How Many Museums?

We are planning a little New York City staycation in November. And I was pondering over which museums to visit when H asked 'how many museums have we been too?' I didn't know. A decent amount I would think. I know there are a couple we have done more than once. So that got me going back as far as 2008. M and I had been married one year and that's when not only did we start travelling but that's also how far back I have pictures from.. I barely have any pictures from before then. I digress but I do hope to be able to visit my parents home (back in Pakistan) in the not too distant future and I want to go through all our childhood pictures and scan them.

Any.. we were talking museums. I am not adding botanical garden, zoo's and aquariums to this list. 

1. De Cordova Sculpture Park, Massachusetts


We went on a fall leaf peeping trip all the way up to Maine.. pre blogging unfortunately so don't remember all the details but M was very skeptical about a sculpture park and set aside only an hour for it. We spent way more than an hour. 

2. Lourve, Paris


Before we started planning to have D we thought we'd go on a great European adventure. 8 cities in I think it was 16-17 days. Looking back it sounds insane. I wish I had kept a better record of the trip.. it was an adventure for sure. The Lourve was an obvious choice on our list of to do's.

3. Rodin Museum, Paris


We also visited the Rodin Museum while in Paris. I don't know if Les Invalids or the Palace of Versailles would count as museums per se, so I am not including them in this list. We had run all across Paris checking off boxes. Next time we go to Paris I just want to stroll the streets ala Midnight in Paris and run around less. 

4. The Vatican Museums, Vatican City


Can we even remember a time before selfies existed? M had a blackberry and we had navigated all of Rome via a map! Angles and Demon's was the IT book of the year and M had read it on the plane and insisted we visit all the sights mentioned in the book. 

5. Farmer's Museum, Cooperstown, NY


We didn't travel anywhere all of 2010.. D was born that summer. Here D is a couple months shy of turning one and we had attempted our first very low key trip upstate. There we visited a very quaint and charming Farmer's Museum.

6. Please Touch Museum, Philadelphia



We have been to the Please Touch Museum twice. Once when D was little and then again when H was little. I love this museum. It is absolutely adorable. 

7. Smithsonian Natural History Museum, DC



I love the museums in DC. We have been to the Natural History one twice. Once when D was two I think and again just a couple of months before we went into lockdown.

8.  Air Space Museum, DC




We've been to the Air Space Museum three times! It never gets old does it? And the fact that all the museums are free is awesome. 

9. Natural History Museum, NYC


This was a solo trip I had made with D to the city. It's crazy that we have been to the DC museum that many times but the New York museum's just an hour away we ignore. Hence the little staycation in November. This reminds we that M and I have also been to MOMA pre kids but I don't have any pictures.. and we all know, if you don't have any pictures then did it really happen? 

10. Liberty Science Center, New Jersey



We have been to the Liberty Science Center twice as well.. There are so many things we have done before H was born or when he was too young to remember that we have to do them again. But LSC is a great museum.. so many hands on activities for the kids.

11. ARoS Aarhus Art Museum, Denmark


It was a cool museum.. especially the Rainbow Panorama Window. You can see a time lapse video I made of it here. But both the museum and Aarhus itself were not worth the drive all the way from Copenhagen. May be if he had spent a night there we would have felt less hurried. 

12. Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Denmark


We had planned a visit to Frederiksborg Castle and Gardens and then had stopped at this museum on the way back to Copenhagen. The museum was very close to the water.. its garden was right on the edge of the water in fact. It was a lovely place. 

13. Hamilton Sculpture Garden, New Jersey


This is another favorite of mine. But we have only been here once. I keep planning and intending to go but things never work out and with it being so close to home it gets pushed to the back burner. 

14. The British Museum, London


This was our last great big adventure, the summer of 2019 before Covid hit and we haven't had a big adventure like this since. So we look back at this trip with a great fondness. The museum was nice too.

15. Tate Modern, London


I am not a huge modern art fan. Neither is M. But that doesn't stop us from visiting modern art museums. We're weird that way. Sometimes art surprises us. Even though it was not too long ago.. I don't not remember my feelings towards Tate. I remember a few interesting pieces.. but mostly because I have a picture of them. It was a huge museum, that I do remember. 

16. Karel Zeman Museum, Prague


We had a couple of extra hours to kill while we were in Prague. This museum happened to be just around the corner from our hotel so we popped in. Karel Zeman was one of the most significant Czech directors, screenwriters and fine artists, renowned for his special effects. It was a cool little museum.   

17. Children's Museum Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna


The Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna had it's very own children's museum. It was a delightful space. How awesome it this picture! 

18. National Railway Museum, York
 

This was a great big museum.. had so many many types of trains to explore. Its a train lovers dream come true. H had bought a little train souvenir from the gift shop which he then accidentally left in our Isle of Skye BnB. He was devastated. 

19. Sciencenter, Ithica, NY


We were visiting Watkins Glen on 4th of July weekend and decided to check out the Sciencenter before we headed back home. I am always in awe of interactive children's museums. We never experienced such things growing up. 

20. Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, NY


This I guess was the last museum we visited. On our way back from Lake Canandaigua we were going to be passing through Corning. The glass museum had raving reviews. We were skeptical but so thankful we went. We spent way more time there than we had expected. 

What have been your favorite museums? 
Any New York museum you are especially fond of? 
I want to go to the Van Gogh immersive experience but I just just checked and they are sold out for the days we are going :(  I have heard about ARTECHOUSE as well as Arcadia Earth which are both immersive experiences, I should probably check their availability as well. And then do a second regular museum. Museum of Natural History is the obvious choice. There are just too many cool museums to choose from. 

                  Etsy           Instagram           Twitter           Bloglovin  

Comments

  1. I love going to museums!

    Jennifer
    Curated By Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun, fabulous photos documenting your international museum visits! The only one I've been to on your list is the Vatican Museums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to quite a few of these myself. Please Touch is a favorite of ours of course!! I always wanted to check out the Sciencecenter in Ithaca when our daughter was in school up there but our kids were older by then. Corning has been on my list too! That trip you guys took to Europe sounded amazing!! The Louvre and The Vatican were two of our favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a wonderful post that i am sure took forever to put together!! i wanted you to know how much i appreciated it!! your children are very lucky to have traveled so much, they will really appreciate those experiences some day!!

    your pictures are lovely. paris, i am only a tad jealous!! we have been to every museum in washington at least twice and all in nyc too. i loved the newseum in washington a lot but i am NOT a huge museum person!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely to see you before the boys were born and how they’ve grown. Such a beautiful family! Wonderful travels too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been to a lot of museums. I love going to them and this makes me want to travel again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun idea for a post! I have been to the Louvre and Vatican and would love to see both again. There are some cool museums in DC and I'd love to go there eventually.

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'm absolutely in awe of the number of museums you've visited. From your list, I've only been to the Tate in London. I haven't even been to the Louvre yet! I've visited the British Museum, the Design Museum, the London Film Museum and several others in London, and of course most of the museums in my hometown Antwerp, and quite of few elsewhere in Belgium.
    I'm certainly not as well-travelled as you: 8 cities in 16-17 days sound truly hectic, and it's only something we can achieve when we are young, I think! Must have been quite an adventure! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely visits, I would love to visit the Rodin museum one day, missed it on my only trip to Paris years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. museums,botanical garden, zoo's, aquariums and galleries are among my favourite places.
    I hope that you can go and visit your parents soon.
    International travel is still largely banned here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a good idea to make a plan to see the close by museums. It's so easy to forget the places that we can get to easily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun, fun post!! I love museums and have been to quite a few. Of the ones you've shown here, I've only visited four: Smithsonian, Louvre, Vatican, and British Museum. I would happily go back to any of them since there's never enough time to see everything. There are still many I'd like to see, the Field Museum in Chicago being at the top of my list. (I've only visited the Art Institute and the Shedd Aquarium there). In recent years, my favorite by far was the WWII Museum in New Orleans. And while not on the scale of anything here, I like the Museum of Natural Resources in Smackover, AR. It's a fun, kid-friendly place. I've found many small towns have hidden treasures like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hena, this is so awesome! That's great that you've seen all these, and that the kiddos love going too! That's how you create the love for art:) The Musee Rodin and the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam are probably my faves, but also love our local Royal Ontario Museum:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing your boys, they are adorable! I think my favorites are the first one, the giant hand, Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just love going to museums too, and you live in a great place to visit so many.
    We were going to go to the Van Gogh thing but it's so expensive. We decided to forgo it because of that.
    I have never thought to keep track of all of the ones we've been to like you just did. What a great idea.
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love visiting museums! You've been to some great ones!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a fun look back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. From your list, I've only been to the outside of Louvre Museum! I guess museums are not my thing. But I did want to visit the Van Gogh Museum. Alas, it was not in the itinerary of the guided tour we were on. We visited a diamond museum in Amsterdam though.

    Fabulous photos, Hena.


    ReplyDelete
  19. So many amazing museums here! I think the African-American museum in DC was my fave. I was touched by several of the exhibits.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. my husband and I love art museums but I will willingly go to a science or history museum as well. I remember those days of going to children's 'touch me' museums long ago. Great fun at keeping tabs of where your kids are running off!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool museum. So many interesting sculptures. The photos I liked best were the ape and the two boys, the dinosaur, the HAND, the one of you with the winged horse, and there's just something magical about the carousel. It has always touched my heart.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also love visiting museums whenever we travel. The Tate Modern and the V&A are two of my faves in London andI adore the Musee D'Orsay in Paris. In NYC, you can't go wrong with the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Guggenheim though the Museum of Natural History would probably be more interesting for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh these inviting snspshots have me longing to pack my bags and start traveling! I love a good museum ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoy museums, but I've never been to one in New York. I'm sure I'd like MOMA. I like the various museums of the Smithsonian, the Dali Museum in St. Pete, Florida, and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, you have been to so many wonderful museums! Love all of the cute family photos too. The Air and Space Museum is not too far from where I live so we have been there several times because it's my son's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's great that your kids have been exposed to so many museums! The last two museums I went to in NY were the 9/11 Museum, and the Museum of the City of NY. Not sure that either of those would be good choices for your kids until they're older. Next on my list is the Tenement Museum downtown, but for your kids, maybe Museum of The Moving Image, NYC Fire Museum? I having been to either, but they sound like fun! Too many to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, you've been to so many museums! Whenever we travel, we always make a point to visit a museum. There's so many amazing and interesting things to see. I love that you are exposing your kids to them!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love visiting a museum whenever we're traveling- a good way to soak up some history! Just this past weekend we were in Nashville, which has a to-scale replica of the Parthenon (complete with a ton of Greek artifacts). We just had to go see it- it was awesome!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful photos of great times. I haven't been to any museums for years but I'm hoping to go to the National Gallery and The Tate next month.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a fun post. That's a lot of museums (and I WOULD add Versailles, etc., although I can see why you didn't for this post.) It's fun to see you all through the years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography