Family Time in Karachi

After 6 years we finally made a trip back home! We were planning to go three years ago but remember that little things called Covid, yup we were in lockdown that year and had to cancel everything. By home I mean Karachi, Pakistan. While I didn't call Pakistan my home until I was 10 when my dad uprooted us from our life in Chicago and decided to move back. In fact I'm pretty sure I still didn't call it home for several years finding it difficult to fit in and adjust to such a drastic change. But I am so happy that my dad did what he did, I was able to get the best of both worlds. M on the other had was born and raised in Karachi, work took him outside the country for the first time and from London to Singapore he finally landed in America. 

While Pakistan is a beautiful country it is many other third world nations, plagued with corruption, stuck under the foot of first world nations like America who uses it as a pawn against Afghanistan, China and Russia and Britain who continues to provide safe haven to these corrupt politicians saving them from persecution. And unfortunately Karachi (the financial hub of Pakistan) gets the short end of the stick plagued with a long line of politicians wanting nothing more than to line their own pockets and continue to let the city crumble and it's citizens suffer.  

So it is always a little sad going back and seeing that not only has nothing changed but things may have even gotten worse for your beloved city.

Before I dive into the fun Karachi pictures I wanted to take the time to bring attention to the intense flooding that has devastated much of the country in these past weeks. It is not getting enough media coverage because well who cares about these third world countries full of brown people right.. on top of that muslims..!
But here are some facts 1400 dead, 3,641 injured, 636,940 displaced, 33 million people affected. You can read more about it here Global warming is real and it is affecting us now and we need to take it seriously.

Okay now to the fun stuff.. 

As I said above.. we hadn't been back in six years and this was then


and this is now


Before we left I was a little worried about getting a stomach bug while there.. the last time the boys were there they were both sick the whole time. So a week before we left I had the kids start taking vitamin c, elderberry and probiotic supplements just to give their tummies a little extra protection. And we bought these amazing Brita Filter Water Bottles. Tap water is not safe to drink in Pakistan and while everyone drinks filtered water we wanted to be a little extra careful.

While there we stayed at my parents home, my brother, sister in law and three children also live there.. can you imagine the energy in that apartment?





M also has a sister who lives there with her three children.




 and then we spent time with friends.. 


this above one is of friends, spouses and children.. many were missing living in different countries but the ones we were able to spend time with.. I will cherish these memories. Till we all meet again.



We also shopped..I bought a bunch of traditional outfits.. M got some clothes custom stitched.. thanks to the conversation $ rates things were very very affordable. 

And ate.. though I must say I really failed at the food pictures. Argh.

Oh and how can I forget... my mother has a parrot and H was such a natural with him. 


Six years ago


Now

It was a great trip.. busy but we had wanted it that way.. we had wanted our days filled with loved ones, food and shopping and it was just that. Thanks for the memories Karachi. 

       
                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter            

Comments

  1. I'm so happy to see that you go home after six years. It is amazing to be back with your family and friends. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all this with us, Hena! (both the good and the bad) Hopefully your next trip back will be sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for commenting on my blog so I could find yours. I have heard of the floods only because I work/am friends with a number of people from Pakistan. You are correct that the US is known to only report on what suits there narrative on any given day.
    I am so glad you were able to visit your family and friends. 6 years was a long time to be away from them. Your family is beautiful.
    I look forward to following your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those floods ARE making the news here. The coverage is much less than the death of Queen Elizabeth II though. My heart breaks for the death and destruction your countrymen and women are enduring. I have contributed through Medecins Sans Frontieres.
    I am so glad that you finally got to go home - and had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids look like they are having so much fun together. It's wonderful that you got to see your family again. That parrot reminds me of the green little parrot I had as a child. Glad you got to do some shopping too - that's always fun. And a great family photo til you meet them again. Thanks for sharing your life in Pakistan with us. I'm so sorry to hear of the flooding that is happening right now, and all the people who have died and are injured. That was smart of you to give the kids vitamin supplements before taking a long trip.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps.....yes, close to all my brother-in-laws. There are six of them, and he is one of my favorites. ; ) The other one I connected to passed away when he was in his 30's. But they are all characters and get along with them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful this family reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful to go home to see family and friends. Your boys seem to have a good time and so did you~ It's sad to hear of the problems and yes men in charge don't seem to care. It makes me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure all your family and friends were thrilled to see you again after 6 years! The kids look like they were having a good time with their peers. And oh my, do I see a parrot in YOUR future too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Family and friends in a place with great memories! Love seeing the kids together. Aren’t they an energetic bunch! What a great way to keep the kids in touch with their heritage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you all were able to go back and had a great time! It's always fun catching up with family and friends that you haven't seen in forever! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so wonderful you were able to get back and see so many people.
    It is a shame about the corruption. I just HATE that about politics and power.
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know it is mind blowing all that is happening. Have you ever heard of the book Confessions of an Economic Hitman? Quite eye opening indeed. Global warming is no joke, it is BAD. I feel bad for people with children. The future is going to be really ugly sad to say. I have not had children and I am not doing anything to prolong my time on this planet. In addition to global warming, the rise of AI and how %40 of jobs are going to be lost world wide in the next 9 years. There is also the issue of population control of lack there of. There are two many people on the planet this is going to be a big problem in the not too distant future. It is not sustainable. I am truly afraid for the future.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you were finally able to go back and visit! It looks like a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so awesome your whole family was able to visit:) Awesome pictures... such great memories created for sure.:)
    PS Those Brita bottles are a life-saver for travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful you were able to get back and reconnect with family and friends.

    Happy Tuesday, Hena.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful family reunion dear! Wonderful Post! Have a great day!
    Rampdiary | Fineartandyou | Beautyandfashionfreaks 

    ReplyDelete
  19. It must have been kind of bittersweet to go back and see that nothing much had changed. And then your country had to suffer those devastating floods as well.
    Still, I'm glad you guys were finally able to get back and had some fun times regardless! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seems the kids had a great time along with you. Good to see happy faces.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for reminding us of the devastation that Pakistan is facing. I am so glad that you got to go back home and share where you lived with your children. These photos are wonderful!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad you got to go and had a wonderful time!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous9/20/2022

    Reports, film and photos of the flooding are all over the news. We get frequent updates as well.

    Some people persist in thinking that all Americans are the same. The average citizen (including most of us in Texas) has no beef with other people on this planet. We do not believe the propaganda spouted to divide and spark hatred. Divide and conquer still works.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad you got to go home and see family and friends with your family. Corruption and politics make me see red.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous9/20/2022

    Perhaps you are prejudiced in assuming no one cares about people they don't even know. This is from the NYT. The photos are mesmerizing but also show how resilient people are even in the middle of a disaster. The BBC News, NPR, and local news outlets and reporters have the world covered.

    "An inundated home in Sindh Province, Pakistan. Floods have killed more than 1,500 across the country." Credit...Asif Hassan/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

    Raymond Zhong
    By Raymond Zhong
    Sept. 15, 2022

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so glad you were able to go home and see family! That was too long of a time to be without them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How neat to have lived in so many different countries and to make it back home. I am sorry to hear about the floods. That huge family/friends photo is so great. I am glad you were able to have such a nice time home and avoided any tummy issues this time!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. The flooding situation in Pakistan is terrible and even worse that innocent citizens suffer because of political corruption. Sadly that corruption is everywhere. It's just covered up better in certain countries. That said, it's wonderful that you were able to go back and visit your family there with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This kind of post makes you smile. And on top of it gives such warm inspiration. Thank you for sharing this.
    https://www.bauchlefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. So glad you guys were able to get back! I can't imagine how hard it is to see that things haven't changed, though- and the floods! Absolutely devastating. I'm glad your friends and family are all okay!

    -Ashley
    https://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so glad that you were finally able to make the trip home. It looks like your boys had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so glad that you were finally able to make the trip back home. It looks like your boys had a great time and made some wonderful memories with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looked like an amazing trip back home. I'm glad you all finally got to go! Seeing family and friends is so wonderful. I did see your IG food video. YUM!! I got that same water bottle for traveling. I love it. Seeing the kids with their cousins is so priceless!! The parrot still remembered your son?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's wonderful you were able to go and visit with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fabulous! How wonderful to catch up with family and friends after such a long time, your photos are testimony of the lovely time you've had. I hope your loved ones are safe from the floods, the satellite images that I saw in the news were showing just how awful the flooding is. I have never been to Pakistan but would love to experience it one day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography