New Orleans Day 2 and 3

It was as if God decided to reward us for the eventful and not in a good way first day we had.. so the sun was shinning and we put away our coats and pulled on our shorts ready to enjoy the day!


We went to Red Gravy for breakfast.. while I had heard amazing things about it's food I had read a few not so good reviews about it's service.. but not many restaurants served breakfast on the weekdays.. not many that were walking distance.. and we are breakfast people.. I am so happy we decided to go here. Firstly, because it was a weekday there was no wait.. in fact no people at all when we arrived. We got great service.. and I had the most fluffiest, most delicious pecan pancakes ever! M had cannoli pancakes which were rich and delicious and they made a little kid omelete for D.



After breakfast we caught the Canal St Streetcar up to City Park. Now just because this was one of those trips where things just kept going wrong. The supposedly cute Storyland Park in City Park was closed.. on a Monday! As was just about everything else.. on a Monday.. seriously I was a bit pissed..


But we did what we do.. soldiered on. Thankfully the Besthoff Sculpture Garden was open.




Explored one of the playgrounds



and floated about on a paddle boat for a bit.. not easy to paddle a boat with a kid in your lap.


We stopped at the Morning Call.. a cafe inside City Park to give those beignets and cafe au lait another chance.. well the beignets were much better since this time they were still hot when they got to us but I stand by my earlier judgment.. cafe au lait is a sad excuse for coffee. What is even more sad that this is the only option at these cafes. You can't just get a regular cup of coffee.. so we drank our warm watery milk and we were on our way.

We wanted to hit a cemetery but luck failed us yet again and pretty much the moment we stepped foot inside the cemetery it started to rain.. like a heavy downpour. Our umbrella's were useless.. and we scampered back to the street car which was thankfully just across the street and head back to the hotel. 


We left the hotel again for dinner at the Olde Nola Cookery.. very good.. the red beans and rice.. so good. We were a bit limited in our food options because there are a large number of items.. especially of the seafood, reptile and pork variety that we do not eat. But what we did eat.. we enjoyed. We had some gelato for dessert and roamed the streets of the French Quarter.. there are so many shops, so many beautiful galleries and art.. it is fun just to wander about..


The next day we had a noon flight.. so we had a quick breakfast at Cafe Beignet.. it had real coffee :) And on the way back to the hotel D had a celebrity sighting.. he spotted an excavator. Yes, he could hardly contain himself. He even volunteered a smile and a salute?


Kids are weird. And with that we said farewell to New Orleans. 


Get my post directly in you inbox with Bloglovin


Comments

  1. Hahaha...my kids would've been excited to see that excavator too! And how awesome are those dishes from Red Gravy?!?! They look so good. Glad to see that the rest of the trip went fairly well.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roaming the streets of the French Quarter in the dark sounds like fun! I love doing that too when on vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys go on some great holidays. Lucky kids. I like how your baby is all looking at that statue like who the hell are you? It was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, my boys would have been excited to see that excavator. Kids are like that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahahaha that last image is the cutest! I love it. And I can't believe no one serves breakfast? And that it was entirely deserted too. I watch The Originals and it's based on New Orleans and it is painted like a party town, up all night, sleep all day. I didn't realise just how relevant that portrayal actually is!

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you were able to make the most of the trip when things started going wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soldiering on can make the greatest vacation memories. We are TOTALLY breakfast people too--who doesn't love breakfast??? I think it's kind of strange that there weren't a lot of places open for breakfast, but I am glad that you found one that worked out well for you guys. Your little guys are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that picture of the baby next to the statue, it must have confused him. It looks like you had a great trip. I've always wanted to visit New Orleans and it's nice to see that it can be done with kids and still be fun for everyone. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures.... Looks like you had fun! What an interesting town. I went there one time many years ago. Loved the seafood . Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at cannoli pancake! And the sculpture garden looks like a lot of fun. Is it like a museum, or more like a park for everyone to enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pecan pancakes and cannoli pancakes sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pictures!
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures.
    http://www.thestylegalaxy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness the FOOD. Gimme, it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous photos! The food looks absolutely delicious!

    WritingMonique.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. despite places being closed on monday, it seems like you managed to have a lovely time! and the food looks amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks amazing and those pancakes are quite incredible - and making me feel very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, even so, it looks like it was a good trip over all. I've never understood the Monday closed thing. I get that weekends are their best business, but in a travel destination I'd think it would be important to be open all the time. I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd really love to visit New Orleans one day! One of my favorite restaurants in Buenos Aires is called NOLA and I absolutely love the food, so I know I would really enjoy the New Orleans cuisine! I personally love cafe au lait, but I guess it's not for everyone. Glad you were able to end your trip on a high note!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography