DIY DYE

As of lately I have been seeing a lot of posts on bringing new life to clothes and accessories with the magical properties of dye. And I was intrigued. But I didn't want to have the issue of accidentally dyeing my hands or my sink though I did manage to get a little of the dye on the inner drum of my dryer :( I also wanted this to be a zero cost project. I thought natural might be the way to go. So I started my search of everything I could use to dye my old white skirt.




There was a lot of mention of plants that I hadn't heard of and was in no mood to go hunting.. I thought a purplish pink might be nice but I didn't want to waste berries. And then I stumbled upon Itty Bitty Impact Tonia suggested turmeric for a bright yellow and I couldn't think of a better color and an easier source of dye. Turmeric is something always found in my kitchen, perfect for my no cost project.






Supplies:
White Vinegar - for plant dyes or salt - for berry dyes.

Turmeric

Large Pot - I used steel though Tonia mentions Aluminum is preferred.

My skirt

Rubber gloves

Method:

I washed my skirt on cold and dried it on low. Then simmered it in a large pot for one hour in a mixture of water and vinegar (four parts water to one part vinegar). The vinegar is supposed to act as a fixative.



I rinsed and wrung the fabric in cold water until it no longer smelled like vinegar and set it aside, still damp. Then rinsed out the pot and filled it with fresh water sans vinegar. The water was brought to a simmer and then I added the turmeric, about 2tbsp's. I let it continue to simmer for another 10 minutes before adding the still damp skirt.



Initially I was thinking of making the skirt ombre but that didn't happen. I think my turmeric to water ratio was a bit off.. too much turmeric plus I had a child attached to me legs. The shrieking and tugging made the rest of the process a bit fuzzy.



So I just let the entire fabric submerge in the dye bath. According to Tonia, you are supposed to let the fabric simmer for 15 minutes occasionally stirring so that the fabric doesn't stick or burn. (Now that would not be fun) and then you are to turn off the heat and let the fabric remain in the bath for as long as you like depending on the shade you want.



I could tell that my skirt was already quite bright even before the first 15 minutes were up so I went with my gut and took the skirt out within that time. Donned my rubber gloves and rinsed the skirt out in cold water till the water ran clear.



Tossed the skirt in the dryer and tada!




This little project was done a few days before we left for our trip.. this is me in Richmond.

I know my blogging has been all over the place.. timeline wise. I have so much going on and so many posts to be but not enough time to write them. So the road trip I took in the end of May still hasn't been completely blogged about but then are other interesting projects or events taking place that I wan't to share too.. so things may not be very chronological at present and I apologize. I intended to get back into the road trip post next week but D's birthday in this weekend and how can I not share pics of the big day? And by popular request I also plan on remaking my banana walnut stuffed french toast over the weekend and take pictures to add to go along with the recipe I intend to share.. too much going on and not enough of me to go around. But the fact that you keep coming back to read and leave the loveliest comments makes it all worth it in the end. And for those of you not commenting.. please.. do.. I cherish each and every one of them.

Comments

  1. Wow! The color turned out amazing! I'm really impressed. I've always been scared to trying dying myself... well.. unless it was tie dye :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great DIY! love how it turned out!

    xoxo,

    Fashion Fractions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!
    And I'm with Kat, I'd be scared to death at doing that.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I happened to visit your blog and I really liked it. Enjoyed reading all your wonderful posts :) Please visit my blog as well http://trimmingsandlace.blogspot.com/. It’s a personal style blog. If it interests, please feel free to follow me. I shall be happy to do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn it I just threw away a couple pairs of old white shorts I could have dyed!!

    Dyed and Gone to Heaven,

    April Mae

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing! I've considered using natural dyes but was never sure they worked well, but yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is seriously amazing and it turned out perfectly too. You make this look too easy LOL I don't think my attempt would turn out anywhere near as good as yours did, but thank you for sharing, I'll definitely file this!

    Have a lovely day
    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You'd be surprised at just how easy it was..

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! Love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, what an awesome DIY! I LOVE the bright yellow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I love the beautiful colour you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is just amazing! I love the colour - I didn't expect it to be such a nice bright yellow but it looks really good on you! I wish that I could pull that colour off too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Mary, I too was surprised by it's brightness.. happy to hear that I am in fact 'pulling it off' :)

      Delete
  12. wow, look at that! looks like a completely new piece!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cool! I love to use dye, but have never tried natural dyes. Turmeric sounds like a great idea (I am with you on not wasting berries!), and the color is so gorgeous! I am going to have to try this! As for blogging about a lot of different things, I definitely know where you are coming from, but I encourage you to keep doing what is right for you and writing about what you most feel like writing about. Everything is pertinent because everything is a part of your life, and we are all here because we love getting to share it with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that.. it makes blogging and sharing a lot more fun knowing that there are people out the reading and interested.

      Delete
  14. Interesting post! I have been seeing a lot of diy projects lately and they're all interesting, especially when it has to do with dye. I like your blog! And thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I am glad you enjoyed all the links I had and pictures. =) Have a lovely day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is really awesome

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so nice and bright! Perfect for summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This has me wanting to dye some fabric now. I love the idea of using natural dyes. I don't think I could sacrifice berries to create dye either... they are too good to eat! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I had no idea you could get a shade as bright and vibrant as that using turmeric. And don't apologise about anything! Do it your way, anything goes!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way this turned out! So vibrant!

    ♥Sarah♥
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful!!! I'm so excited you gave the tumeric a try and it looks like it worked great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10/11/2013

    I love this! I'd been thinking of doing some dyeing with elderberries (although I get what you mean about not wanting to waste them), but now you've made me want to try tumeric too! Can you wash it like normal clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cornel Vermeulen10/17/2018

    I must say NEVER have I had a more rewarding outcome that this TUMERIC dye!! My sons yellow pants had stains on from stain remover, and thought I have noting to loose, as he can not wear the pants as they are. I was super surprised and over the moon about the outcome, thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography