48 Hours in San Francisco

When we left Monterey, we first made a stop at M's uncle's house. We hadn't met them in several years and spent the day with them. It was a great time catching up and boy does his aunt know how to cook. Yum!

The next morning we were off to San Francisco. We were issued many warnings about the current state of San Francisco. The homelessness is on an all time high as is the opioid epidemic. We were told to be very careful. Car theft and break ins were also a concern so don't leave anything in your car, we were told numerous times. We had seen a lot of homelessness in San Diego as well.. and while it is awful being close to New York it was not something we had not seen before. But we made sure to take precautions. 

We stayed at the Hyatt in the Union Square area. Which was the perfect location because it was within walking or trolley distance of everything we wanted to do on our first day. No car needed. 

First stop Chinatown. San Francisco's Chinatown is the oldest in North America and one of the largest Chinese enclaves outside Asia. It was established in the 1850's. There are two hospitals, several parks and squares, numerous churches as well as a post office located within the area. It is covers approximately 24 square blocks with a population of about 35000 people.



I really really wanted to try dim sum. Had never had it before.. I wanted to have an authentic experience, not an Americanized one but was also nervous became as Muslims we have certain dietary constraints. While we are not very strict about only eating only halal, we do not absolutely under any circumstances consume pork or alcohol and the fam is not big on seafood. So choices were limited. We tried our luck at Hang Ah Tea Room. It opened in 1920 as the U.S.'s first dim sum parlor.


We ordered many many plates of the veggie dumplings and lamb dumplings. They were so flavorful and juicy and we also order a side of garlicky bok choy.. oh boy was it good. We didn't order any tea. This place was as authentic as it gets. 



Next we stopped at the Great Eastern Bakery to try a moon cake. They didn't even let us go inside. An old man stood outside taking orders while an old lady stood inside passing him the orders. The moon cake while good, was a little too rich and heavy for us.


Afterwards we hit up the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory. They handed out pre folded fortune cookies to the people standing in line.. and there was a line. When we went inside the space could barely fit 10 people.. so it was a bit of blur.. go inside.. see them make the fortune cookies, buy what you want and get out. 


We bought a bag of the pre folded fortune cookies to use as wafers with our ice cream. Didn't get a chance to take pictures or make a video but I found this one on youtube for those interested. They make 10,000 fortune cookies per day. 

We loved Chinatown and my kids loved the dumplings so much I bought some soup dumplings from Trader Joe's to tide them over till we can go to a real dumpling spot. 

Next we walked over the the Ferry Building. The kids got some ice cream.. we got some coffee and then we took a break in a nearby park for a bit. 

When we near the end of such a long trip our desire to take and pose for pictures greatly reduces.. lol.


Then we walked the Embarcadero and explored the Fisherman's Wharf. None of it was all that interesting and all of it was very touristy. 

We started to make our long walk back to the hotel area. We were hoping to hop on a trolley but they were always too full.. many didn't even stop. We walked through Little Italy.. the architecture in San Francisco is beautiful... 


We ended up stopping at Flour and Water for some pizza. They were very good. The restaurant had a waiter service area and a self serve area. The waiter service area was full so we went with self serve.. we didn't care as long we got some food. 

The second day. We checked out and left all our belongings with the hotel before heading out in our car. We had so far not seen any homelessness or felt unsafe. Not that I am saying homeless people are dangerous. 


First stop Lombard Street. While yes it is a very cool looking street it was over run with people, there was a line just to drive down it and I feel bad for the people who actually live here. Couldn't get a good picture so I have borrowed one from the internet. Afterwards we grabbed some breakfast at Cracked and Battered. 


Afterwards we went to the Palace of Fine Arts. The Palace of Fine Arts is a monumental structure located in the Marina District of San Francisco, originally built for the 1915 Panama–Pacific International Exposition to exhibit works of art.

This was a beautiful place.. we walked around the area and enjoyed the bird life and architecture. Then we were off to Presidio Park. The Presidio is a 1,491-acre park that's part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. It is also a great place to see the Golden Gate bridge. 




I am really doing a poor job with the pictures now.. this was a great park. We could have spent the entire day exploring but as it was our last day we were short on time. The Tunnel Top Park area was brilliant.. it was a massive playground along with several interactive play areas.. it was little kid heaven. 

The fog was rolling in so we didn't get any good pictures of the bridge. We stopped at the visitor center which gets you pretty close to the bridge but M had to drive around looking for parking while we waited for the fog to pass. It didn't. 


We got back into the car.. M never found parking and headed towards Haight Ashbury, birthplace of the 1960s counterculture movement. It was a cool neighborhood.. we had lunch at Cha Cha Cha, a caribbean restaurant and then went off exploring.
 


Of course we had to stop at a bookstore. The area had so many thrift store and fun shops. 


We had two more stops we wanted to make before we had to go to the airport.. first Mission District. This I admit was a more sketchy area. Many of the shops were closed or boarded up so we quickly hit Clairon Alley to see all the amazing murals and then moved on.



The murals were incredible. Mostly political themed. You can learn more about the mural projects here


Our final stop was to Almo Park to see the Painted Ladies. It is supposed to be the location where Full House house exterior shots were filmed. Once again I feel bad for the people who lived there because there were so many people getting super close and taking pictures. We stayed up on the hill and observed from afar. My kids who have never heard of Full House didn't care much and to me it was less about the show and more about the beauty of these homes. The stunning craftsmanship.. they were even prettier ones in the area. They sure don't make them like this anymore. The above picture is a stock picture.. it's better than the ones I got with people swarming everywhere. 

We headed back to the hotel afterwards to pick up our things and head to the airport. It was such a wonderful trip. California is beautiful. We especially enjoyed our time in San Francisco. I feel like I have been posting about this trip for months.. which I think I have so thanks for coming along with us on our little adventure. 

SIDE NOTE - While we had a wonderful time in the city and saw no trouble we later heard of a friend who was also in SF around the same time. They had all their luggage in their car when it was broken into and everything except a large checked bag was stolen. They had to spend their vacation time filing police reports. Thankfully and surprisingly much of it was recovered. So I'd just say take precautions, be smart when you travel and don't keep all your luggage in your car but that doesn't mean you should be afraid to visit big supposedly 'scary' cities because more often than not you are perfectly safe.



      
 Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6

Comments

  1. Yummy!! That bok choy looks so delicious!! I love how despite the warnings, you still found so much to enjoy in this city :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos of you and your gorgeous family.
    I've wanted to visit San Francisco for ever. Jon played the Fillmore several times back in his band days. I've currently got Tales of the City on my bedside table to reread. Funnily enough I was chatting to a couple of very well traveled women from Alabama when I was last in Greece and they were telling me about the terrible drug/homelessness crisis in California. We've got plenty of problems here, too so although it's heartbreaking it wouldn't put me off going anywhere.
    The Palace of Fine Arts and Lombard Street look lovely.
    I'd love to go to Haight Astbury and the Mission District looks right up my street, edgy and not touristy! Did you visit Pacific heights? I've wanted to go there since 1990 after watching the film.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fog on the bridge. Lovely photos and I do like how you write about where you are or have been. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dim Sum!! I haven't eaten it forever with my dietary restrictions though.

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you had a good safe trip there, yes many places you can go and be just fine, but if you are that one unlucky person it makes for a bad experience. We live in Illinois just outside of St. Louis Mo and have had our run ins that we thankfully got out of but living here you hear of so much that goes on it doesn't make you so excited about going over, and sadly it is pouring over here.
    Sounds like you hit all the fun places to see and tried some good food, always fun to see and try new things while on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would enjoy seeing the murals and the painted houses. (for their beauty, not the connection to the show, which use to get on my nerves when the kids would watch it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You hit all the sites and ate all the food. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve been to San Francisco several times and you’ve really captured the beauty of the area. It’s sad to see so many more homeless in many cities since COVID and the financial impact of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a non-city person, I get anxiety just looking at your pictures! I will get my city fix living vicariously through you. Glad you made it in and out without incident and had a good time from the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your family sure knows how to have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've made San Francisco look even more magical. Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful city and too bad its reputation has been besmirched by so much trouble. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe each boy grew one inch or more on this trip!! They look older :) You take such lovely photos and help me see the world from my sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  14. San Francisco is a beauty for sure. Great photos, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you definitely made the most of your visit to San Francisco!
    Those Dim Sum look absolutely delicious. The murals are incredible, and I could probably have browsed for hours in that bookstore and vintage clothing store! I'm glad to hear you had a safe trip and shudder to think of your friend's predicament! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like that you all had a great time in SF...I miss dimsum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like another delicious day! I find that my family is less inclined to pose for photos as our trips wear on too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That reminds me of our travel to San Francisco in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos not a place I have ever visited and not a place I will get to visit in my lifetime I like the sound of your visit to San Francisco

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's not suprprising you found the mooncake to be heavy. They are very dense and can be upwards of 1000 calories each depending on the ingredients. When we used to eat them we would cut them up into 12 pieces and have one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the picture of the fog and the GG bridge. Iconic! I´m glad that you got to eat dim sum with your dietary restrictions. It looks like you had numerous authentic dining experiences. Glad that you and your belongings remained safe. I was super concerned about going to NYC. Before my daughter and I went to the city, we looked up information about crime and were surprised that many smaller cities had higher crime rates in many categories than NYC. I´ve seen videos of homeless camps in Los Angeles. It looks like you´re in a third world country. So sad! Your trip looks amazing! You guys packed in so much- you do travel right!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed this series. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incredible beautiful decoration doors, for to come inside this chinese restaurant área. It brings, I think, an special atmosphere to this nice and wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Many thanks for sharing your travels and lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great pics. I love San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh! So sorry to read about your friend's stuff being stolen, but that's good that most were recovered.
    And that shot of the bridge with that fog is so SF! :D I've always wanted to visit...maybe someday....thanks for sharing your adventures as always, Hena!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved the pictures and the food sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fog in San Francisco? Who'da thunk it? I think your pics of the Golden Gate Bridge are pretty typical considering the usual weather there. I haven't been in decades. I'm not surprised it's gotten very touristy. It sounds like it was tiring but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm glad nothing bad happened to you.
    I thought they stopped allowing people to drive down Lombard street? My aunt used to live in San Francisco, and that was such a fun activity.
    XOOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so lovely and lots of nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great city and fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Okay now I am hungry! The food looks so good! That is such a plus side of being in a big city, so many choices. Glad the kids found stuff they liked, too. I have always wanted to go to San Francisco- admittedly, originally because of Full House 😂 But I have read a lot of books set there, especially in Chinatown, actually, that it has become a very appealing historical trip goal for me. I agree about the Painted Ladies- they are stunning, but I also feel so bad for the people who live there and just want to enjoy their fancy homes in peace (honestly, I'd sell it and then never work again heh). So glad you did not have the same experience as the poor robbery victims, how awful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely photos! It looks like you had a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the book store!
    Well done finding a restaurant with your restrictions.
    I am not a happy traveller, happy to see your photos, though!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous11/20/2023

    Those dumplings look so delicious and the Painted Ladies are beautiful!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful photos, Hena.
    I love San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I loved being able to follow along with you as you explored San Francisco. The veggie dumplings and dumplings both looks so amazing... and I definitely want to check out the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory next time I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've been only once, and enjoyed our trip so much!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  39. My daughter has been to San Francisco and I've always wanted to go. Your family trip looked wonderful. How fun to try Dim Sum for the first time in the original restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love San Francisco! Chinatown has the best food and I remember having the best meal there. So many wonderful sights!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I enjoyed your trip to San Francisco. The painted houses are so pretty, but it cannot be fun to live in such a tourist attraction! The bok choy looked luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I enjoyed looking at your photos of your trip to San Francisco and hearing about your trip. It's one of my favorite spots in CA. Thanks for taking us along with you. I hope you enjoy the rest of the week and have a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It looks that you had a wonderful time in San Francisco. Amazing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  44. So much to see in your photos, all wonderful and very nice for me to do a little traveling through your camera. It has been several years since I was in San Francisco. Very smart to be aware of our surroundings, anywhere for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful photos! It looks like you and your family had a wonderful time in San Francisco! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is amazing If I have 48 hours in such a place, I'd love to roam around as well.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The Pics are so nice, thank you for Sharing. The Food looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  48. The paintings and the painted houses are both something that I would love viewing.

    You are welcome to read my most recent post.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I adore SF, and your pictures are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh great photos darling
    Looks like tons of fun

    ReplyDelete
  51. San Francisco was a spot that was always on my bucket list and we finally visited about ten years ago. Beautiful city. But the homeless who lived in tents in the park there---it broke my heart. Lots of children. Thank you for sharing your wonderful visit with us. The Painted Ladies will be something I'll look for on my next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  52. this looks and sounds like a wonderful trip. a short one but it seems you got in all the things!! the food looks wonderful and so do those boys!! i have been to ca. but never to san fran!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I'm glad you had such a safe trip. I love the painted ladies and the Lombard street.

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a whirlwind 48 hours! I love that you guys got to see some of the big sights, but it's a bummer they were so overrun with people (and I agree- I def feel bad for the people who live there, because that's their life).

    Thanks for sharing!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  55. I'm glad your time in SF was safe and uneventful in any kind of bad way. You sure did lots of fun activities. I've been there before but not for years. The homeless issues weren't so bad then.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Your post hit home for me, as San Francisco is only a couple hours from my hometown and have visited many times. I actually have a picture of the palace of fine arts. What a wonderful time you had! That is a cool photo of the bridge with the fog hovering over it. The "decades fashion" sign is neat. I like the fact that you stop at the bookstores on your trips also. That's a good place to take the kids. The pizzas looks so Yummy. I'm glad you got a chance to see the real San Francisco. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  57. My daughter lived in downtown San Francisco eight years ago, and while the homeless was bad then I think it's worse now. Still, it's a gorgeous place, full of history! Love Golden Gate Park. So many things to do in their with its museums and gardens. It's so beautiful. The San Francisco zoo is also top-notch. We enjoy Lombard street as well. City Hall is another must see. I need to check out that thrift store! Glad to hear you had a nice, safe trip. Yes, precautious are a must here. Traveling anywhere, really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. It looks like you had an amazing time in San Francisco. I love eating in China town .
    Julia x
    https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography