Porcupine Mountains

After a hotel breakfast we left Houghton and made our way towards Porcupine Mountains. Also known as the Porkies, it features 60,000 acres of old-growth forest, roaring waterfalls, Lake Superior shoreline, rivers, trails and ridges.    

Our first stop was an hour and a half to Lake of the Clouds. Lake of the Clouds is a quick 0.3 mile walk from the parking lot.                      



It was a cool little spot.. I think it would have been stunning in the fall.

Next we headed to the Summit Peak Trail. It was a 1 mile round trip that involved many many stairs. It is the quickest way to reach the highest point in the Porcupine Mountains, reaching an elevation of 1,958 feet.



The American cancer root, a non-photosynthesizing parasitic perennial plant that attaches to the roots of host trees like oaks (especially red oaks) and occasionally beech trees to siphon water and nutrients.



Looking down from the top of the tower.


The view from the top was fine.. I think the colors of fall would have made it spectacular but right now it was just a vast expanse of green. I mean we didn't even that a picture. 


But there were plenty of mushrooms to explore.

Our last stop was the Presque Isle River Waterfall Loop - it was 2.3 miles long and included a suspension bridge.


The trail was a mix of woods, boardwalk and stairs. The waterfalls were not in their peak but they must be quite the sight during the spring months.


There were a total of three waterfalls, Manabezho Falls, named after the Ojibway god. Manido Falls, meaning spirit or ghost and Nawadaha Falls meaning in the midst of rapids.

Because the water levels were so low we were easily able to walk onto the rocks and explore.




so so many cool mushrooms!!





an American toad!


We returned to our hotel got cleaned up and headed to the restaurant across the street. When we returned the sun was setting on the lake.. 

We are nearing the end of our trip.. tomorrow we start to head back towards home.. but not before a few more stops along the way.


                         Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle 

Comments

karen said…
those stairs would have killed me, lol. Beautiful photos of the surrounding scenery!
R's Rue said…
The photos are absolutely stunning.
rkrsrue.blogspot.com
"Lake of the Clouds" -- what a beautiful, evocative name!
I haven't been to the Lake of the Clouds in years. Thanks for reminding me of how much beauty is so close to home.
Mary Kirkland said…
What an absolutely beautiful place.
Kelly said…
What a beautiful place, and I love all the fungi!!
Liz A. said…
What a lovely place.
Oooh, I absolutely love your beautiful photos! What a magnificent place! And you all have lovely smiles!
Hannah said…
What a great name and beautiful place! That's a very impressive assortment of mushrooms. I would be very tempted to forage.
Conniecrafter said…
Oh you would totally love it in the fall, it is just wonderful with all the color. There sure was a lot of mushrooms of every kind.
Beautiful place!
Jeff the Chef said…
What a cool place to visit!
You are right, the autumn colors are amazing in all of the UP. :-)
We are just starting to turn here in Wisconsin. So far the colors are beautiful, a lot of orange and reds.
I have enjoyed reading about how you enjoyed an area of the world I love.
xo
DeniseinVA said…
Fabulous photos! I love to see where you travel :)
Joanne said…
The falls are beautiful! It looks like a lovely day of hiking.
Margaret D said…
An attractive area and I can imagine more water falling over those rocks, they do look rather smooth. The stairs, did you count them?
All the fungi is good to look at too and a sweet photo of your all.
Take care.
Stunning scenery, and I'm loving the Autumn colours! xxx
Rissi said…
More gorgeous photos look like you all had another great adventure together. :)
Darla M Sands said…
Thank you for sharing these fantastic photos! Travel safe, my dear.
Veronica Lee said…
Even without the fall colors, there’s something special about seeing all that green stretching out endlessly.
thecuecard said…
What a pretty and dramatic landscape. You've had some good hikes. Love seeing your pictures. Another great trip.
Amy Johnson said…
Happy to see you closer to my neck of the woods. I love the Porcupine Mountains. I have never seen the water so low there before.
Jeanie said…
That's such beautiful territory. It looks like you picked a grand week for your visit. I might get a bit woozy on that suspension bridge!
Ash said…
Wow, that is stunning!
Ash @ Essentially Ash
Dear Hena,
what a beautiful day in the Porkies! Lake of the Clouds is lovely even in green, although I can easily imagine how spectacular that view must be when the autumn colours arrive.
What I enjoy so much about your family trips is that there always seems to be something to discover along the way. If the waterfalls have less water than expected, there are rocks to explore. If the landscape is still mostly green, there are fascinating plants, wonderful mushrooms and even a little toad waiting to be noticed. I think that curiosity makes a journey so much more enjoyable.
I was especially fascinated by the American cancer-root. A plant that does not photosynthesize at all but gets what it needs from the roots of trees is quite extraordinary. I had never heard of it before.
The waterfall trail looks like a wonderful walk, especially with the forest paths, boardwalks and suspension bridge. And ending such a full day with the sun setting over the lake seems just about perfect.
I am a little sorry that your journey is already coming to an end. I have really enjoyed travelling along with your family through your posts. But I see you still have a few stops left for us before you head home!
Warm greetings,
Anette

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography