Friday Photography


Break From The Pack - A lone wild pony breaks away from his herd on the Assateague Island, to explore and graze in solitude. Assateague Island is a 37-mile long barrier island located off the eastern coast of Delmarva. The northern two-thirds of the island is in Maryland while the southern third is in Virginia. These ponies.. more commonly known as the Chincoteague Ponies, whom legend states are descendants of Spanish horses shipwrecked on their way to Peru in the 16th century.  
Every year on the last Wednesday of July is held a pony run.. also known as Pony Penning.. where the ponies swim across the channel. It takes 5-10 minutes.. Larger foals are auctioned the next day and the majority of the herd, including any young foals, are returned to Assateague on Friday. Some ponies are purchased under "buy back" conditions, where the bidder donates the money to the fire department but allows the pony to be released back onto Assateague Island. 

This print is available for purchase here

Get my post directly in you inbox with Bloglovin
I am now also offering ad space. See Sponsors for more information


Comments

  1. What an interesting and heart warming story about these ponies! And a gorgeous photograph too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea things or places like this existed still. I hope most bidders buy and give back though. I feel like these precious little gems should remain in the wild to roam as they have for so many years

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/14/2015

    Beautiful image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo! I love the lighting and the shades of green :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous photo!
    The pony penning sounds interesting. I like the idea of bidders donating to the fire department.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is pretty cool how you captured this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous photo! The pony penning story is heartwarming. I love the idea of releasing the ponies!

    WritingMonique

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that shot!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely shot, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember reading a book in.... gosh, maybe grade school!... about these ponies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love knowing the stories behind photographs — thank you for sharing such an interesting one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography