruption in 2010), Chato Volcano (dormant), the La Fortuna Waterfall as well as numerous hot springs. La Fortuna means The Fortune (for its fertile lands) is Spanish. It has a population of approximately 15,383 inhabitants.

Our first stop was lunch at Mercadito Arenal. We ate some of the best birria tacos ever!



Next stop Místico Arenal Hanging Bridges. You must buy tickets online in advance. The park consists of 16 bridges, a tunnel and a waterfall. 6 bridges are hanging while the other 10 are fixed. The longest bridge is 368 ft long and the highest bridge is 148 ft high. The main trail is approximately 2 miles long. 




It rained the whole time we were there.. it added a bit to the mystery of the rainforest and a bit to our misery. :(


We (the adults) tried to fake positivity and optimism. The bridges.. especially the hanging ones were very cool.. even a little frightening at times especially when other people were on it with you causing it to shake. Not at all recommended for those who have a fear of heights. I made a little video.
 


We saw a total of 1 animal. This lovely bird, the Broad Billed Motmot. No one wants to be out in the rain, not even the animals. 


Afterwards we headed to the hotel to check in. We stayed at the Los Lagos Resort which featured it's very own set of hot spring pools. After checking in we quickly changed and found our way to the warm comforting hot springs. Throughout La Fortuna there are several natural hot springs with temperatures ranging from 30 to 50 °C, which emanate from the depths of the volcano through rivers located in the Earth's crust.




That night we had dinner at El Jardin de Frida. No pictures were taken. ps. it was still raining. 


The next morning we had breakfast included with the hotel stay. The rain was taking a break. The view from our room is above. 

I knew we are supposed to be located at the foothills of a volcano but due to the rain and fog we had yet to see it. We didn't even know which direction it was in.. 


Our first activity of the day was zip lining. We zip lined with Ecoglide and had a brilliant time. After we were geared up we along with a large group of other people had a safety demo and then we drove up to the first line. The tour consisted of 11 cables, 13 platforms and a suspension bridge. Nine of these platforms are in the trees where we were immersed in nature. The longest was 688 feet long and the highest was 1410 feet high. Yikes. Again not for those with a fear of heights. But it was otherwise very safe and the people at the platforms helping you were extremely kind and accommodating. 



It started to rain as we reached our first zip line but it wasn't so bad. All the mist and fog created a cool rainforest-y atmosphere. It was a surreal experience. At certain moments the rain would stop and the clouds would lift and sun would break through and then it would just start raining again. 


It was a two hour experience. They provided us with photos and videos of the tour at $10 per person. We paid. 

Afterwards we were in need of some food. We stopped at Pollo Fortuneno to have a delicious lunch.




We ended up sitting too long for lunch. We had two activities left for the day and time for only one. Most activities and parks close at 4pm. We chose to do the hike as it would take longer and save the waterfall for tomorrow morning. Oh I wish we had chosen differently.. this trip was about to take a downward turn but we just didn't know it. 

There was a break in the rain again but by the time we pulled into the parking lot of Mirador El Silencio it had of course started to drizzle again. There are three primary hikes in La Fortuna that bring you close to the views of Arenal Volcano. Something we had still not seen btw. After reading many posts comparing the hikes this blog post convinced me that Mirador El Silencio was the way to go. We paid the entry fee and grabbed a map before starting our hike. 


As suggested by the man at the desk we started at number 1 passed 3 and went up to 5 to get a view of Lake Arenal before continuing on to the lava at number 6 and then while not planned we did detour off to 7 walk by the green lake (which I am glad we did) then down the main road and back to the entrance. The whole thing took us about 2ish hours to do.



It was really coming down. The thick foliage was shielding us from much of it but any bug spray we had applied had been long washed off. Things were biting me.. no animals in sight, my poor boys sucking it up but obviously not happy. We get to point 3 and turn towards the lake when the rain finally stops. I tell M my forehead is so itchy and that's when he first stops to get a good look at me. 


The picture was taken after liberally applying a topical Benadryl. We took a moment and then carried on to the lake view. We made the turn towards it and there right in front of us, the clouds moved and we spotted the volcano. Moments later it disappeared once again. 


On the way there we also spotted a coati. But the people behind us were so loud it ran away too quick for us to get a decent shot. People! You can see it's upright tail just left of the tree.

                                    

Next we headed towards number 6 - the lava fields trail. From here, we could see the old lava flows from the biggest eruption that occurred in 1968.


Right there behind H should be the Arenal Volcano. All the little glimpses of black you see among the trees is all lava.


D is touching lava. So cool right. 

Now we were supposed to head down the main road to our car but M wanted to check out the green lake and since it wasn't raining we continued on to number 7. Which was a good decision. One because almost no one continued with us and two we saw some birds! 



