Two days In and Around Big Sur

On the 11th day of our California adventure we left Yosemite and drove across the state to Monterey. It was a 3 hour drive. Once we got to Monterey we first grabbed some sandwiches' from Ike's before heading to Point Lobos State Park. There is an entrance fee to enter the park via car but free if you just walk in. 



In the parking lot one of the park workers had a informative booth set up about the animals in the park and those that can be spotted in the waters. She also warned us about poison ivy. We walked the Cypress Grove Trail, Bird Island Trail, Sea Lion Point and stopped outside the Whale Cabin Museum (which was closed)


The boys got a sheet from the nice lady about the plants and wildlife in the area.


Above is one of the many harbor seals we spotted.



That is bird island and it was covered with cormorants. 



We decided to call it an early day and check in to our hotel. We were staying at Monterey Hotel and Spa. We freshened up and rested for a bit before heading out for dinner. We ate at a fun Hawaiian place called Hula's.




The next day we headed to Big Sur. There was a section of the PCH that was closed due to the storms so we couldn't drive the whole way down but we still saw plenty. 

We started the day with breakfast at the Old Monterey Cafe



Our first stop was the Garrapata Bluff Trail.. we hiked up Soberano Trail first then went down a flight of stairs to access the Garrapata Beach.




The waves were insane here.. we didn't let the kids do anymore than get their feet wet. But there is just something about the crashing waves... you can watch them all day.


The iconic Bixby Bridge. It is a reinforced concrete open-spandrel arch bridge and one of the most photographed bridges in California. It was really stunning. When it was completed in 1932, it was the highest single-span arch bridge in the world, and it remains one of the tallest.




We stopped for lunch at Big Sur River Inn. This was the perfect place to stop for a break.. if not for the food which was good then for the stream.
 

We got some ice cream from the blue bus after lunch and sat in the ice cold stream while eating it. 



Then on to our final stop, Pfeiffer Beach. It is very easy to miss the turn off for this beach. They only allow a certain amount of cars at a time. The drive to the beach is long and windy.. we almost though we might be going in the wrong direction and it's a one lane road so we had to squeeze to one side multiple times in order to make enough space for other cars. But we finally got there and it was so worth it!


One of the things that makes pfeiffer beach so unique is the shade of purple in its sand, erosion of the cliffs above, which contain Manganese garnet rocks is the reason for this phenomenon. 



The beach had cool rock formations and the water was calm enough for the boys to have some fun. 

That evening when we got back to the hotel we were wiped so got cleaned up.. soaked in the hotel hot tub for a bit and then ordered thai take out. 


The next day we headed to Carmel by the Sea. It was a chilly morning. We head breakfast at From Scratch located in the Barnyard area.


Afterwards we headed to the central Carmel area. You want to aim for Ocean Ave and between 6th and 7th street. 


We luckily were there when the farmer's market was open. I had never seen this many different types of mushrooms!


and then we wandered around. This was by far the cutest town we have ever been to. 



and then we visited the secret garden leading to the Pilgrim Way Community Bookstore.. this is a must see but you have make sure you enter from the secret garden.. it makes the whole experience so much more magical. I made a reel here.


We poked our heads into some galleries and cute shops. There were so many options. 


After spending a few hours exploring Carmel we headed back to Monterey to explore it's downtown area. 






We walked down to the wharf and an insane amount of seals. We weren't really hungry enough for lunch so we stopped to get some nachos at Nacho Bizness



They were ridiculously good. The place had great art up on the walls and the US Open on the tv which gave all of us some time to relax. 


Across the street was an old fashioned arcade.. it was hard to pass up. The kids played, we drank our coffee, I read and M caught up on his overflowing inbox.



A quick refresh at the hotel and then we headed out to explore Cannery Row in Monterey. First inhabited by Native Americans, then settled by the Spanish, it later became home to many Chinese, Italian, Portuguese and Japanese immigrants. The very first cannery, the American Tin Cannery was developed in 1927.You can read more about it here Did you know Steinbeck wrote a book called Cannery Row? Just added it to my audio book list. I have only read one Steinbeck.. East of Eden and while it was a long time ago I remember liking it. 

Today there are no more canneries and the row is much more touristy and also home to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. 



Our first stop was the antique mall.. I wish we would have gotten a better opportunity to explore but we were there no more than five minutes when they called closing time.
 


We also discovered this really cool candle store.. the website is here if you want to check them out. The outer core doesn't burn so you don't have to worry about the design melting away. We spent a long time debating on which candle to buy.. everyone had an opinion. 


We had dinner at Lala's. It was not good. But it had a great view of the water, a girl was having a photoshoot for her quinceanera down on the beach, a dog dove into the water fishing out balls his owner threw and we spied two fishermen one on the rocky shore and another in the water. It was a lovely sight. 


We ended the day with a ice cream sundae from Ghirardelli's.  

Next we wrap up our California adventure with our final stop, San Francisco. 





            Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6


Comments

  1. I would love to have a farmers market like that with all of those different types of mushrooms. Awesome. The Secret Garden looks so magical and those nachos...they look delicious. I have read Cannery Row many years ago, I think you would enjoy it. So which candle did you choose? I've seen candles like that at a shop in SW Florida. They're really cool. I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to see and do in that area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monterey is such a magical place - we've done some fun hikes there! I'm glad y'all had a good trip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this part of the California coast and you’ve been able to capture all it’s natural beauty. Lovely photos Hena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your boys will have a great appreciation for the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11/13/2023

    Big Sur is now on my list to visit.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did so much in just two days! Great photos, though my heart raced a little looking at that bridge. I would have enjoyed examining those animal skulls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe how much your packed in to those two days!
    Big Sur looks absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing those amazing photos Hena! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monterey is so amazing. It's so beautiful up there. (Although, the absolute cutest town is way more south--Solvang.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely photos and that bookstore sounds magical!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely family, lovely photos, a lovely trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice photos that made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  13. I nearly missed that harbor seal on the rocks and I can not get over the number of cormorants on that rock. Sounds like another fun couple (and delicious!!) couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really make the most of your trips - which is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures. What a great trip. That food looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you guys had a marvelous adventure in Big Sur!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11/13/2023

    You've shared some great photographs here, special memories from your trip.
    The Bixby Bridge is amazing.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful! What an amazing place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh! Looked like a great trip....spectacular scenery with all those delicious food! Aaaaaaah....I wanna go to that beach:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You guys go on such great trips. I love that you share the food too, that's always our highlight every where we go, LOL.
    And those mushrooms. That's incredible. We are just starting to try to eat them more because they are so good for us.
    XOOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Steinbeck territory! That's the inspiration behind my blog name. My absolute favorite is the novel "Of Mice and Men" by the same author.
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane, Hena.
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks like a great place to explore! :)

    xoxo, rae
    raellarina.com
    INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such great memories your children will have!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing pictures- what cool adventures you went on- from outdoor/ nature- y to fun city places, you guys did so much. I am partial to eating ice cream IN the stream. How amazing was that? I love it. Thanks for sharing all this info and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I especially love the views of those crashing waves. Whew. I would be scared to get too close.

    The candles are very cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing all those great photos of your amazing trip! The sights and foods look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It all looks so charming and delicious. I could eat pancakes every meal. Then I'd weigh 250, though. I remember seeing that Bixby Bridge in movies from the '60s!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! I know Big Sur from the song by The Thrills and Cannery Row from lots of American literature so it's lovely to see them in real life! Fab photos, the seals are so cute! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your vacations are the best! Beautiful scenery, the pictures of your smiles makes my day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, what a wonderful vacation with the family. I love CA and you make me want to go back for another visit as I was there 2 years ago. I love Big Sur, Carmel, and San Francisco. I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful scenery and great looking food.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A mere image of that bridge would have made my late mother's palm sweat. lol Thank you for another delightful post. My then boyfriend and I visited San Francisco in 1988, so I look forward to checking out your post. :) Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  33. We love visiting Big Sur! It's SO beautiful with so many pretty places to look at!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful family trip! When I was a teenager, my family and I drove around the Big Sur as well. Lots of great memories like yours!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. It looks like a grand time, Hena. I remember being on that bridge -- I was scared stiff! What a great couple of days, by the water.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have a healthy fear of bridges but even I can admit those are stunning (and scary) photos. And those pictures of all the natural spaces y'all found makes me want to affirm my love for this planet.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow you sure did have a lot of interesting things to see for sure. That bridge is impressive, I hate going over bridges though. Those waves were cool but I am sure the boys enjoyed being able to play more at the other beach. Such fun adventures for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazing place and such a gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow your travel is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. When you were talking about Big Sur, I wondered if you made your way to Carmel, one of the most beautiful spots in California.....and you did! You took some wonderful and memorable photos. The kids looked like they had a great time, and it's nice they stopped for awhile at the beach to play and rest. All the food looks delicious, and those nachos look amazing. Now, I'm wondering what candle you chose? Very cool candles for sure. Looking forward to your adventure in San Francisco, which I've been to many times. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  41. very interesting views with nice foods....
    Thank you for sharing beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  42. You do traveling right, see lots of stuff, do lots of things, experience and eat very well. My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon in Monterrey at Carmel by the Sea. We would love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What great scenic landscape! It's been too long since I was on the West Coast. Might need to make that my next priority!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your post was fantastic! Your perspective is valuable. I encourage you to continue writing.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I've always wanted to go the Big Sur. Thanks for taking me on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  47. It looks absolutely amazing! I just love your photos and the food looks amazing .https://www.bauchlefashion.com/2023/11/why-real-real-is-number-one-place-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow, it looks absolutely amazing! Thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoy my photos and think the food looks amazing.

    NEW POST: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/12/first-snow-in-glasgow-2023.html

    ReplyDelete
  49. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of your gorgeous photos of Big Sur. This is one stretch of the California coast that I have not really seen. I especially loved your Bixby Bridge photos. I know I have seen this bridge in more than one movie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography