Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

When the wall between our family room and kitchen see details here came down we had to deal with two different flooring, old carpet and newish laminate. The plan was to find the same laminate.. we found the box in the basement, how hard could it be? Harder than we thought.. that particular one had been discontinued.. and finding something similar was not an easy task.. 


Finding a flooring that was kind of close but not close enough would seem like a mistake.. so we decided to go different, this way it would seem like an intentional design choice.. I had always wanted a chocolaty dark floor.. The next thing to take into consideration was the transition between the two floors.. generally what is used it a T- Moulding, that strip you see in the above picture connecting the two floors together. Not the prettiest option. Pinterest to the rescue.. 



Adding tile to the mix would help to blend the two different brown together and there would be no awkward bump in the flooring because of the molding.. Turns out you can't do that with two laminates.. : ( There is something about expansion and warping.. so we were back to the molding.


Then my contractor removed the desk that was fixed to the wall and kitchen corner and we discovered a huge chunk of the laminate missing leaving behind a rather deep hole! We didn't have more flooring.. as D would say 'catastrophe!' My contractor's suggestion.. fill in the hole with plywood and then hid it under furniture.. we seriously considered the idea.. it would have to be something waist high.. nothing so tall that our light switch would be hidden. Nothing with legs through which the plywood could be glimpsed.. It's one of things were you have a pimple forming, no one can see it but you, but you believe that it's the only thing people can see and it's enormous. 


We thought about it for a few days, did the maths and made a decision. This is our home, we plan and hope to spend a few decades here, we are already spending the money to create our dream space. Is it really worth it to make a compromise when it will only cost a few more hundred dollars to make it perfect?


We ripped out the laminate and put in a completely new floor. We stuck with the laminate, mainly because it's cost effective. Sure it's not wood and one can be snobby about it.. but we didn't care.. and it looks beautiful. :)



We spent this weekend finalizing our paint color.. come back Monday to see what color we chose.

Have you entered to WIN an adorable whimsical art print for your child's room yet? What are you waiting for?!

Get my post directly in you inbox with Bloglovin
I am now also offering ad space. See Sponsors for more information


Comments

  1. Flooring can be such a nightmare! I think laminate is just fine, they makes ones that look really nice nowadays!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous floor!
    Good decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful. I think you definitely made the right choice. Also, I love that D says "catastrophe" - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That came out fantastically! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely agree you made the right decision. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the floor in the third picture!!! Look so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really beautiful now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How gorgeous! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had planned the floor matching thing when I moved in a few years ago. How hard could it be, right? I think they discontinue that stuff on purpose. I love what you've done. And laminate,shaminate...who cares if it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i find this very amazing! =]

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks really beautiful! great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. the new laminate looks great! I know how hard it can be to have to spend the extra money for something that you didn't plan on fixing. but it can definitely be so worth it!
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your new floor, and you're right - no compromise when it comes to something to be loved for a long time. It's worth it. xx

    www.todaymyway.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice!!!

    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11194781

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooooo... I LOVE it!!! It looks so great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous12/11/2013

    Oh my gosh I LOVE THE FLOORS WOW!! that turned out super nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it turned out really well! We've been thinking of putting in laminate too - to save a little money - they still look nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. it turned out great! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welldone looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9/23/2017

    Looks very classy, well done! I also just got my kitchen done by the kitchens supplier aberdeen - THe Home Expert, and they also did an amazing job! The kitchen looks so bright now and it's a pure pleasure to spend time in it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous4/26/2018

    What is the name or product number of the plank in the third picture? Very beautiful. Would like to see if it's still available. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, This is a great article. Loved your efforts on it buddy. Thanks for sharing this with us. How To Install Vinyl Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    Very interesting blog.
    Norton Internet Security Crack
    YouTube Music Downloader Crack
    kitchen Draw Crack
    Atube Catcher Crack
    Kilohearts Toolbox Ultimate Crack
    WidsMob Montage Crack

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks very Classy, well done! I also just got my kitchen done by the Kitchen Renovations Newcastle - Elite Kitchen Expert, and they also did an amazing job! The kitchen looks so bright now and it's a pure pleasure to spend time in it.

    Stone Benchtops Newcastle
    Kitchen Companies Newcastle NSW
    Custom Kitchens Newcastle

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us Amazing info. Fantastic post.
    Thanks For Sharing such an informative article, Im taking your feed also, Thanks.
    eximioussoft-logo-designer-pro-crack
    widsmob-montage-crack

    ReplyDelete
  26. The floor looks beautiful and what a great idea to use tile as a transition between two different floorings.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh remodeling! We've been there, done that (more than once). Proud that we accomplished it each time. Hoping we don't have to do it again. Your project looks wonderful and I love the floor trainsition you figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing blog! I really like the way you explained such information about this post with us.
    And blog is really helpful for us this website.
    Crackurl.info

    Room Arranger

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. I hope to have many more entries or so from you.

    Very interesting blog.

    WidsMob Montage Crack

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job. Keep it up!!!..
    Kitchen Renovation Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  31. I read this post, your post is so nice, knowledgeable, and very informative for us , Thank your for sharing this post Kitchen remodeling

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    Very interesting blog.
    macsoftwarez.com
    aTube Catcher Crack

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sign of aging for me is that I pay attention and appreciate flooring more. Lol! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the fresh flooring! It ties our kitchen and family seamlessly. Concrete Refresh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography