Recent Reads

I am on a reading hiatus because of Ramadan.. spending more time reading the Quran, praying etc. But these are some my March reads.
     

The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth

Synopsis - There's only been one time that Rose couldn't stop me from doing the wrong thing and that was a mistake that will haunt me for the rest of my life.
Fern Castle works in her local library. She has dinner with her twin sister Rose three nights a week. And she avoids crowds, bright lights and loud noises as much as possible. Fern has a carefully structured life and disrupting her routine can be...dangerous.
When Rose discovers that she cannot get pregnant, Fern sees her chance to pay her sister back for everything Rose has done for her. Fern can have a baby for Rose. She just needs to find a father. Simple.
Fern's mission will shake the foundations of the life she has carefully built for herself and stir up dark secrets from the past, in this quirky, rich and shocking story of what families keep hidden.

Thoughts - This is my second book by Sally Hepworth. My first book by her was The Mother in Law and I had thoroughly enjoyed it. I equally enjoyed this one. I can't really say anything without giving things away but the I loved Fern. I listened to this one as an audio book and the narrator was brilliant, really brought the characters to life. I would highly recommend this one.



Beach Read by Emily Henry

Synopsis - Augustus Everett is an acclaimed author of literary fiction. January Andrews writes bestselling romance. When she pens a happily ever after, he kills off his entire cast.
They’re polar opposites.
In fact, the only thing they have in common is that for the next three months, they're living in neighboring beach houses, broke, and bogged down with writer's block.
Until, one hazy evening, one thing leads to another and they strike a deal designed to force them out of their creative ruts: Augustus will spend the summer writing something happy, and January will pen the next Great American Novel. She’ll take him on field trips worthy of any rom-com montage, and he’ll take her to interview surviving members of a backwoods death cult (obviously). Everyone will finish a book and no one will fall in love. Really.

Thoughts - This is my second book by Ms. Henry as well. I previously read her People We Meet on Vacation. I had found it super cute and this one is equally cute. I found myself smiling all the time, a giggle would escape my lips just as often. It had emotion bits too.. dealing with trauma, death of a parent. I would highly recommend this one.
 

The House in the Woods by Mark Dawson

Synopsis - On Christmas Eve, DCI Mackenzie Jones is called to a shooting at a remote farmhouse. Ralph Mallender believes his father lies dead inside. When three more bodies are discovered, it’s clear a festive family gathering has turned into a gruesome tragedy.
At first it seems like an open and shut case: a murder suicide committed by Ralph’s volatile brother Cameron. Then new evidence makes Mack suspect the man who reported the crime is in fact the perpetrator.
But Mack isn’t the only one with a stake in the case. Private investigator Atticus Priest has been hired to get Ralph acquitted. That means unearthing any weaknesses in Mack’s evidence.
Atticus has weaknesses of his own. Mack knows all about them because they share a past - both professionally and personally. This time round, however, they aren’t on the same side. And as Atticus picks at the loose ends of the case, everything starts to unravel in a way neither of them could ever have predicted.

Thoughts - I'm sorry but this was a dud. The twists were very few and not exactly very shocking. But I kept powering through waiting for the big reveal in the end.. and while, yes, I didn't see it coming it just wasn't worth the almost 500 pages long book. 

 

The Ones We Choose by Julie Clark

Synopsis - The powerful forces of science and family collide when geneticist Paige Robson finds her world in upheaval: Her eight-year-old son Miles is struggling to fit in at his new school and begins asking questions about his biological father that Paige can’t answer—until fate thrusts the anonymous donor she used into their lives.
Paige’s carefully constructed life begins to unravel as the truth of Miles’s paternity threatens to destroy everything she has grown to cherish. As Paige slowly opens herself up—by befriending an eccentric mother, confronting her own deeply buried vulnerabilities, and trying to make sense of her absent father’s unexpected return—she realizes breakthroughs aren’t only for the lab. But when tragedy strikes, Paige must face the consequences of sharing a secret only she knows.

Thoughts - I had this book on my bookshelf for quite sometime now and it was just never captivating enough. I was so wrong. This was really good. When you don't have a dad it's because he died or is a deadbeat. But you have something. When you are the product of a sperm donor you have nothing but questions and that is the thing that is causing Miles to struggle. And it is a difficult situation for all parties involved. The book dealt with family dynamics, finding connections and then there was the shocking twist that I did not see coming. I highly recommend this one as well, just keep a box of tissues nearby. 


                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6 

Comments

  1. I just finished The Lies She Tells for book club! It was good!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look interesting to me, I will add them to my reading list. Thanks for sharing. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the titles and your thoughts. I love reading book reviews to get ideas on what to read next. I will add a few to my list. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am am always glad to see book suggestions! It can be so hard to decide what to read or listen to next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh! I am going to look for some of these! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beach Read was a selection in our book club a couple of years ago ad w e all enjoyed it! I'm pretty sure I have at least one of the two Sally Hepworth novels you mentioned tagged at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you picked quite a few good ones this time. I'm definitely going to keep a lookout for The Ones We Choose. Thank you for the recommendation - and the tip on the Kleenex :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have an amazing knack for coming across books that sound interesting, but that I haven't yet seen. I'll definitely be adding Beach Read and The Ones We Choose to my TBR list -- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I've read a Mark Dawson book and, like you, wasn't impressed! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some good and some not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry the twist didn't merit 500 pages to get there. They can't all be winners, I guess. Isn't it funny how we can hold onto a book for a long time, not getting the urge to read it, and then it's great? And you kind of kick yourself for not starting it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed People We Meet on Vacation as well. I totally need to add Beach Read to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been dying to read Emily Henry's stuff! Good to know you like her stuff, Hena:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You do a lot of reading. That first one sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed The Good Sister too and just picked up The Mother in Law today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want to read more of Sally Hepworth's and Emily Henry's books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this book too! I love when she combines a thriller with women’s fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Good Sister looks like a great thriller

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beach Read sounds so cute! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen The Good Sister around a lot lately and it's been on my radar. I'll have to remember to get the audio version if I decide to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting list of books I need to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Good Sister sounds like a compelling read.
    Happy Tuesday, Hena.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are such a voracious reader! Thanks for sharing these.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love to read the house in the wood....
    Thank you for sharing reviews... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I use to read so much but have stopped doing that, all I read is the bible and devotions anymore, just not enough time in the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. great reviews, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing these with us. So many great books!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good reads - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those all look good!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm always looking for a few good reads for summer, so thank you for these recs!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  31. That last one sounds so interesting. Do you buy all of these or get them from the library? I do miss having the space to own my own books,
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful book reviews! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beach Read looks cute! I really need to read that author, I need more cute books in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm going to have to get that first book, like you I enjoyed mother-in-law and I liked the writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Good Sister was my first Sally Hepworth - but not my last. Thank you for these reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  36. These all sound like great reads! Thank you for sharing!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous4/06/2023

    I need to read another Emily Henry book! I haven't read that one. The Good Sister is on my list!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don't read a ton "for fun" these days, but The Ones We Choose sounds really interesting and juicy! (Must be the soap opera lover in me, ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I hope you are enjoying reading so much,
    Have a great week,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  40. These all sound like excellent reads except the dud. I don't ready mysteries anymore because there is too much time to figure it out. I figured out the plot twist for Gone Girl and the Tana French book In The Woods. I was like thats it 'm done LOL. I want to read the book Come Fly With Me.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for sharing your book reviews. The Good Sister is on my list!
    Julia x
    https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. I haven't read those books yet. Thanks for sharing.
    I invite you to visit my last post. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I always enjoy your book reviews. All of these are new to me -- and a couple sound especially interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you for sharing.
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/04/spring-and-summer-basics-every-woman-should-own.html

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for the great book reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  46. They all look interesting to me, I will add them to my reading list. Thanks for sharing. have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  47. These sound like compelling reads. I like the sound of the first book and I am going to add it to my list. I haven't read a great mystery in awhile. https://www.bauchlefashion.com/2023/04/5-tips-on-how-to-actually-wear-white.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. I really enjoy Sally Hepworth's books! I also enjoy Emily Henry too. I have only read a couple of books by both these authors but I've been trying to make it a point to read more of them since I enjoyed them so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography