Recent Reads

Things have been busy. For those of you who didn't see my Instagrams, last week we were in Paris! And now I am swamped with the kids extracurriculars and planning for a trip back to Pakistan, we haven't been back in six years, so lots of present shopping. I also owe you a living room update.. and it's so so hot. But until I get all that figured out.. my recent reads.


An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Synopsis - Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free. Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.
It is in this brutal world that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.
But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.
There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

Thoughts - First of all I was so happy to learn that Sabaa Tahir is a Pakistani author.. it's so amazing to see representation and while the book does not focus on a religion there were so many south asian and islamic words scattered throughout the story it made my heart swell.  

Now on to the story, it was a four book series. It took me almost two months to get through the series. The story was creative, interesting cast of characters especially strong female characters, lots of violence and bloodshed. It had a Game of Thrones vibe in it's brutality and the part where no character was safe from being killed off. But and I hate that there is a but, but the story was not all consuming. I wanted to know how the story ended, I was interested. But unlike when I first read the Hunger Games or Brigid Kemmerer's Curse Breaker series or Katherine Arden's Winterwitch series; my every thought was not when can I be done with all my stupid jobs so I can just go back and read. :(



Always Forever Maybe by Anica Mrose Rissi

Synopsis - When Betts meets Aiden at the candy store where she works, their connection is like a sugar rush to the heart. Betts already knows the two of them are infinite. Inevitable. Destined to become an us.
Betts has only ever kept one secret from her best friend, Jo, but suddenly there’s a long list of things she won’t tell her, things Jo wouldn’t understand. Because Jo doesn’t see how good Aiden is for Betts. She finds him needy. Possessive. Controlling.
She’s wrong. With a love like this, nothing else matters.

Thoughts - When you read YA, which is what this is, you have to constantly remind yourself that these are hormonal teenagers without fully developed brains. Which is one of the reasons I try to stay aways from YA but then again there are some good YA's out there and I don't want to discount all of them. I received this book as a Twitter giveaway and wasn't really sure what it was about until I picked it up to read. I think it was a decent read for a teenager not yet ready for a more mature book about an abusive relationship. It stays very PG and is an appropriate story for its intended reader. 

   
                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Bloglovin  

Comments

  1. These sound interesting! I am currently reading "When No One Is Watching" for book club!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer


    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful you and your boys are doing some traveling this summer. I hope your travels are quick and safe. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that you were in Paris. It is a beautiful city! Thank you for the book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you were in Paris! One of my favorites.

    Thanks for the review. I don't think I've ever read YA since I've been an Old Adult!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These both look interesting and, as you said, YA has to be read with the intended audience in mind.

    So is the trip to Pakistan scheduled for before the boys go back to school? I don't know how you keep up your busy schedule!! (and still find time to read!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing what others are reading. Have a lovely day.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. always love seeing what you are reading and good luck with your trip to Pakistan!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting that you've been to Paris and are making plans to travel to Pakistan!
    I am currently reading The Garden of Lost and Found by Harriet Evans, which I can definitely recommend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Paris and then Pakistan! Fantastic.

    It's especially wonderful to me that the author of Ember in the Ashes is a Pakistani author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, Paris...

    The first series sounds interesting. Not all books become obsessions, sadly. If you enjoyed it, that's what matters. I don't read a lot of YA either, but there are some good ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I could handle the violence in the first book but that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always read the most interesting books. I do like YA from time to time for an easy read.
    Wow, what a fabulous trip planned,
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I remember when I read this book
    It was good

    ReplyDelete
  14. These both sound very interesting! I'm finally back on a book roll and reading again!! So jealous of Paris! I am looking forward to seeing your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You have been busy! I can't wait to hear about your Paris trip!! I haven't read these books, but I have been averaging 1 book a month, which is great for me!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful to be traveling again!

    I am excited to see the photos!

    Happy Tuesday, Hena.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paris and Pakistan BOTH sound like wonderful trips.
    And thank you for the heads up on what you have been reading. I will have to track them down.

    ReplyDelete
  18. they both sound very interesting,
    have a great week,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  19. So jealous about your Paris trip. My sister is going there tomorrow. Thanks for sharing these reads!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, a trip to Paris, how wonderful! Can't wait to see photos. The girls visited many years ago, and said it changed their lives. So much good food, historical sites, and things to see there. And you did a living room remodel? I think I missed that.

    Have a pleasant week, and try to stay cool with the hot weather you're having.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sabaa Tahir's series sounds really good! Thanks for the heads up. And really so jealous you guys are able to travel so much! We're having so much problem here still with our airport and cases going up...sigh....:(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lucky you! Paris is one of my favorite cities!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope your trip to Pakistan is wonderful. I enjoyed Sabaa Tahir's series when I read it but I understand what you mean. It's a good solid series but not as addicting as some others I've read. She just came out with a contemporary novel, All My Rage, that is getting excellent reviews so I'm eager to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay for the trip to Paris. Have a great day!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. "...these are hormonal teenagers without fully developed brains" hahaha- but it's true! And definitely what you have to keep in mind when reading YA, otherwise you get so frustrated with the characters.

    Paris! How amazing- I've never been but it's definitely on the bucket list!

    -Ashley
    https://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. These books sounds very interesting. Thank you for recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous7/15/2022

    I just finished one of the worst young reader books on the planet (The Ogress and the Orphans). I cannot recommend it, and seriously worry about young minds that might think it's a good book. The style is annoying and awkward--a massive failure--all 390 pages worth. I still don't know what the story is about. I miss the Ramona Quimby's of the storybook world.

    Am reading "Thimble Summer, by Elizabeth Enright," an amazing storyteller; copyright 1938. It's a whole other world. A Newberry winner. It's still a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful that you were in Paris! Thanks for sharing your book thoughts. I always like to see what others are reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography