Eid Mubarak!
Last Sunday we celebrated Eid. Eid is celebrated after completing 30 days of fasting during the Holy Month of Ramadan. I have done multiple Eid posts in the past here are a few 2024 and 2021
Later that night we got all dressed up and headed out to dinner with friends. The dinner place I will not recommend. We had reservations and had pre ordered our dinner the night before at the restaurants request and it still took them, no kidding 3 hours to get food on the table. THREE HOURS!
We started the morning early, before dawn, to go to the mosque for Eid prayers. Afterwards we came home and after a quick refresh we headed out for Eid breakfast.
Our mosque hosts an Eid breakfast every year as well but we have a bit of a family tradition to eat out..
We ate at Edison Automat.. and if you ever find yourself in Edison, New Jersey I highly recommend it.
H teaching M how to Pokemon.
Later that night we got all dressed up and headed out to dinner with friends. The dinner place I will not recommend. We had reservations and had pre ordered our dinner the night before at the restaurants request and it still took them, no kidding 3 hours to get food on the table. THREE HOURS!
The rest of the week was pretty normal.. everyone feel back into routine.
On Saturday we hosted M's two cousin for Eid at our home. I don't have any pictures without other family members and don't want to post a pic without consent.. so you'll just have to imagine us all having a good time. :)
On Sunday a friend hosted Eid at her place.
And now I think I am all Eid'ed out. We will be out for the next week as we are travelling.. but you can follow along on Instagram and see where we go and what we get up to.
On a different note.. and I don't want this to turn into a political rant of some sort.. I actually wrote my honest to God feelings down twice and deleted it. What's the point? My little blog is not going to make anyone less racist or less hateful. If this is what you voted for and if you are happy with the way things are going well then good for you, not really much else to say.
I was scrolling through youtube as one does and I stumbled upon some historical videos made by PBS that I found so fascinating. Did you know Thomas Jefferson owned a Quran? Did you know it was also Thomas Jefferson who hosted the first White House iftar (breaking of fast) in 1805? If this sounds interesting to you then I suggest you check out this video.
The next video told the story of Yarrow Mamout a Muslim African slave who gained his freedom. His story shows us just how imbedded Islam is in the fabric of American history. It's just not the history we learn about. Yarrow was painted by Charles Willson Peale, the man who painted many of our founding fathers. His portrait currently hangs in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. You can learn more about him here. The end of this video made me cry a little. Along with all the mean spirited bigots there are wonderful kind people in this country as well, that is the America I want to fight for.

Comments
3 hours waiting for your dinner, gosh that is a very long time, you must have been starving by then.
History is amazing to read about and what we find out is so fascinating.
#47 has kicked up a storm!
cheers
sherry https://sherryspickings.blogspot.com/
Jennifer
https://curatedbyjennifer.com
Annie,
Annies Food Diary
I shared a new post; you are invited to read: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2025/04/amazing-guidingcross-hoodie-testimony-faith-hope.html Thank you.
Three hours for a pre-ordered meal? That's outrageous!
I did know about Thomas Jefferson, I've read a bit about him over the years, a very enlightened president (unlike the your current one). You might enjoy America's First Lady by Stephanie Dray, its based on the life of Jefferson's eldest daughter, Martha.
Yes, sadly bigoted idiots will argue to they are blue in the face, I hate them. xxx
I will make time to watch the video you've shared. I know some of the story, but perhaps not all of it. Sometimes it often feels like those mean-spirited bigots have a louder voice than the rest of us, and it is shameful and infuriating.
I hope you have a good time on your trip! Safe travels!
Three hours to get pre-ordered food on the table though, that's absolutely outrageous.
Thank you for sharing that video! xxx P.S. Oh and happy travels!
Take care, have a wonderful week!
Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores ~ clm
aka (A Creative Harbor)
Carrie
curlycraftymom.com
In Malaysia, Eid Mubarak is called Hari Raya Aidilfitri, and while the actual religious holiday lasts only one or two official days, the celebrations can stretch for a whole month—especially the open houses and gatherings!
Sorry to hear about your experience with waiting for 3 hours for dinner, though...and you even booked it earlier.
History is fascinating. People were a lot more mobile in the past then people realize. A lot of people travelled, shared experiences and exchanged views, there was always some kind of a cultural exchange.
https://www.kathrineeldridge.com
Three HOURS ... yikes!!
I am looking forward to your travel posts. :-)
Have a happy week!
Eid Mubarak
Yeah I try not to post or say anything political because everyone has a right to feel and vote the way they do, although for the life of me this last vote really confused me, I was so surprised by the outcome and I think he has many who voted for him now regretting it, but pray God will guide his actions and not ruin our country and world. Enjoy your trip!
There are many times I'd like to voice my political opinions on my blog or social media, but I think those who are set in their hateful ways will never change. My little blog and social media aren't going to do any good either trying to voice my anger over our current political situation and push people to change. It's a sad time we're living in, but we have to remind ourselves that this too shall pass.
I've enjoyed learning more about Ramadan and Eid. I can read all the books in the world about them, but seeing it in practice is so powerful and I am grateful that you share these moments. Thank you and many blessings to you and your family.
~Sheri
All the best Jan
All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/
Your sharing of the PBS historical videos about Thomas Jefferson and Yarrow Mamout is a powerful way to educate and offer a different perspective on the history of Islam in America.
Lovely family pictures btw and safe travels on your upcoming trip!
Have a great week,
S
https://lisalovesliterature.bookblog.io/2025/04/27/weekly-wrap-up-221-april-27th-2025/