Not sure if the above birds are the same.. they are not very clear in the first picture. But I believe this is a Crested Guan


Above is the Orange Bellied Trogon and below a Toucan. I really wish I had better picture but the birds were quite far.. especially the toucan. We only spotted him/her because of the barking sound it was making. 


We also spotted the Oropendola. The sound it made was like.. I don't know I don't want to say car alarm, maybe one of those long door bells. A few clips of the birds and the sounds they make are here

Some of the plants we saw along the way.. I'm not even going to try to identify these.. but they were pretty and unique. So here they are.






On our way back to the hotel it seemed like a traffic jam until we realized it was an animal spotting and all the cars were slowing down to see what it was. M slowed down so I could hop out and get a better look. It was a sloth!!!


JOY

We headed back to the hotel and spent some time soaking in the volcanic hot springs before heading out for dinner. Now the problem with no sunshine and constant rain is that you never feel dry. Our clothes, our shoes, the car, even the room just felt moist and worse, smelled moist.. :(

Dinner was fine. On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a pharmacy to get some allergy meds for myself. My face was not doing so good. We had kids allergy meds but we didn't have anything for adults. The pharmacy sold us THREE Allegra's for $16! Like three individual tablets. At the moment we bought them but honestly I should have just taken a double dose of the kid version. Because when I woke up the next morning I looked like this


Fun. Thank God for oversized sunglasses.. I don't know how many kids I scared during breakfast.


That morning we were blessed with another viewing of the volcano. Right outside our freaking window.   

We checked out that morning with one stop left. La Fortuna Waterfall. The waterfall drops about 70−75 meters and is at the base of the dormant Chato volcano. The hike to the waterfall was pretty easy.. 530 steps down. The way up was a little more strenuous but nothing too bad. 


You could swim near the waterfall and while H and M did dip their legs in we didn't have enough time to fully enjoy the waterfall. Video here.  


On the way out of town we were blessed with another animal sighting.. coati's. Seeing the animals out in the wild was so much more satisfying then seeing them in a zoo. 

                       

         

       Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6 

Comments

  1. What a great read! Several people have suggested Jon & I visit Costa Rica as we'd love it but I think the rain would put me off (and the prices!)
    Gorgeous scenery and some fabulous creature spotting. Those bites sounded horrific, though. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of fun was had even in the rain. The photos are wonderful and I'm rather partial to misty foggy photos. Gosh you eyes, must have driven you mad with all that ichiness and swelling. Bit expensive for 3 tablets but I'm sure they helped in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go to Costa Rica!!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to visit costa rica! It even looks beautiful in the rain - sounds like you had an amazing time and that food looks lush!

    Corinne x
    https://skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That was an awesome vacation. The toucan would have been the highlight for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food looks delicious as always. Birria tacos are my favorite. I would not be able to do the bridges with my fear of heights. Your poor eyes, that must have been miserable. All and all though sounds like a nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my your allergic reaction must have been upsetting and uncomfortable!! I loved seeing all the green photos as I sit here looking and snow everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've said this before but I'm so impressed that you are introducing your children to countries around the world -- and their traditions, ecology, food, nature -- when they are such at wonderful and impressionable ages. Old enough to be fun to travel with, young enough to make an indelible impression that will serve them well for the rest of their lives. I love your travel posts as much for this as for the fun sights and foods you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great trip, minus the bugs. Love the zip lining shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a wonderful time and I enjoyed all your photos. Sorry about the allergic reaction though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun, jam-packed 48 hours! Too bad about the allergic reaction though. I love the colour and design of that fab taco food truck. And zip-lining is always amazing! (I did it once in Maui).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have visited Costa Rica three times and loved every minute. I am in the initial stages of planning a return visit. And I never took a picture of my food once!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Between the insects that got you, zip-lining, and swinging bridges, I think I'll pass on a vacation like this! I did enjoy the birds you posted on Instagram stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a shame about the rain and the insect bites for which I'm really commiserating as they always seem to come after me and cause allergic reactions with me too. Otherwise, it all looks pretty spectacular. Will head over to Instagram for the video later! Thank you for sharing your adventures Hena! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Costa Rica looks so beautiful and I enjoyed reading about your trip and looking at the photos. I'm sorry to hear about the bug bites and the allergic reaction. I always pack a lot of meds when I'm on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed traveling along with you. Great photos, I enjoyed seeing the sights, the food and family.
    Sending a hug... I know all about allergic reactions to bug bites, the same happens to me.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those rainy zip line photos are phenomenal! Frame worthy for sure! :)

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you were able to make the best of your trip, in spite of the rain and insect bites.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry about your allergies, that didn't look so fun. Everything else did look amazing, I so loved all of your photos. Especially the delicious tacos and the zip line adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Allergies are horrible but something far too many people suffer from, the zip line would scare me so bloody much

    ReplyDelete
  21. You do travel a lot and that makes me dream! Sorry for the allergy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh! SO sorry to read about the allergic reaction and all the rain. What an adventure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Costa Rica trip sounds fantastic. So tropical and jungly. So sorry you were bitten and swelled up. That's a scary thing to happen. The food looks really good and good size proportions. My family did zip lining in Costa Rica years ago, so I'm familiar with it. Those star flowers are so pretty. I liked the lava photos too. Such a memorable vacation.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  24. My husband and I stayed at the Nayara Resort near where you were. It was the most amazing experience ever! Your photos make me want to go back. The zip line there was incredible so I'm glad you did it.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think it's awesome that your family is able to travel and explore so many parts of the world together. Thanks for sharing the photos. I almost feel as if I went along on this trip! Sorry about the bug bites and rain, but you still made the best of everything and had a fun trip. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous1/22/2024

    I am so sorry about your allergic reaction to insect bites. It seems we're similar in being bug bait. lol Thank you for sharing these amazing images. Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1/23/2024

      Oops. I forgot to sign off as Darla Sands. ~shakes head~ Best wishes!

      Delete
  27. Yikes, what caused the swelling in your face? Just the bug bites? That looks painful. It sounds like it was a fun trip even with all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sorry you had those awful bites to deal with!
    Tip, in the future, carry salt packets with you. Moisten the skin and put ample bit of salt. Salt can take away the itch. The swelling I think ice helps. I don't remember if the salt helps with the swelling.
    I use bug spray, and the salt.
    Beautiful photographs. The food portions are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry that it rained so much but you guys always make the best out of your trips, I can't imagine being that wet all the time. Nice that you were able to see some animals and such pretty plants.
    I hope you were finally able to get something to help you with your swelling, that sure didn't look like it was very comfortable

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a cool place, even in the rain! You poor thing with your allergic reaction! I loved seeing all of the wildlife. We saw coatis in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous1/23/2024

    Looks beautiful. The food delicious.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. What great pics! That food looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Costa Rica looks beautiful! You captured some great shots of it. That tall waterfall is so pretty and all the food you guys ate looks really good. Things didn´t go perfectly but they rarely do when traveling. Thanks for the recap and pics- I would love to visit Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm sorry to hear about the rain and the allergic reaction, but otherwise this looks like such a dreamy vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG, I hope your face is fine now! The place looks beautiful and the food so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks like you guys had quite an adventure despite all the rain and your allergies.Touching lava must've been so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, your poor face, Hema! That sounds like an unpleasantly wet and moist time, and I can tell you're all making the best of it! However, it's really gorgeous, and wow, so many animals! I love the coatis!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I enjoyed reading about your holiday--and what gorgeous photos! Even with the rain awful bug bites, it sounds like you had a lovely time. It rarely fails that something goes wrong when my family travels. A sprained ankle or bruised toe . . . something. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Those insect bites! When we went to Italy, I got mosquito bites on my face while we were sleeping. I woke up with my face looking very much like yours and ended up getting drugged up with Benadryl to take the swelling down. And it was the day after we got engaged so no head shots please! You were such a trooper to continue to just go with it

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for sharing your trip. I would love to visit Costa Rica some day.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I did enjoy reading about your trip and seeing your photographs, but what a shame you had those bug bites to deal with.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  42. the forest looks great with thousands of animals and plants.... wish to visit it one day.
    thank you for sharing hotos and descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm glad you made the most of your trip, despite all that rain! I love finding great food while travelling.

    Ouch! Those bites!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have a friend from Costa Rica. I've always wanted to visit. Thanks for all your beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous1/27/2024

    Your trip looked incredible despite the rain and allergic reaction that did not look fun at all. But you were a trooper and got so much in and the food looked SO yummy!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh i hate rainy weeks of vacation where you want to do all sort of outdoor activities... this reminds me of our trip to the Shenandoah National park this summer and yes, we did feel damp all week long! My face gets like that with bug bites and yet I rarely think to travel with allergy meds-- I hope the ones you found worked. Very neat to see some animals in the wild like that and the waterfall looks so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  47. It looks like you made the most of your time there even with the rain and your allergic reaction, although I think I would have fainted at having to pay $16 for 3 tablets. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Too bad it rained so much but it really is beautiful! I've zip lined in the past and it was so much fun! Looks like you had a wonderful time despite the rain, and your allergic reaction! I hope you felt better quickly after taking some meds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography