Recent Reads


Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios

Synopsis - Grace wants out. Out of her house, where her stepfather wields fear like a weapon and her mother makes her scrub imaginary dirt off the floors. Out of her California town, too small to contain her big city dreams. Out of her life, and into the role of Parisian artist, New York director—anything but scared and alone.
Enter Gavin: charming, talented, adored. Controlling. Dangerous. When Grace and Gavin fall in love, Grace is sure it's too good to be true. She has no idea their relationship will become a prison she's unable to escape.

Thoughts - This was a very important read, a kind of It Ends with Us for young adults. It is so hard to identify being in an abusive relationship especially when you are dating some so hot and popular, charismatic, someone you should be lucky even noticed you. And once you realize you are in a bad relationship how do you get out of it? I enjoyed the book, like the way it was written in retrospect, the future Grace watching and commenting on her past self as she falls in love and gets sucked into this messed up relationship. 


The Lies We Told by Camilla Way

Synopsis - When Clara's boyfriend, Luke, disappears, everyone believes that he's left her, but Clara thinks she knows the truth. Recent evidence suggests that Luke had a stalker, and Clara worries that he's been kidnapped. Then Luke's older sister, Emma, who vanished twenty years ago, suddenly reappears.
Emma wants to help Clara with her search for Luke, but she refuses to talk about what happened--even though it nearly destroyed her family when she vanished. And the deeper Clara digs into Luke's mysterious disappearance, the more convinced she is that the two incidents are connected.

Thoughts - I like this one as well, I was not able to predict what was going to happen. There were many twists and turns. It was a good page turner.


The Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

Synopsis - Galaxy “Alex” Stern is the most unlikely member of Yale’s freshman class. Raised in the Los Angeles hinterlands by a hippie mom, Alex dropped out of school early and into a world of shady drug dealer boyfriends, dead-end jobs, and much, much worse. By age twenty, in fact, she is the sole survivor of a horrific, unsolved multiple homicide. Some might say she’s thrown her life away. But at her hospital bed, Alex is offered a second chance: to attend one of the world’s most elite universities on a full ride. What’s the catch, and why her?
Still searching for answers to this herself, Alex arrives in New Haven tasked by her mysterious benefactors with monitoring the activities of Yale’s secret societies. These eight windowless “tombs” are well-known to be haunts of the future rich and powerful, from high-ranking politicos to Wall Street and Hollywood’s biggest players. But their occult activities are revealed to be more sinister and more extraordinary than any paranoid imagination might conceive.

Thoughts - This was my first time reading anything my Leigh Bardugo though I have seen her Shadow and Bone show on Netflix. I liked Ninth House but I wasn't riveted. The secret societies are always interesting and Alex Stern was a well written female character. I liked the book enough to immediately rush to the library to find a copy and start reading the second book in the series, Hell Bent.


Hell Bent by Leigh Barudo

Synopsis - Find a gateway to the underworld. Steal a soul out of hell. A simple plan, except people who make this particular journey rarely come back. But Galaxy “Alex” Stern is determined to break Darlington out of purgatory―even if it costs her a future at Lethe and at Yale.
Forbidden from attempting a rescue, Alex and Dawes can’t call on the Ninth House for help, so they assemble a team of dubious allies to save the gentleman of Lethe. Together, they will have to navigate a maze of arcane texts and bizarre artifacts to uncover the societies’ most closely guarded secrets, and break every rule doing it. But when faculty members begin to die off, Alex knows these aren’t just accidents. Something deadly is at work in New Haven, and if she is going to survive, she’ll have to reckon with the monsters of her past and a darkness built into the university’s very walls.       

Thoughts - I definitely liked Hell Bent more than Ninth House. While the first book introduced us to the secret societies this book was less about them and more about Alex Stern, her cohorts and the big mission of rescuing Darlington. 

What have you been reading? 

           Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Redbubble           Zazzle           Society6 

Comments

  1. I read another book called The Lies We Told but the story is different!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.
    I invite you to visit my last post. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these reads! I don't read much because of my art journaling. But my hubby just bought me a book about the band Wham which looks interesting.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your book reviews. I will be putting the last two on my list. They sound very interesting. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that first book cover is gorgeous but I'm not sure I would want to read that intense of a book right now. Believe it or not I'm reading a cosy mystery (and liking it!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently read 7 books in a series based out of nearby Deadwood South Dakota. It was about ghosts terrorizing the small town. Usually not my thing but interesting since I know the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound interesting. I just finished "I Maury: the Life and Times of a Rebel"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hell Bent sounds interesting. Gotta add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I demand that the books I read these days be riveting. I generally set aside anything that isn't very, very compelling. I'm glad you were able to forge on and find more satisfaction in book two of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these sound fairly good, but I don't know if they'll make my wishlist or not. The cover artwork on the first really fits the title! I also like the snake cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all sound so good but I am especially intrigued by the first 2.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your latest reads, Hena! I have just finished reading The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory, which took a little bit longer to finish than expected due to lack of time - and falling asleep when reading in bed :-) Will definitely be reading more of her! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like Ann, I'm also reading The Queen's Fool as well as an Athens guidebook and Stunner, The Fall & Rise of Fanny Cornforth by Kirsty Stonell-Walker - that's Ancient Greek history, Tudor history and the Pre Raphaelite movement, no wonder my head's all over the place! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. All these books sound like good reads! Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You went from harrowing contemporary to paranormal. That's a nice stretch. I've been reading some historicals lately.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very interesting series of books, thank you for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooo....I've never read Leigh Bardugo before but have always wanted to especially since Stephen King started tweeting about her books a few years ago. Good to know this series is good! Have been really good with my reading lately, and am currently reading S by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had Bad Romance sitting on my shelf for years now. I read another by Demetrios that I loved (I'll Met You There) so I bought Bad Romance. But over the years I moved away from YA so it sits there unread. Your review has renewed my interest in it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous2/20/2023

    These all sound like fun, absorbing reads -- and each of them by an author I haven't yet read -- , something interesting to look forward to when I finally come out of the children's lit review mania I've been indulging. Thank you! (anno of anno-place.blogspot.com; for some reason can't log in...)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2/20/2023

    These sound like fun reads. And that show on Netflix. I am so going to check out this show. Thanks for the heads up!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. NInth House and Hell Bent are definitely on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of books there girl.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bad romance is interesting book for me....
    Thank you for sharing reviews for other books.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow you are quite the reader, a couple friends of mine really love to read too, I use to but my crafting has taken it's place

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do not know those authors but the lies we told seems like something I may read. I am a historical fiction reader. Great break downs of the books
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous2/21/2023

    Would love to read some of these.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these, I've wanted to read the Leigh Barudo books. They sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the recs! I've been looking at new books to start and these sound great.

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  29. You read some page-turners this round! I think The Lies We Told sounds like something I would enjoy.

    I've got a new post up featuring a neon sweater and a pair of platforms, hope you swing by!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  30. Some interesting reads to add to my list. I am in urgent need of diversifying my reading so thank you for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Lies We Told sound really good. I think it is awful when women get in abusive relationships. And my cousin was in one before. Thankfully she got out. But that book is definitely an eye opener for anyone in that position. These books all sound amazing thanks for sharing your views on them.
    https://www.bauchlefashion.com/2023/02/5-must-thrift-fashionphile-finds-crowd.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bad Romance has such a great cover.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have been reading some interesting sounding books. The first one sound like a tough read but important. I have heard good things about Ninth House and Shadow and Bone. I so need to check this out on NetFlix. I am watching the new season of YOU right now.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for the recommendations! These all sound like great reads!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm glad to hear that Hell Bent is better than Ninth House. I enjoyed Ninth House well enough but haven't been in a big hurry to read the second book. Bad Romance sounds very good. That one wasn't even on my radar so thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography