Afternoon Munchies

Most afternoons with my coffee I will make myself and M if he's home a nut bowl. It's an assortments of nuts and dried fruits that help us get through the rest of the day without munching on chips and cookies. 


Our bowl consists of mostly familiar things and some more unique things.


2 dates which are high in fiber and high in disease-fighting antioxidants.
2 prunes which prevents constipation and is high in potassium as well as a  good source of iron.
2 figs which are a good source of both calcium and potassium and may improve bone density.
1 spicy mango sliver which I don't think has any major health benefits but are yummy. My favorites are from Trader Joes.
Some walnuts which improve gut health and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Some pecans which are a good source of calcium, magnesium, and potassium, which help lower blood pressure.
Some pistachios which can help keep your blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol in check
Some cashews which are rich in fiber, heart-healthy fats as well as a good source of copper, magnesium, and manganese - nutrients important for energy production, brain health, immunity, and bone health
Some almonds magnesium, vitamin E, and dietary fiber

Now the two more exotic elements.


These are fox nuts also known as lotus seeds. You can buy them on Amazon roasted and flavored. I buy them cheaper and in bulk at an Indian grocery store and roast them myself. And don't season them at all. I want to minimize our salt intake. Once roasted you put them and air tight container. They taste kinda like a denser popcorn. As for the benefits.. helps reduces inflammation, have antibacterial properties and are rich in magnesium and potassium as well as contain a high amount of calcium.


Lastly we add some roasted chana aka chickpeas. Now I have had roasted chickpeas and I have eaten chana that you get from the Indian store or form Pakistan and they are different but when I google them they all come out as variations of the same.. so I don't know. They have a dark brown shell like covering you have to remove before eating and also have many benefits like lowering diabetes, avoiding the risk of heart diseases, weight management and maintaining proper gut health. They also are rich in plant protein and will help you feel fuller longer. 


I take those 10 - 15 mins sometimes less depending on the days schedule to do my puzzle, listen to an audio book which is currently American Princess - The Alice Roosevelt Story and sip my coffee and munch on some healthy goodies to bring to peace to the middle of my day. 

                Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6    

Comments

  1. I love this. Such a great reminder on the benefits of all of these snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful snack to have during the day, and a selection of good nuts in there. I've never tried fox nuts or chickpeas. I'm so glad you are working on your puzzle. I've always loved to put puzzles together. And it's wise of you to stop during the day for a bit to do something for yourself and that brings you peace. I loved your post today.

    ~Sheri

    ps.....don't get me started on figs.....I keep eating them haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little difference in some of the goodies but we do the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep hearing good things about chickpeas but honestly don't think I've ever had them! This is such an assortment of healthy snacks though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great snacks for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a fantastic treat! Delicious and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh that sounds so good. I like that you take a little mental break too and work on your puzzle or listen to a book. I like the sound of the fox nuts! Brazil nuts are another good one to add to the mix, one a day gives you 100% of selenium.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are looking good, Hena. I have to admit I'd never heard of fox nuts, nor did I ever taste roasted chickpeas! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would enjoy everything in that snack mix, I think. I've never heard of fox nuts, but they sound tasty. I've also not tried the mango, but would be willing to if not too spicy. My younger daughter roasted chickpeas in her air fryer recently and said they turned out great. Cute puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you take time for you, my friend. This sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing. Steve will be very interested in it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been trying to eat more almonds, so good for you!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nutritious snacks that keep you full for longer too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like a great snack.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely idea! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea for an afternoon snack! My husband enjoys nuts but they tend to raise his cholesterol so he doesn’t indulge anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum. Mangoes are delicious - and a good source of fibre too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a nice ritual!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is an interesting and tasty looking snack assortment. Fox nuts are new to me. I will often have cashews for a snack. Sometimes I mix them with dried cherries. You've given me some new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like a wonderful snack! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love roasted chickpeas.
    Such a healthy snack, Hena.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Healthier snacks and a time to a little peace during the day are wonderful things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to try fox nuts! And the spicy mango from Trader Joe's. I don't think I've ever seen it at mine before.

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  23. Reminds me of all the chana we had when we went to the Bandra fair.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks like a very nutritious and delicious pick me up for the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh so good darling
    Good munchies

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love roasted chickpeas, so easy and tasty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've never heard of fox nuts but that looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A little afternoon respite is such a nice way to take back some time for yourself especially on busy days. I don't snack much but when I do, I usually have a handful of pistachios. The variety in your mix looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a nice healthy snack, I've never heard of fox nuts before.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, I love the two interesting items that you add to you nut mix. We have a nut mix regularly that we put together, but I haven't tried those.
    XOXO
    jodie

    ReplyDelete
  31. interesting to know about fox nuts.... never tasted its..... I'll find it in groceries.....
    Thank you for sharing new information......

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an amazingly healthy - but also delicious - snack. I appreciate that you shared the benefit of each addition!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello :=) What a delightful array of healthy snacks. I love nuts, but did not know about Fox nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous5/03/2023

    Ohh! I LOVE this post. I need to do something like this, because I've been wanting to start eating more nuts every day. Yum!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful snack. Looks so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  36. How yummy does this snack look?! Thanks for sharing with us!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looks delicious and healthy for you :) I love to eat sweet and salty together in a snack form

    ReplyDelete
  38. This looks both delicious and healthy! Thank you for sharing! Julia x
    https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a delicious and healthy snack. I didn't realize that figs could help with bone density. I'll definitely have to add a few of those to my diet, as well as the pistachios if they help with blood sugar and blood pressure, which are two problem areas for me.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I think it's important to take breaks like that and this is a tasty one! I always forget about dates -- I love them and should buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the mid-day snack. During Covid my mid-day snack was Goldfish! Bad habit to break. I love that you take a mid day break to "puzzle" or read/listen to book. I started a bad habit to hop on the Yahoo news feed. My BIL who is an NBC anchor in TN cringes everytime I mention Yahoo! laura

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Hena, Love the mid day snack bowl, the time to "puzzle" and read! I started a bad habit during Covid that included a mid-day snack of Goldfish! And, hopping on Yahoo news feed. Neither are healthy! Happy Day! laura

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography