Celebrating D

Wow.. what a week we had! The house was bustling with people and laughter, we ate, played games and our nights were spent chatting and reminiscing till the clock struck midnight. 

To provide a little back story. We belong to a very small sub sect of the Shia muslim community. This bar mitzvah like celebration of adulthood is quite specific to our sub sect (I think) and is a very big deal and is celebrated with exuberance.

We had a religious ceremony indoors. And as it often is with events you host, you forget to take photos in the chaos. 



My mom made these incredible chicken skewers that we served with curly fries and tamarind chutney.


I had these amazing chocolate mousse tarts made by a friends daughter..


and we handed out chocolate chips cookies as a 'thank you for coming' favor. 

There was a lot more food I have no pictures of and I don't feel comfortable sharing the religious stuff but all in all it was a huge success. We were exhausted. This event required the most prep and my mom and I cooked most of the food. 

Our next event was the next day.. this was a more relaxed outdoor event. Fully catered and way less stressful.. or so we thought. 



All week the forecast showed rain. In the morning, in the evening.. it kept changing and with it my stress levels fluctuated. The morning of, there were dark clouds and the forecast predicted thunderstorms, high winds with a tornado warning and a hail storm. I mean, seriously?!


It rained on and off all morning and by midday the sky was thundering. There was no cancelling. We were going to have this party rain or shine.. 

The rain stopped. The guests started to arrive.. 



M's side of the family


My side of the family

I have no words for how blessed we are.. we had people fly in not only from California, Texas and Illinois, drive in from Canada and Pennsylvania but also fly in from Pakistan and Oman. Among us we had D's aunt and uncles, great aunts and uncles, first cousins and second cousins and at the center my great aunt and uncle. 
 

Boys will be boys and basketball reigns supreme.

Thirty minutes in and the sky opened up on everyone.. we hurried into the tents huddling under its protection.. laughing. 




It got really dark as well.. and we hadn't really considered getting lighting as the party was supposed to wrap up by sun down.  


But just as quick as the rain started.. it came to a stop and the rest of the evening was just perfect. 
 

We had catered thai food.



me and my mom. 


We hired a Nicholas Creamery ice cart for dessert. My fellow Jerseyans, if you haven't checked out Nicholas Creamery yet, do so. They have more than a few locations and even my diabetic no sugar family members indulged. 



            

                            Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle 

Comments

  1. Looks like a great event!

    Jennifer
    https://curatedbyjennifer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the rain mostly held out for you. It sounds like a really wonderful, family-filled celebration. And that ice cream look amazing! Everyone looks so nice in their finery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats to D and how wonderful so many of your family and extended family gather to celebrate this special event. Thank you for sharing the celebrations with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad the weather wasn't as bad as it could have been and that you were all able to enjoy the day and celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of yummy looking food! You had a deer visit. I think that's good luck. Wonderful you have such a close family that they'd make such long trips to come to the celebration! And the weather sort of cooperated. What a day to remember always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to D on attaining this milestone! And what a party! Glad the rain did not deter the celebrations. So nice to see a photo of you and your Mom, and photos of your extended family. And wow, the food! Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an experience -- certainly one that none of you will ever forget. That's amazing that your family and friends came from so far away -- and I'm sure they'll never forget the joy, the rain, and all that fantastic food. It sounds so very meaningful and special. And by the way, love that photo of you and your mom -- I definitely see the resemblance and you both are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! ~ Glad you had two good events ~ and weather was moderately ok ~ You are blessed with beautiful families ~ and what foods you had ~ namaste and hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I stopped by to see the photos of such a special event and celebration. Looks like everyone had a good time and great food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a glorious celebration you had! I love seeing the photos of the beautiful clothing and wow, you ended up with a huge crowd! I'm glad it was all a success. Congratulations to D!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The rain will provide a great story when you reminisce on the event. Glad you all had such a good party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to D! Beautiful photos. You all looked great. Looks like a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad the weather cooperated! It does sound quite stressful dealing with the rain. I am also glad you all were able to celebrate with so much family, what a huge blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow indeed! It sounds like a lovely family event.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Hena, how wonderful this celebration is, to see everyone attending from everywhere, absolutely fabulous! Lovely to see your family photos. So very nice to see you with your family and your mother. Congratulations to D and may he have many, many years filled with joy and happiness. The food you and your dear mom cooked looked delicious. Thank you for sharing all of this and I wish you a very happy August.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our lives could not be more different, from your enviable travels to expansive family celebrations. :) Thank you for sharing, and blessings to you and yours, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography