Holy Month of Ramadan

I don't know.. well I do know how but I accidentally ended up changing my blog layout again. My original banner is gone. I will have to make a new one. I got a Google alert saying my blog was not mobile friendly and while I was trouble shooting I changed the layout. This was not not my first time doing it this year.. so just face slap! Anyway.. 

Today is the 3rd day of Ramadan. While some of you may be familiar with Ramadan I know many may not be. So I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you a bit about it. And if you have any additional questions.. ask away. 


We start the roza (fasting) just before dawn, there is an actual time when the roza starts so all eating must be done before then. We wake up and have sehri (breakfast) which can be as simple as a bowl of cereal to an elaborate multi dished meal. M and I try to open our eyes as little as possible so we stick with simple. We mix it up a bit with eggs and toast, cereal with fruit, I am going to try some overnight oats this time. In my opinion this is the hardest part of the fast. Forcing yourself to eat a meal in the middle of the night.  

Once the roza starts there is no intake of any food or fluids. No sips of water, no medication and while this one is where people are sometimes divided.. no lip balm, toothpaste, ointments, make up etc. 

We focus more on praying and reading the Quran during the day. While you can still read and watch tv you just want to preferably keep it PG. 

At dusk you break your roza with a date. Afterwards we have iftar (eat) Once again it may be as simple or elaborate as you like. Currently, with dusk being so late we usually break our fast with some tea and cookies or something similar and then have dinner. Many of our friends have elaborate nosh sessions all the way up till bedtime. These are the people that end up gaining weight while fasting.. lol. 

We sometimes gather at a friends house for iftar and back when we were young we used to stay up all night with friends and have sehri together. Many restaurants will stay open into the wee hours of the morning and offer sehri specials even here in New Jersey. This is when you really miss living in an Islamic country.. the whole atmosphere changes. It's such a fun vibe.

Fasting becomes mandatory upon puberty. But the old and the ill are exempt. As are women when they are pregnant, nursing as well as menstruating. 

The boys do fast occasionally during Ramadan. They do it quite enthusiastically, trying to beat last years number. They usually fast on weekends though they have fasted on some school days as well. We let them do as many as they feel comfortable with. 

I hope I explained this well. Hit me with any questions you may have. 
  
    
                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Bloglovin  

Comments

  1. Happy Ramadan. I know a bit about it just because I watch Turkish shows and I looked it up. Never seen it on a show though. I had some of my friends tell me TV isn't allowed but I guess it depends on who you ask. Inshallah!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. may you have a blessed Ramadan. Thank you for the explanation, I found it informative! I love how your Ramadan consists of a belonging community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for explaining Ramadan to me. It is so interesting. I laughed when you said a few people gain weight while fasting lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a good Ramadan and look forward to the big party when Eid arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this. I've known that Ramadan is a holy month for a long while, and that fasting is involved. And that was about it. So I've learned a good deal today. I think the medications/water thing would be a tough one but the rest and wonderful discipline -- although I can imagine that Daylight Saving Time has its challenges. Breakfast (sheri?) might be a little later giving you time to get up and ready -- but at least here in Michigan dusk is around 8:30 p.m. Where you are, east of us, it might be a little earlier. these days, which is pretty late! The tea and cookies is a good idea!

    I wish you good thoughts during this month. And that all the goals and purposes of Ramadan bring you peace and love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love learning first hand about others' religion and culture, so thanks for sharing! Much like Lent, I'm not sure if it sounds right to say "Happy Ramadan", so I'll just say I hope you're blessed during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramadan Mubarak.

    Thank you for sharing. I wondered when children began the experience of Ramadan themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for properly explaining Ramadan, Hema, especially since we have several neighbours observing it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so informative. I knew some of it but not all of the details. I would have a hard time w/out water but I guess you get used to it. That's funny about the people gaining weight during fasting. I love that Muslim restaurants stay open late and offer specials..even in NJ!

    I like you new blog look. I noticed right away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing Ramadan with us, blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No water? I wish you well. (I'm not sure if saying "happy Ramadan" really applies...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about your blog problem. It's the same way with Wordpres - they keep making changes which mess up my blog. Good luck getting it fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was wonderful to read Hena. I had never heard the meaning and practice, so thank you for that.
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for explaining everything so well. I have always wondered exactly how this month was observed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah yes I am familiar I work with people who are religious and are following this, my coworker is currently fasting.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! Thank you for sharing this. I am so glad to understand so that I can adequately explain it to Flynn, as we are studying this in school. Have a blessed week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you. I hope that your Ramadan is a wonderful and meaningful experience for you. I am still laughing at people gaining weight while fasting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was wonderful to learn these things about Ramadan! Have a blessed month!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for explaining what Ramadan is all about. Good luck on figuring out your new blog layout!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knew some of this but learned quite a bit. Why no chapstick, toothpaste, etc? I think it would be very hard not to have water and chapstick throughout the day, so I think I can see the chapstick...Have a blessed month.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this! I didn't know much about Ramadan and everything that goes into the fasting. I'm sure not having water must be so difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like to break my fast with some homemade broth. Wish you a wonderful Ramadan!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting to learn more about Ramadan. Ramadan Mubarak to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing this, Hena. It reminds me a lot of our Lenten season but also a lot different obviously. :P Have a blessed Ramadan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for refreshing my memory on what Ramadan is and how it's celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh very informative post darling

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Ramadan since Spain ^^

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ramadan Mubarak to you and your family :)

    Corinne x
    https://skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wishing you and the family a happy Ramadan! I loved reading this post and learning more about this beautiful holiday.

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you, Hena, for explaining this. I loved learning about the traditions as well as the meaning behind Ramadan, especially the reminder to not be wasteful of God's blessings, and to have compassion for those who are suffering. Wishing you a peaceful and meaningful Ramadan.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for the proper explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very interesting, thank you for explaining so well!
    I have done fasting ocasionally during the time I lived in India, as I wanted to understand some traditions and festivals better. It was a good experience, but I'm not so sure I could manage without toothpaste the whole day...
    Have a great weekend,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  33. You definitely explained it well. I love to have a better explanation on it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's always interesting hearing about other people's religions, especially since the news often only shows the extreme viewpoints. I would find it impossible not to drink water. I'm constantly sipping water.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for sharing. I knew a little bit about Ramadan, but not a lot. I learned a lot here today. I knew about people not eating, but I didn't realize even water can't be sipped. I would find that challenging for sure.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Ramadan (Ramadan Mubarek) Dear friend! Greetings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography