December Reads

I ended the year with 28 book read. I was hoping to get to 30 but I was in a book funk by the end of the year and just didn't feel like reading :(


The Widow's Watcher by Eliza Maxwell

Synopsis - Living in the shadow of a decades-old crime that stole his children from him, reclusive Lars Jorgensen is an unlikely savior. But when a stranger walks onto the ice of a frozen Minnesota lake, her intentions are brutally clear, and the old man isn’t about to let her follow through.
Jenna Shaw didn’t ask for Lars’s help, nor does she want it. After he pulls her from the brink, however, Jenna finds her desire to give up challenged by their unlikely friendship. In Jenna, Lars recognizes his last chance for redemption. And in her quest to solve the mysteries of Lars’s past and bring him closure, Jenna may find the way out of her own darkness.
But the truth that waits threatens to shatter it all. When secrets are surrendered and lies are laid bare, Jenna and Lars may find that accepting the past isn’t their greatest challenge. Can they afford the heartbreaking price of forgiveness?

Thoughts - I read a lot of depressing books this year.. I'm not saying I don't like depressing books.. I am reading a real downer right now as well. The vulnerability of characters going through something traumatic are a special breed of people. Their courage inspires me. What I didn't expect was the mystery at the center of the story. What I also liked was that she didn't need to meet a man and fall in love to get through her suicidal depression. I won't call it a must read.. but I like it. 



Life and Other Inconveniences by Kristan Higgins

Synopsis - Emma London never thought she had anything in common with her grandmother Genevieve London. The regal old woman came from wealthy and bluest-blood New England stock, but that didn’t protect her from life’s cruelest blows: the disappearance of Genevieve’s young son, followed by the premature death of her husband. But Genevieve rose from those ashes of grief and built a fashion empire that was respected the world over, even when it meant neglecting her other son.
When Emma’s own mother died, her father abandoned her on his mother’s doorstep. Genevieve took Emma in and reluctantly raised her–until Emma got pregnant her senior year of high school. Genevieve kicked her out with nothing but the clothes on her back…but Emma took with her the most important London possession: the strength not just to survive but to thrive. And indeed, Emma has built a wonderful life for herself and her teenage daughter, Riley.
So what is Emma to do when Genevieve does the one thing Emma never expected of her and, after not speaking to her for nearly two decades, calls and asks for help?

Thoughts - I wasn't so sure about this book.. I am not a fan of over sentimentality. But I was surprised by this one.. there were some very laugh out loud moments and a lot of tears as well. This too had a mystery at the center, which was unexpected. But I think the mail question it put forth was 'what makes you a good mother?' You think you will be a relaxed mom.. but your lack of rules makes your child lack direction. You are strict and your child rebels against you. But on the flipside a child may thrive in structure and routine or or or.. There really is no manual. I found it an endearing reading.. a variety of three dimensional characters. 



People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry

Synopsis - Poppy and Alex. Alex and Poppy. They have nothing in common. She’s a wild child; he wears khakis. She has insatiable wanderlust; he prefers to stay home with a book. And somehow, ever since a fateful car share home from college many years ago, they are the very best of friends. For most of the year they live far apart—she’s in New York City, and he’s in their small hometown—but every summer, for a decade, they have taken one glorious week of vacation together.
Until two years ago, when they ruined everything. They haven’t spoken since.
Poppy has everything she should want, but she’s stuck in a rut. When someone asks when she was last truly happy, she knows, without a doubt, it was on that ill-fated, final trip with Alex. And so, she decides to convince her best friend to take one more vacation together—lay everything on the table, make it all right. Miraculously, he agrees.
Now she has a week to fix everything. If only she can get around the one big truth that has always stood quietly in the middle of their seemingly perfect relationship. What could possibly go wrong?

Thoughts - This book was all kinds of adorable. If you like a good rom com read it. Really. 



Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K Rowling

Synopsis - There is a door at the end of a silent corridor. And it’s haunting Harry Potter’s dreams. Why else would he be waking in the middle of the night, screaming in terror?
Harry has a lot on his mind for this, his fifth year at Hogwarts: a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher with a personality like poisoned honey; a big surprise on the Gryffindor Quidditch team; and the looming terror of the Ordinary Wizarding Level exams. But all these things pale next to the growing threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named - a threat that neither the magical government nor the authorities at Hogwarts can stop.
As the grasp of darkness tightens, Harry must discover the true depth and strength of his friends, the importance of boundless loyalty, and the shocking price of unbearable sacrifice. His fate depends on them all.

 Thoughts - 
This is the fifth and longest Harry Potter book. I love Harry Potter but this book needed some editing man.. there were chunks of descriptions I just skipped over..sshh don't tell the kids. But we still love them, love the characters and the story.. and are currently reading number six. 
      
The stack of books on my bookshelves gets taller each year... I need to read faster!



                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Bloglovin  

Comments

  1. 28 books in a year is a huge achievement!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read HP but all the others sound good.

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of books! I should track mine this year but I've been in a serious book funk lately. I have a few on hold at the library to get back into it. We'll see. I think I'm the only person who didn't like People We Meet On Vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those books sound interesting! 28 books in a year is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first Harry Potter book but got no further in the series, so yay YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your book reviews and these sound like some good ones. Your stack makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the list of books! I read the Sisters of Auschwitz which was good but it was 'heavy' even though it had a happy ending. I had to switch to something light for the next non fiction!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve a stack too. So much to look forward to…

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stack of books! I love it!!!! Your book choices sound good. Thank you for sharing. I am heading over to Amazon now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 28 books isn't bad, all things considered. I think I only managed 22 last year. And my reading pile gets taller too, as not only do I keep picking up books at the thrift shops, one of my friends tends to offload the books she's read on me. I definitely must read faster :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. My reading almost always slows down near the end of the year. This year, however, I've gotten off to a slow start!

    Several from this group look good to me. I might have to add the one by Kristan Higgins to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you on the ever growing piles of books. Mine are shamefully high. And thank you for the reviews of some of your recent reads. Sadly I think that when an author becomes well known/famous their editors are often reluctant to edit. And the books (and the readers) suffer for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like depressing books either. And sometimes you're just not feeling it. Although, perhaps when in a book funk, rereading something should count towards your book goal. Shouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you are able to get our of your reading funk and enjoy your books :) I am working on being intentional about reading my physical books this year as well. I will still do some ARC and library books and stuff...but hoping to hit my goals, and 48 is from my physical shelves...not sure what I was thinking, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That stack looks awesome, Hena! :) And that Emily Henry book sounds like a fun read. Thanks for the heads up:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had a fabulous year! Here's to a wonderful 2022 year of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to read a lot more books in a year than I do!! But, I still read 1-2 a month! I read People We Meet on Vacation not too long ago and I though it was really cute!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Twenty-eight books in a year is a goodly number. Your reviews are well written.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tend to like the positive books the best but I've read a couple of not so positive ones this year, and it's good.
    Thanks for a couple to add to my list Hena,
    OXOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. 28 books is a great achievement! I see a lot of books here that I have on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks fore sharing these! Looks like some good ones in there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some interesting reads here! Life and Other Inconveniences sounds wonderful.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. 28 books in a year! WOW!

    Happy Tuesday, Hena!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope to read more this year. Thanks for sharing these!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm impressed with how many books you read! People We Meet on Vacation has been on my library list! Need to check out these others!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  26. People We Meet on Vacation sounds so cute! I'm really into light reads no∑ since the real world is so dire.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've gone back to hard copies for books this year. I had a fun time reserving and checking out library books this month and have been on an Asian author kick. Recently I finished Sara Nisha Adam's The Reading List which is books that connect a community. It was good.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is a wonderful reading achievement! Your reviews are all interesting and I saved a few titles to look into further that I think I'd like. I am in a monthly book club and I'm always looking for good books to recommend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have that Kristan Higgins book sitting on my shelf and really need to get to it. I also 100% agree with your comments on that Harry Potter book. I love the series but that book felt way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love reading through your book recs!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations on reading 28 books this year.
    That’s good. I’m also trying to read more.
    And just like I’m currently reading the Harry Potter.
    Xx
    Margot
    https://troughthepasturesofthesky.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Any book with a dog on it is my kid of book!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You did great. We all go through reading funks, and even though I read and listen a lot my numbers have been on a steady decline. Hoping 2022 rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's a commendable number! Some of these will go on my To Read list!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That's great you read 28 books last year! :) Thanks for sharing your reading list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography