Skiing in Stowe

Happy New Year everyone!! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season with family and friends.

We spent our Christmas in Stowe, Vermont. We have been skiing for several years now and are slowly driving further and further to get good snow. So we drove up on Friday. We had some stops planned along the way to break up the 6.5 hour trip.. but the weather had other plans. Emergency alerts were issued and everything started to shut down early. But thankfully it did not impact our drive and we were easily able to check into our VRBO. 

I really don't like staying at a VRBO/AirBnB. They require too much work.. I had to pack so many things but I suppose the plus is the extra space. But I would still go with a hotel when possible. But by the time (6 months in advance) we got around to booking this trip many things were already booked or crazy pricey. Our place was absolutely beautiful and clean.. so that was a plus. 

Once we got settled in we headed out for dinner at The Backyard. The conditions had gotten worse, a lot of Stowe had lost power. The house was a bit remote and we prayed the whole way there. Let the adventure begin I guess.



The next day it was too cold to ski and the mountain was still working on opening and cleaning up trails so we took it as a break day. I had planned for a break day but it was supposed to be in the middle of the trip not at the beginning.. oh well.

We went out for a lovely breakfast in the neighboring town of Waterbury. 



Then we headed off to our first ever winter hike to a semi frozen waterfall at Moss Glen Falls. 





We spent some time in Stowe's Historic District.. everything was pretty and decorated. We even spotted a Santa driving a pickup truck.  


Enjoyed some cider at the Cold Hollow Cider Mill.. they have a live apple pressing area but was not open during the holidays.



and then we had the most massive tray of nachos at the Lower Bar. So good. 


afterwards we headed back to the house to play board games and watch movies.

Now here's where we hit a bit of a bump in the road. Considering we were coming to a resort town we assumed that restaurants would be open. But except for Chinese take out (which was going to be our Christmas dinner) everything was closed. I understand giving your employees Christmas Eve off.. I really do but as a tourist it really sucked. And we travel often over Christmas and it was the first time where some restaurants were just closed for the whole week. So we ate snacks and made hot cocoa and popcorn and made peace with it. 

On Christmas day the boys were finally able to hit the slopes. I stayed home. From those of you who have been following the blog for some time you may remember I am a nervous skier. I wrote about my panic and anxiety here. So I ski less days. I filled my time with three movies and chocolate chip cookies. And then we ordered Chinese food for dinner. 


The next day I joined in on the skiing. It was a beautiful day. The crowds were low so we hardly had to wait for a chair lift. It snowed pretty much all the time which made everything look so much more pretty and the Stowe resort had the best even if over priced cafe I have ever been to. Rice bowls, ramen, vegetarian options, Indian food, tacos.. pretty impressive. 

In the afternoon we had booked a snowmobile tour. We were supposed to do this on the day we arrived but it was cancelled due to bad weather so we had to squeeze it in with skiing. 



It was a two hour trip winding through a mountain.. there was a guide with us the whole way and it was an incredible experience. The boys loved it a little less. The sunset in the middle of our ride so the darkness was a little unnerving for D. He was afraid I was going to drive us off one of the cliffs. No confidence in mama's skills. 

Afterwards we called a bunch of places until we found a pizza place open. They had a 45 min wait we got our table in 30 mins.. okay.. not too bad. Then the waiter tells us there is a minimum hour wait to get a pizza. But we had already invested too much time in the waiting. So we bribed the kids with unlimited screen time and ordered a salad and drinks to hold us over. H fell asleep. We ordered dessert to kill more time.. and hour came and went and the waiter apologized profusely. It wasn't really his fault. Now D was starting to fall asleep. A little over an hour had passed and the waiter brought us someone else's pizza.. he said the people left without the pizza and it was our if interested. Yes! We ate someone else's pizza and then ate our own pizza. H woke up at some point in the middle and thankfully got some pizza in him. The manager comped our pizzas. 

Now I understand the tough position the restaurants were in.. with half the town closed there were very few places to go hence the excessive crowds and wait times. I felt bad for the staff.. those guys making the pizza were working tirelessly. 



We were there for another two days.. I skied one more.. the boys two. The restaurant situation didn't improve much but we did come better prepared.. many restaurants started turning people away due to too long wait times.

On our last day, before heading back home we stopped at the Ben and Jerry's factory. Ate some free samples and took zero pictures.. ski vacations are not really vacations, we were all exhausted. 

We stayed home for NYE and caught up on our much needed rest. 
       
                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Bloglovin  

Comments

  1. Happy New Year! That sounds like a challenging trip away. I'm not a fan of cold weather or snow and can't stand Chinese food so it wouldn't be my idea of fun, kudos to you all for surviving it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. a wonderful family vacation and your food photos have made me hungry - happy 2023

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos of the snow are so pretty! The restaurant situation was really tough. You guys are troopers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may have had a few bumps, but you nevertheless had a lovely trip. I've only been skiing once and it was icy and dangerous and I was traveling with a whole group of reckless teenage boys...one boy was skiing foolishly and fell and got hurt (he recovered quickly, but still...) I've never gone again, and I don't think I knew how many non-skiing things there are to do around a snow resort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun and the food looks delicious!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful snow getaway! Love the cute town to visit!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful way to spend time together! You are the most amazing mom, my friend, making the best out of a situation completely out of your control. Here is Pennsylvania, some restaurants are open on Christmas Day! This is a trip your boys will talk about for years to come. Lovely pictures! Have a cozy afternoon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You photos always make me smile due to the beautiful smiling faces! Another great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A winter wonderland! Looks like fun! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1/02/2023

    HI Hena! What a fun trip! So being in Colorado we are always curious about skiing in Vermont. We visited Vermont with two other couples last year in the fal l (Leaf Peepers Trip). Anyway, we had similar headaches with restaurants and it was a huge staffing shortage. Sounds like that was a part of the headaches. We also learned Vermont skiing has way more ice on the runs. Which freaks me out! Sounds like a fun trip and the memories are priceless. Thanks for sharing! Vermont was beautiful in the fall I can only imagine with all the snow! Visit Colorado! Happy New Year! laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Hena, Shoot my comment didn't save! Love the Vermont trip. We did a Leaf Peepers east coast trip last year with friends (after our kids left for college). So we loved it. We had staffing issues with restaurants as well. We basically grabbed food and coffee at Dunkin Donuts! Ha! Being from Colorado we are curious about Vermont skiing. I heard there is way more ice (but if you are from there you are used to it). I dislike ice and avoid skiing in January unless it's a blue sky day! happy new year! What great memories you are creating with your boys! It reminds me of our trips with the kids! Happy New Year, laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to start the new year! We are headed to the mountains this weekend to do the same. Looking forward to spending time in a true winter wonderland!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to hear your trip was marred by all those restaurants being closed. You still managed to make the most of it, it seems ... Happy New Year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really surprised that restaurants (in a ski resort area!) were closed beyond Christmas Day! I'm glad you were still able to make it a fun holiday. I love the photos from your hike!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WoW what a beautiful family holiday. We really miss the snow. Also foods look really very different and yummy. Thanks for this post. Happy 2023. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year! The skiing trips sounds fun (except the lack of choice for food). I am not surprised you were exhausted, skiing is tiring and you packed a lot in those few days. I hope you feel more confident on the slopes this year x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a busy trip. At least you did get some skiing in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the way you do trips so often - so nice! Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A sort of up and down trip away ...
    I did enjoy seeing your photographs.

    Happy New Year Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. We found the same thing on Christmas morning in Palm Springs. I never had thought about it and like you, I understand, but it does make it hard. You have a good attitude Hena especially with the pizza place,
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a shame that getting food was so challenging, but aside from that, it sounds like a pretty great trip. I'm also being nosy and trying to see what book you were reading in that last photo, haha. Looks like maybe The Sun Down Motel?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year! Looks like you are having a blast despite some bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year, Hena! That's great you guys were able to get away.
    PS I also am not a big fan of Air BnB and prefer hotels TBH.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a trip. I admire your ability to just kind of roll with the situation even so, food is a must!! I'm glad you all had fun.
    I grew up in the cold and snow in the moutain west and am not much of a skier. Give me a beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like an eventful trip but at least you spent it together! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the winter hiking pictures. Bummer about the restaurant situation though. I am not a skier but I could spend hours in the lodge just watching all the activities and reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
  27. we have last snow in Louisiana in 2017.... no snow this year....
    love to see you and your family enjoy with skiing .......
    beautiful place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  28. How fun! Happy new year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Apart from the restaurant issues (despite the holiday, surprising for a resort town at the holiday) it sounds like a lovely holiday once it all got started! And the photos are terrific. Your hike looks like it is in a winter fairy land!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Snow in the holidays is so magical!
    Happy new year!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks like so much fun! And the food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous1/03/2023

    Oh wow great to go skiing for the holidays. This looks like it was great. I can see how dinning would be a challenge with half the places closed. LOVE the photos!!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh what a great holiday vaca!! Love the photos : )Happy new Year!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a glorious start to the new year!
    Loving your photos as always, Hena.

    Happy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I had wondered where you were when you posted this on IG. Looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy New Year! we play that board game with my sister and brother in law (block-us) would you believe I got a score of ZERO (!!) Looks like another fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love all the snow pictures. We hardly ever get snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I always wanted to ski in Vermont! It looks like a fun trip! Happy New Year!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm a nervous skier too... as in, I don't ski, haha. (I have been skiing one time, and I got hurt, so I think I've had my fill of skiing!) Good for you for skiing at all!! I've never been to Vermont... or any real "winter resort" kind of town. It does look beautiful, I just need to not think about how cold it must have been, ha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography