South Asian Voices

Don't worry, I have many many more travel post lined up but I have also been reading and don't want to let me book posts fall behind.

I have read more than just these two but I wanted today to only talk about these two books. Both are written by desi's (a term for those from the sub continent - India, Pakistan and Bangladesh) I usually stay away from South Asian voices. Why? I don't know.. I feel too conflicted or lack connection with those storylines. But then I picked up two. All That Rage I had wanted to read and The Reading List had been sitting on my bookshelf being ignored. 


The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams
       
Synopsis - Widower Mukesh lives a quiet life in the London Borough of Ealing after losing his beloved wife. He shops every Wednesday, goes to Temple, and worries about his granddaughter, Priya, who hides in her room reading while he spends his evenings watching nature documentaries.
Aleisha is a bright but anxious teenager working at the local library for the summer when she discovers a crumpled-up piece of paper in the back of To Kill a Mockingbird. It’s a list of novels that she’s never heard of before. Intrigued, and a little bored with her slow job at the checkout desk, she impulsively decides to read every book on the list, one after the other. As each story gives up its magic, the books transport Aleisha from the painful realities she’s facing at home.
When Mukesh arrives at the library, desperate to forge a connection with his bookworm granddaughter, Aleisha passes along the reading list… hoping that it will be a lifeline for him too. Slowly, the shared books create a connection between two lonely souls, as fiction helps them escape their grief and everyday troubles and find joy again.

Thoughts - I picked this one up because who doesn't like a book about books bringing people together. And then it seemed like it would be a slow read so I just left it on the bookshelf. Once I started reading it, it was still a slow start and I wasn't sure If I was going to like it. But it was mainly Mukesh who won me over. Coming from a desi household I could see so many similarities, the way his daughters hovered, babied and criticized.. I could see the love they had but how wrong they were in the way they showed it. I could see it because we as a culture do that. Unlike here where old people still go about living their lives independently (until sickness or disability hits) our elderly live their lives as dependents waiting for sickness (something I do not agree with) I felt for Aleisha, mental illness is a real disease and so many people go through life without seeing a doctor, without seeking treatment. Not taking mental health seriously not only affects the sick but infects everyone around them. This is the case with Aleisha and her family. And the books, lets not forget about the books. I loved the way each book connected with every character who read them in a different way, taught them something about themselves. It was a really wonderful book. There are some mental health and death triggers. I stopped so many times while reading this book to share bits and pieces with M. It was a really wonderful book. 


All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir
       
Synopsis - Lahore, Pakistan. Then. Misbah is a dreamer and storyteller, newly married to Toufiq in an arranged match. After their young life is shaken by tragedy, they come to the United States and open the Clouds' Rest Inn Motel, hoping for a new start.
Juniper, California. Now.
Salahudin and Noor are more than best friends; they are family. Growing up as outcasts in the small desert town of Juniper, California, they understand each other the way no one else does. Until The Fight, which destroys their bond with the swift fury of a star exploding.
Now, Sal scrambles to run the family motel as his mother Misbah's health fails and his grieving father loses himself to alcoholism. Noor, meanwhile, walks a harrowing tightrope: working at her wrathful uncle's liquor store while hiding the fact that she's applying to college so she can escape him--and Juniper--forever.
When Sal's attempts to save the motel spiral out of control, he and Noor must ask themselves what friendship is worth--and what it takes to defeat the monsters in their pasts and the ones in their midst.

Thoughts - While The Reading List was heartwarming even in the sad parts. This one enraged me. It was the complete opposite of the first book. While the first book was about everyone coming together this one had everyone tearing each other apart. Misbah and Toufiq came to America to live the American dream. There migrant story reminded me of my parents. Coming to America with similar dreams. While our characters own a motel my parents owned a corner mom and pop store. They are living a difficult life. And like so many first gen kids Salahuddin makes it his responsibility to care for his parents, care for the motel, even when he hates it he can not shake the guilt of letting everyone around him down. Noor and her uncle are stuck in a painful cycle of guilt and debt. When someone saves you do you own them for life? When you sacrifice everything for someone should them forever be indebted to you? So many difficult questions. I felt for them all. The author created these amazingly flawed characters. They were real people with trauma too great to recover from so it spilled over and infected those around them. I loved this book. I again had to stop reading so many time in order to share parts of the story with M. If you can handle difficult subject matters I would highly recommend this book. 


Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6 

Comments

  1. Both of these books sound good!

    Jennifer
    https://curatedbyjennifer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both books sound really good! I enjoy reading books set in other countries besides the US and I enjoy reading books about people who came to America from other countries. Well, I enjoy the books if they are well written with a good plot and help the reader learn something about the world and about him or herself along the way. Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both books sound so powerful! I love how you connected with the stories and shared the emotions they brought out. Your insights make me want to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought The Reading List for my mom awhile ago and she's just now started on it. The beginning has been tough for her to get through as well but I told her, it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They both sound really interesting, I'll be on the lookout! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt much like you as I began The Reading List. (I listened to the audiobook) It got off to a very slow start and I wasn't sure I was going to get into it. Then I got to know all the characters and how the books related to them. Bottom line, I loved it and recommend it to others. They just need to push through the first few chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting books but your thoughts about them breathe life into them! I will look out for these :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing them, I have so many waiting to be read...
    Have a great October,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many good books around

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing. I wish you and yours all the best, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it funny how we'll avoid certain books because of what we think they'll be like? And then you read them, and it wasn't quite what you expected? I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jodie's Touch of Style9/30/2024

    I think difficult subject matters are a great book subject because we need to see how to react better.
    XOXO
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of these sound really good. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did try reading The Reading List but found it very slow and hard to get into... maybe I shouldn't have given up on it so soon! All My Rage sounds really good. I'll have to add that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing these reads Hena!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the heads up about the Reading List! I really should read more South Asian authors. The last ones I read are The Bandit Queens (Parini Shroff) which I loved, and the poetry book of Michael Ondaatje (who's Sri Lankan Canadian). Loved his works too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like two pretty decent books. So many books out there, so little time to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on both of these books. It sounds like they would be very interesting reads. I will be adding them to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful reviews I could see myself enjoying them both.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They both sound like such compelling reads.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am not a reader as you may remember. i am sure everyone enjoys these book reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved the Reading List for much the same reasons you did. And added a couple of books to my own "to be read (or re-read)" list. I borrowed this book(on Kindle) from my library and wish I'd bought it since I can't remember the characters names -- maybe I still will purchase the Kindle version sometime! ... I haven't even heard of t he second book, but based on your review (and since I agreed with your thoughts on Reading List) I don't think I'll try too hard to find it! I enjoy reading other bloggers reviews -- I read all the time, but am rubbish at writing reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These sound taxing and informative books.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Despite having more than enough on my reading list I will track these down. Thank you. And drat you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both books sound like time well-spent reading them. I'm in the middle of a fascinating book right now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous10/01/2024

    Love your book reviews! I haven't heard of these and need to check them out.

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. These books both sound very good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both of these sound fantastic! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed them.

    Happy Wednesday, Hena!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been wanting to read The Reading List, and it's great to hear you thought it was a wonderful book! I haven't heard about All My Rage, but it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing, always appreciate your reviews. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great reviews! All My Rage is on my TBR, but I hadn't heard about The Reading List yet and it sounds great so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  32. sounds like they were two very engaging books!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sometimes I feel a disconnect from story lines from other cultures, but as I age I do find that I am becoming more intrigued by different voices/cultures/ etc from my own. Both of these books will be going on my TBR list. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Both sound like painfully good reads. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've heard such good things about All My Rage! It's been on my TBR forever; might have to see if I can get to it before the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  36. A very resourceful list Hena!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography